Is it easy to replace a N64 joystick?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Sportsmaniac1322, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Forman's Basement
    I have 2 N64 controllers and both the joysticks are totally worn out. They don't stand up straight anymore, they just flop around and lay whichever way I put the controller down. How easy is it to replace these, and does anyone have a link to a tutorial? I have some experience soldering, but I'm by no means an expert. Lastly, should I even bother? I don't know how much N64 controllers are right off the top of my head, but would it be a better option to just buy 2 new controllers? Thanks in advance.

2. Crimsonclaw111

Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    I don't think 64 controllers need soldering... just replace the plastic joystick. I haven't looked in a while, but it shouldn't be too hard.

3. savior-of-twilig

savior-of-twilig Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    Escondido, CA
  4. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Forman's Basement
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Why can't our controllers now be this easy? Of course our controllers now also don't wear out, so I guess I'll just live with it [​IMG].

5. TwinRetro

TwinRetro GBAtemp Guru

Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    Mario Party was the ultimate joystick killer...it also wore a giant blister in the middle of my palm [​IMG]

6. savior-of-twilig

savior-of-twilig Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    Escondido, CA
    My analog stick broke when the mini-game came up that you have to spin the stick around to win tug of war against bowser. [​IMG] At least it was an easy fix once i found the Tut.

7. Potticus

Potticus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 30, 2010
    United States
    Oklahoma
    Ohhh so truthful.
    It was also a button killer.

I wore a few Z buttons out in my time playing goldeneye [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice