is inkscape good?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by 3bbb7, Jan 9, 2013.

1. 3bbb7
    OP

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    I've been using paintdotnet for a while and have got used to it. I dont have photoshop and just found inkscape which has lots of features that are the same. It is a vector editor not bitmap like paintdotnet, so its like photoshop sort of.

Anyone use it and is it good?

(running windows)

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Photoshop is raster/bitmap-focused as well, actually. It's vector stuff is basic at best and mainly used to tie in to other functions (making selections, masks, defining strokes to a bitmap layer, etc.) because Adobe's product for vector art is Illustrator.

Inkscape is like the Paint.NET of vector stuff, neither are close to photoshop's abilities/goal, but they work just fine for most edits/creations normal people need to whip up on the spot.

3. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    Do you recommend having both ? Im not sure if I should try inkscape because im so used to paint.net. Ive used photoshop before so I know some of the things it can do, and i really like the text layer editing thats really helpful.

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    There's certain things that are easier to do in both programs, I do suggest trying out Inkscape as vector art, while different, is still a good art form.

5. 3bbb7
    OP

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    thanks I'll try it