is inkscape good?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by 3bbb7, Jan 9, 2013.

Jan 9, 2013

is inkscape good? by 3bbb7 at 9:21 PM (254 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. 3bbb7
    OP

Member 3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been using paintdotnet for a while and have got used to it. I dont have photoshop and just found inkscape which has lots of features that are the same. It is a vector editor not bitmap like paintdotnet, so its like photoshop sort of.

Anyone use it and is it good?

(running windows)

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Photoshop is raster/bitmap-focused as well, actually. It's vector stuff is basic at best and mainly used to tie in to other functions (making selections, masks, defining strokes to a bitmap layer, etc.) because Adobe's product for vector art is Illustrator.

Inkscape is like the Paint.NET of vector stuff, neither are close to photoshop's abilities/goal, but they work just fine for most edits/creations normal people need to whip up on the spot.

3. 3bbb7
    OP

United States
    Do you recommend having both ? Im not sure if I should try inkscape because im so used to paint.net. Ive used photoshop before so I know some of the things it can do, and i really like the text layer editing thats really helpful.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    There's certain things that are easier to do in both programs, I do suggest trying out Inkscape as vector art, while different, is still a good art form.

5. 3bbb7
    OP

United States
    thanks I'll try it