Gaming Is 3DS (game based) actually dead? Checked Release List

ehnoah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So,

I was think about buy myself a 2DS XL however, if I check the Game Release list, it looks mostly dead to me. Only 3 Games are planed to be released. No new "cool" Title are announced. Did they stopped game Production for 3DS and move to switch? I through they want run both.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They haven't stopped production for it and there aren't any BIG releases planned for it anytime soon, but there are more games coming, even if most will be Japan-only. It's dying, just not dead yet. I would say it has a year or so until it's abandoned more or less and production should after summer judging from how Ninty is treating it...

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Radiant historia, shin megami tensei, kirby battle royale, dragon quest xi, alliance alive...
Half of those have already come out long ago though in Japan...:P Already finished DQ9 and 10 for example!

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Wait until January lol. They aren't going to announce a bunch of games during christmas season when they're trying to sell what they have on the shelf already.

If Nintendo gives a direct for the Switch in January, but skips the 3ds, then worry.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi and ThoD

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Probably not, since Nintendo seems to be ramping up the limited editions for the N3DS XL hardware. They could just be doing this to move units (just make different coloured system shells), but I doubt it.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There ARE still games planned to come out, so let's leave it at that. DQ 11, Radiant Historia, that new Kirby battle royal game, etc.... Sure, they have already been released in Japan, but no one here has played them and the released will go until late Q2 2018!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is likely that Pokémon USUM was the last big release for the 3DS. Like with many game devices before it, Nintendo is probably still producing 3DS systems in an effort a.) To sell as many systems as possible while it's still sellable, and b.) To get rid of 3DS parts they already had. Devices like the Wii, DSi, and GBA all got new editions at the ends of their lives, too.

If you don't already have a 3DS though, that doesn't mean it isn't worth purchasing.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The switch is missing things like the virtual console at this point it only can play games. so once you are done with the games you have theres not much you can do with it since its not hackable on a firmware all the new games are playable on.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh, I feel like it's going to be a silent over time death for the 3ds, and this is the first step, it's time for Nintendo to stop it and either migrate to the switch only or release a true successor to the 3ds family, I say true successor cause I don't mean this new 3ds/new 2ds crap either

Reactions: Spectral Blizzard

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds has a huge library of great games. even if they stopped making games today the console is far from "dead"
I'm still working on my dsi xl backlog and still have a ton of 3ds backlog. so threads like these make no sense to me.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The 3ds has a huge library of great games. even if they stopped making games today the console is far from "dead"
I'm still working on my dsi xl backlog and still have a ton of 3ds backlog. so threads like these make no sense to me.
True, what really decides whether a console is dead or not nowadays is actually the online servers, when those are shut down, then it will be officially dead and we got a LONG time until that happens!

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Gameboy Handheld: 3 Hardware Revisions. Sold +118,000,000 units. 10 years in the market.
Gameboy Advance: 3 Hardware Revisions. Sold +80,000,000 units. 5 years in the market.
Nintendo DS: 4 Hardware Revisions. Sold 150,000,000 units. 6 years in the market
Nintendo 3DS: 6 Hardware Revisions. Sold 17,000,000 units. 7 years in the market.
Looks like you're waiting for the 7th 3DS hardware revision too, m'I'right?

What I'm saying is... with those sales, and the desperate need of Nintendo to constantly make Hardware revisions each year... do not expect cool titles for the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse