1. janobi

janobi Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Or a talented hacker like geohotz takes up the mantle and hacks it. Only reason the ps3 got hacked was because of the progress he made. Yes fail0verflow had linux running on it, but George is the one who hacked it.

2. aadz93

aadz93 GBAtemp Аdministrator

Korea, North
    it would take a someone with a lot of free time and a lot of money to blow to hack the xbone

microsoft has been around for almost 50 years, it's not like they don't know what they're doing, plus they sell hardware at a loss (less people are willing to pay $599+ for a new xbox) and recoup that cost via software and online purchases, so drm is much much more important to get right, and they've been writing code since 1975

Last edited by aadz93, Oct 12, 2020
    Cosmopool likes this.
  3. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Still waiting on a softmod style cfw for xbox 360 systems to happen if anything.

4. aadz93

Korea, North
    no, you cannot run unsigned code without hardware modification, the 360 is built from the cpu wafer up to not be modifiable via software, ram is encrypted, and uses virtual addresses,

for people who understand linux:

360 games run in root (su), to have the necessary resources to run, however the part of the 360 that tells the cpu what code is allowed to be treated as executable code and performs memory encryption and hashing is the hypervisor, the hypervisor runs effectively as super root (supersu), due to a programming flaw in ONE 360 kernel revision, homebrew is possible, since now we can hijack the boot process and load a new hypervisor that has its security features disabled

Last edited by aadz93, Oct 12, 2020
  5. Benzter

Benzter Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I agree I used to hack every console I had back in the day for one reason to back up my games on disk.Back then they were very easy to scatch and damage.Now days they are all on blurays and you have to seriously throw them against the wall or run them over to damage them.I see no piont in hacking a console nowdays.Even emulators for retro consoles that you would be able to play on hacked consoles only have got way better on pc then any other console.I honestly think we are as far as were going to get on that mountain for a long time to come.

6. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Modded consoles are overrated it's nice to have but it isn't a necessity. I have alot of modded systems and I barely have time to play with them I spent more time downloading games than playing them.

7. Benzter

Benzter Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I do own both and I have to reply to your comment and say I disagree with a big grin.Xbox one is horrible at installing your game.Who wants to go buy a game only to hope it installs when you get home.Its pathetic.Microsoft has a sorry engineer team that are lazy and dont test there products fully buddy.PS4 has none of those problems.Kind of makes the games irrelevant in my opinion.Yes I do know you can download games but you dont own them,Microsoft does.Lets say you have to wipe your console for a new hdd or console.Whoop there goes all your games and another couple of days of downloading.What a joke.lol

8. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    To my knowledge the PS4 does the same thing remember our physical disks are useless nowadays. RDD2 and TLOU2 you have to download 100gb before you even play the game :wacko: the 1TB HD doesn't do any good when already 12% of your space is gone from 1 game. PS4/XB1 you can copy your HD and it's going to take a while to do a full transfer this is a problem both competitors have. I rather have a slower play speed versus sacrificing all my HD just to play 4 games. Imagine how I feel having a launch PS4 with only 500 gb

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  9. nicolasotto

nicolasotto Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    The big question is xbox one is the first modern console that never hack?

10. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well yes and no technically you can do homebrew via DEV Mode I think I'm not 100% sure but I do know that you can run emulators and maybe kodi? For backups no as of right now

Stealphie likes this.
  11. aadz93

Korea, North
    dev mode is the biggest reason why xbone hasn't been exploited, since you have enough access to write homebrew, but not enough to pirate games or run a different OS

dev mode can run emulators (iirc retroarch), kodi, and most things written for uwp

exploits and cfw are created initially to allow such home brew with piracy coming later, since we have the ability to write homebrew, nobody really needs an exploit, unless they want to pirate, or even less so run windows or linux on xbone

i'd be curious only to run linux and windows, it would make a good video editing and effects rig, use the hdmi input and edit video in real time.

i also wonder how good it is at mining crypto .....

Rafciu and godreborn like this.
  12. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    ^ this cause of dev mode took the wind out of the sails of a lot of devs i have a dev mode license myself and enjoy retroarch on it though by disabling file explorer access it's a pain to sideload roms via USB and Add required bioses

13. nicolasotto

nicolasotto Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    I was referring to the possibility of loading backups, that is going to be detrimental to being able to enjoy online, but I also maintain that those who use backups are to enjoy the single player.

14. rsx

rsx USA Modchip Installer
    Newcomer

United States
    I wouldn't want to modify mine because there's no reason for it. I play online, and digital games are incredibly cheap these days. We're not at predatory pricing schemes from companies like Game Stop anymore (they're on their way out, good riddance) and the days of going to a store are long gone.

Microsoft was nice enough to give us Kodi. Although it seems trivial, that's more than sony has ever done. Back when I modified my 360, they caught me and flagged my console but never got banned. Sony, on the other hand, did ban my console. Microsoft gets my money these days, Sony does not. So even if I could install a modchip for a customer, I wouldn't do it. Not just because I don't work on anything current generation, but because they were nice to me. And despite public opinion, Bill Gates is not an asshole, he's given away some $50 billion dollars already and chipped in a significant amount towards covid research.

Off topic but do people pirate windows 10? Probably, but not like the old days because its free with every computer and with every upgrade from windows 7 and 8. I spent a few minutes on google, there are legitimate vendors who sell keys for $25, and the iso is free from microsoft. It's still free if you don't activate it (but there's a few limitations) and it's also free for students. So, I guess my point is that they did all they could do negate any reasons to rip them off.

TheMasterPlan and cvskid like this.
  15. nicolasotto

nicolasotto Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Undoubtedly the games pass policy is excellent, which makes it unnecessary to resort to a possible hacking, that is, the possibility of loading backups.
    Perhaps there is some kind of hacker who performs this backup hack in the dark and launches it unexpectedly and unexpectedly. I mention it as a kind of way of personal motivation

16. contezero

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    You want almost free games on xbox one? Follow those steps: do a one month subscription to game pass (first time is free). Download all the games you may be interested in, disconnect the xbox one from the network (disconnect the ethernet cable or cancel the wifi password) and then you can enjoy the games for months after the subscription has expired. The trick is: when you power down the xbox one also disconnect the power plug; the xbox one doesn't have an rtc and he doesn't know what time it is. If you disconnect the main plug he will reset the clock to the launch year. Whan you want more games connect again to the network, create a new online user and use the special 1 month free offer for gamepass.

17. carizard

carizard GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    yes, there is work being done

18. SummonerArthur

Newcomer

Brazil
    It will happen someday IMHO, as it always happens.
    but idk, hackers arent interested in it right now.

Even I, if I could, would try to hack those newer xbox360 instead (those with the corona processor thingy).
    Its not worth it, but XBone isnt neitghter LOL

19. gbadl

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Does it really still work? I thought they patched it to check if the time changed after unplugging the console. Wonder if something like that will work on XSX / XSS.

20. contezero

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    I used this method a couple of months ago. Have no idea if it was patched recently or not. I managed to play a couple of gamepass games months after my subscription expired but I wouldn't be surprised if there is somewhere a log to stop you from playing disconnected after a number of hours (enough at least to play 3 games from start to finish). If you unplug the console from main power the time will change automatically.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - hacking, working, anyone