Homebrew Is it possible to imitate Action Replay codes in Homebrew?

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. There will likely be something built into the region-free launcher at some point in the future. Smealum is messing with it.

Not for DS games though.

Last edited by TheCruel,

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Alright. Well I'm trying to get a cheat code to run on a legitimate cartridge. Is there any way to do that on a 3DS without using an Action Replay? I heard something about Nitrohax being used to do something on a flash cart, and then using wizardry swapping the cartridges out and applying it to the physical copy of the game.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. Well I'm trying to get a cheat code to run on a legitimate cartridge. Is there any way to do that on a 3DS without using an Action Replay? I heard something about Nitrohax being used to do something on a flash cart, and then using wizardry swapping the cartridges out and applying it to the physical copy of the game.
We can not modify DS mode code from 3DS mode.
What?

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
YES!!! I have always wanted to use codes on DS Games! Now I don't need to worry about those ol' DS codes!!!
You can't:
We can not modify DS mode code from 3DS mode.

And to the OP:
Use NTR-CFW 3.0 for cheats on 3DS games
Use an action replay (DS flashcart whitelist CIA!) for cheats on DS games

Reactions: teampleb

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Nitro hax would work on an original DS/DS lite. The DSi and especially 3ds do different things upon ejecting/inserting carts in the middle of play (which is to say they actually handle it unlike a DS/DS lite which is should never happen for but they can still make things happen for.

Your best bet would be to either get some save dumping hardware, dump the save, use an emulator to cheat and then put the save back or get a DS/DS lite and a flash cart (most will do) and use nitrohax/save dumping there. Or get a DS flash cart for your 3ds if that is a workable option.

Theoretically there are ways one could make a hacked save that then initiates some kind of cheat from within the DS game ( http://hackaday.com/2014/12/31/running-nintendo-ds-unsigned-code-with-audio/ is a very similar line of logic and I believe some people were experimenting with this sort of thing for the save DS wifi project). Likewise the 3ds custom firmwares can cheat with 3ds games as they operate in a certain way, purely from a software and electronics perspective the DS mode/backwards compatibility layer could be similarly altered to cheat in DS games. Nobody is going to do that though as it is all very abstract and just as easily solved by buying a cheap device, and in the case of DS backwards compatibility nobody has really investigated it from what I have seen -- the "play blocked carts" thing is only a thing because the older versions of the compatibility layer are available and as far as I am aware nobody has even really looked at it to hack it in any meaningful way (any flash cart would work if they had, not just "if it once worked on the 3ds then it will again".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout