ShadowFyre

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So at my friend's receiving of a new iPhone, he's willing to give me his old iPod Touch. Problem is, it was apparently damaged from a water bottle leaking on to it. When I asked him about it, he simply said he was "sure it was probably fried". I didn't receive the iPod yet, but what type of repair am I looking at?

Edit: Wrong section, sorry.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
You might want to determine when the water hit it, and what measures he took to dry it out. Whether or not he tried to turn it back on right after doing it will likely be the biggest factor in whether or not it works.

Odds are, it'll probably work fine though. It takes more than a little water from a water bottle to kill something like that these days.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, first get it and see. It might be worth your time to open it up for a couple of days to make sure it is totally dry, then try charging it and turning it on. Depending on what exactly was potentially fried (which you'd have to determine based on whether it charges, turns on, if anything doesn't work right, etc.) will determine what you may need to fix. Like I said, odds are in your favor that it's okay, even if he tried to turn it back on right away to use it.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your friend tried turning it on, he likely tried to "shake" the water out too... I would drop it in a box of rice crispies (not rice, but, rice crispies) for a couple days and then give it a shot.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Once you get it I would personally if I was you open it up and check for corrosion or anything else that may look out of place before plugging it into a wall socket or computer, better safe then sorry and you don't want to cause more harm to yourself, your stuff or the iPod then you have too.

Though, if your lucky it dried out but the battery is too low to make it even respond and you can just charge it up but sometimes it will take up to half hour for the unit to even look like its charging based on my experience with an iPhone 4 a friend gave me, he said he dropped it and put it away and got another phone... Battery was 100% flat and the back glass was shattered but the rest of the phone is fine and has been my main phone for about 2 months now lol.

ShadowFyre

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but it seemed pointless to make a new one.

I got my friend's ipod my a few weeks ago, and everything worked perfectly, no flaws whatsoever. However, recently the backlight of the ipod turns off upon using it. The backlight flashes on when I turn it on, but turns off immediately afterward. I did some research on this, and I'm not sure if its a water damage issue (otherwise I would have encountered this problem a long time ago). I also don't know whether or not its an LCD problem or a motherboard chip problem, because the backlight does turn on, it just doesn't stay on.

ShadowFyre

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Doesn't help me, irrelevant.
2. Wasn't funny or clever. At all.

Also, so this post is actually relevant and doesn't get removed if trashed, my ipod randomly sustains the backlight for a good few seconds before dimming again, so could this be a software problem?

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. Doesn't help me, irrelevant.
2. Wasn't funny or clever. At all.

Also, so this post is actually relevant and doesn't get removed if trashed, my ipod randomly sustains the backlight for a good few seconds before dimming again, so could this be a software problem?

Try restoring the device first and see if it clears up

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Any way to restore it but keep my jailbreak/app data? I'm sort of new to apple products.

know what OS its on now? What model it is?

You should just need to use the RedSn0w tool and save your SHSH and Blobs then you should be able to restore with RedSn0w using the backed up files and a downloaded version of iOS maintaining your jailbreak and iOS version

Then again if its an older touch you may be restricted to an older iOS and if thats the case you should be just able to jailbreak it again

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
pop it open and check the connections would be my next port of call, When a friend gave me a 3GS with antenna issues that's all it turned out to be wrong with it

Check youtube for dis assembly video's first though ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol