Hacking Question Is it OK to just update microSD software on 3.00 Switch?

edepot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a Switch that has never connected to the internet is updated to 3.00 with Pokken cart, is it OK to stick a microSD into the slot and get the software so microSD works?
Or will Nintendo Switch secretly contact Nintendo and check the firmware version and force you to update firmware to above 3.00 as well?

Need an answer before trying this out. I wish to use microSD, but heard that it needs to get software first via an internet connection on first insertion of microSD.
But want to keep Switch at 3.00 for future homebrew.

If it is OK, also need correct procedure to avoid updating firmware.

D

Deleted-355425

I wouldn’t risk it, as soon as you connect it will try and update to 3.0.2.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe putting a micro sd card in the Switch can force any update on you. Though I'm on the latest firmware so i personally can't verify for you.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are you people talking about? you mean the SD will not work on FW below 3.0.0 or that the SD will still not work even after you update to 3.0.0
until you connect to online? that it has to download something from online that is not included in the FW update for the SD card to work?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what are you people talking about? you mean the SD will not work on FW below 3.0.0 or that the SD will still not work even after you update to 3.0.0
until you connect to online? that it has to download something from online that is not included in the FW update for the SD card to work?

Nintendo said:

D

Deleted-355425

To use 64gb and up micro sd cards (sdxc) you need to download a patch, if you want thatvpatch you have to go online and let the switch grab that patch but we don’t know if it’s bundled in with a firmware update too now.

Reactions: weatMod

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also use an sdxc card by formatting it as FAT32. (Without updating)
Though you would still be stuck with the limitations that FAT32 brings rather than exFAT.

I've personally done this with my switch, I'm using a FAT32 formatted 64GB sdxc card in it.
Without ever having connected it to the internet or updating it.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

edepot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly, the update for the microSD card and the update for the firmware are separate processes. They update different areas of the Nintendo Switch. In other words, you don't need a firmware update to update the code for using >32GB microSD cards. So if someone has done this before, or someone who wants to try, can you check whether going online for the microSD automatically calls the function to check firmware version?

Isn't there an option in the menus that you have to click to make the version check and update? If you don't click on it, you should stay in 3.00.
Also, lets say it does contact Nintendo and lets you know that a firmware update is available. Can you then shut off your Nintendo Switch, turn off wifi router, turn it back on and pretend nothing happened?
Once the Switch knows a firmware update is available, does it write something inside the Switch so that you can't play any more games unless you update? (I hardly think that would be the case).

Can't you go online just for the microSD, but refuse the firmware update, but still good to go?

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by 8BitWonder,

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States