IPv6 & IPv4 address question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Prime, Dec 19, 2008.

Dec 19, 2008

IPv6 & IPv4 address question by Prime at 8:03 PM (865 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Prime
    OP

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Ok so recently my internet has went a little wonky. Sometimes the light for ADSL and Internet on my router turns off and I have no access to the internet but it comes back on after about 5 seconds. I looked around the Network and Sharing thing on vista and found this:

[​IMG]

(I removed the speed showing due to incoming laughs at it)

Notice it says Limited at IPv6 part...I'm guessing it shouldn't So i click on Properties and then select IPv6 and click Properties again...I have this:

[​IMG]

Should i enter numbers in there? and will I'm at it should I enter numbers for IPv4?

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this will solve my problem It's just something I came across which I think needs attention.

2. Votkrath

Member Votkrath GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    No, don't care about IPv6, it's the future, they will be using that when there are no IP adresses left.

3. Prime
    OP

United Kingdom
    er...ok what about IPv4?

4. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    What he said, its only for the future when the limited pool of IP's available in V4 are exceeded, I think its only got about 3 billion or something! You dont want to manually assign an IP unless you know exactly what you should put in it as the IP, that kind of thing is only meant for large scale private networks (like an office). Try going to command line and typing "ipconfig/ renew" without the " to automatically get a new IP assigned.

edit: just to clarify IP V4 is what everyone is using at the moment, a few large scale networks use V6 but I dont think its available for home use, disabling V6 shouldnt really make a difference to you, just dont disable V4

5. weiff

Member weiff GBAtemp Regular

Typically unless told otherwise you leave that with DHCP enabled. Unless you are getting a conflict on home network, which can cause service drops. Most routers work on DHCP as well, so if you did not set or were not told to set static IPs, leave it alone. You may just need to reboot the whole system. Shut it down overnight(or day), and then boot everything back up.

6. Votkrath

Member Votkrath GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    You write everything in there on IPv4 if your ISP provided you with an IP, DNS etc. otherwise you have a Dynamic IP address will get you the dns servers etc. automatically.

But if it have worked before without that, then you shouldn't touch it. Then it's just random internet issues probably. You could try to reset and renew your IP and if thay doesn't work try to plug out your router's power cord as well as the modem's power cord and also the connection between the modem and the router, don't do it if you have a combined ADSL modem+router. And then wait for 30 secs and plug in and wait for a while and see if it works again, and if that doesn't work, try with reset your router to factory settings by pressing in the small button in the tiny hole on the router with a pen or something and hold it in for 20-30 seconds and re-configurate your router but then you also need to remember to set a password for the router as well so no one else don't use your internet.

7. Prime
    OP

United Kingdom
    I think ipconfig /renew solved it...I haven't had any drop outs yet (knock on wood)