Is it possible to patch a real Import cartridge?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Nottulys, Mar 28, 2011.

Mar 28, 2011
  1. Nottulys
    OP

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have JUMP Ultimate Superstars, digitally and patched, and also in authentic Cartridge Form, now heres the question, can I use a program that I can use through the GBA port(at least), to patch the English Translation, onto the real Cart?

2. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Not that I know of [​IMG]

3. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    No, it's on a ROM chip (Read Only Memory) i.e. it cannot be changed at all.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Short version- no

Longer version- it might be technically possible but nothing has been attempted and it would be extremely convoluted.
    I sense I might live to regret this (you have clearly put a bit of thought into this, most others that ask the question have not) but
    The GBA memory is accessible in the DS mode, the required data (significantly less than 32 megabytes aka the size of the GBA memory) could be stashed there, then some form of jump loader and action replay combination (you might be able to do it all in AR with something like nitrohax but I would not be fun and likely require a massive amount of cheats) could redirect things accordingly and patch out things to read from the NOR/GBA memory of a flash cart.
    That would be an awful lot of effort though for no real gain- I only really expect to see the GBA memory used like this if speed or space limitations require it.

Simple alternative possibility- (this assumes you are not happily with simply firing back a save at your real cart as an when) back when the first DS rom using carts appeared save patching was unreliable to say the least and many times did we have to put compatible games in the DS slot or passme for the game to save or indeed work in the first place (the first mario kart patches to arrive being especially troublesome for this). Minor problem might be that the patch you are likely using changed the games text encoding methods. Fine for playing but any saves that have names and the like in might not work properly (it is quite not so bad these days or at least I do not see the threads as much but out of region saves was troubling for many people back when- final fantasy three had a fairly good thread for that sort of thing).
    GBA slot flash carts (the EZ4 is about the only thing you are likely to find these days- supercards maybe although I am not sure they can and if you are paying out you might as well get something that also does GBA games well) should still run it (it was a late 2006 title and many of those stuck out into 2008 or even early 2009) so you could run it from that and have it save to the actual cart if you prefer that.
    Not sure if you want to go to all the effort of patching a save patch out of a game but leaving the "get the game to run" code it.
    You will also need to run flashme on your DS unless you especially want to track down a passme (you do not).

5. Nottulys
    OP

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Alright thanks for clearing that up fellas...much appreciated.