iPod Touch games on DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by EliteKill, Mar 25, 2009.

1. EliteKill
    OP

EliteKill GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Is it possible to port "low-graphic" iod Touch games to the DS? I'm talking about one game specifically, called The Creeps.

2. DeadLocked

DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

Aug 18, 2008
    Britland
    ipod touch screen can register two touches at any one time, ds can only register one, I don't know about the specs details but with that issue the game must only need one touch at once, so not tap tap or anything like that.

3. EliteKill
    OP

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    The Creeps does use only one touch input at a time, so it is possible?

4. Smartpal

Smartpal The Guitar Guy

Feb 10, 2009
    India
    New Delhi, India
    This is the most far fetched idea I have ever heard.

5. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Jun 21, 2008
    Swaziland
    Helvetica
    Well, sorry, but that's wrong...If you play Hotel Dusk, there's a Scene in witch you have to switch two Switches on, simultaneously. It works without problems...also someone from Nintendo confirmed that two points will work...he said something like:
    "Two points work without problems...if there would be more than two points (three, four, etc...) pressed, it will calculate the center of them."

So, maybe, it would be possible, I think...

6. EliteKill
    OP

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Hey Blue-K! Didn't know you were here! Anyways, so I think this is possible.... Now the actual porting is the problem...

7. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Any time you hit more than one spot at once, it registers a touch at the midpoint of the two touches. My guess is that Hotel Dusk just checks for a touch in the center of the screen, rather than two touches on the two switches.

In homebrew apps where you have pressure-sensing abilities, you can somewhat fake the detection of multiple touches, but it will never be as good as a touchscreen that actually supports multitouch.

Nevertheless, a port requires sourcecode, a coder, time, and effort. Without those 4 things, you won't see the port anytime soon.

8. strata8

strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Jun 18, 2007
    over there
    Porting a game between two platforms is incredibly difficult, especially for two handhelds such as the Nintendo DS and iPod Touch. Not only do they use different APIs, but the entire structure is entirely different, as the iPod Touch uses OpenGL, whilst the DS uses it's own methods.

9. TECstarINC

TECstarINC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2008
    United States
    NOT .. i repeat ... NOT true

ipod and ds are both dual touch touchscreens
    wich should make it possible, but i dont know if the software is even near convertable

10. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Go away, you don't know anything.

11. DanTheManMS

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    TECstarINC, go into Pictochat. Press two different spots with your fingers at the same time. See what happens.

12. Advi

Advi GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
  13. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    It's still not dual touch. That does manage to detect fairly reliably when the screen is being touched in two places, but it can't tell you where it's being touched, just that it is being touched in two places.

14. Briankealing

Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 25, 2008
    United States
    Pressing in two different places can lead to some interesting artwork, like in colors!.

15. DanTheManMS

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    I know that there was some library made based off that demo that is probably a bit more robust, can't remember the name though.

16. a2h

a2h GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2007
    Alternatively, "can you run applications written for Cocoa for the DS?"

17. x-mah-D

x-mah-D Banned

Banned
    Feb 19, 2009
    mLib was the multi-touch library i belive.
    It would be really hard, if anyone wants it i could ssh into my ipod and get the graphics (i never seen this game before)
    Its hard to do that's for sure, but if you can get a good programer then its possible but it would take months if you ask me
    + they could sue if they so desire

18. xxRAG3

xxRAG3 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 6, 2009
    United States
    also, the ipod touch has better graphics, i wish nintendo would work on those [​IMG]

19. player1244

player1244 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2008
    Netherlands
    I wanted that was not true [​IMG]
    But this are the nice games that i have on my flashcart:

Trackmania DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, and... currently i don't have more 3D DS games... but this games are already nice games.
    But i hope DSi has better graphics [​IMG]
    I don't have an iPod Touch, because it's too expensive. So i don't know how the graphics are. The games of the DS are nice, but i don't know how nice iPod Touch'es games are.

20. a2h

a2h GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2007
    It doesn't. Proven ages ago. On this website.