Ipod Touch: 2nd or 3rd Gen?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tozarian, May 27, 2010.

May 27, 2010

Ipod Touch: 2nd or 3rd Gen? by Tozarian at 1:55 AM (1,338 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Tozarian
    OP

Member Tozarian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So I received a second gen ipod touch as a gift (8gb), and I'm considering returning it and getting a third gen(32gb). Could any 3rd gen owners tell me what they think? Are the benefits worth an extra $100?

I also need to know if 3rd generation ipod touches can be jailbroken, I don't want to have to go without my emulators and multitasking.
    Furthermore, my friend tells me that a new ipod touch will be released alongside the next iphone. Does anyone know if this is true? Is it worth returning it for the money and waiting?

Any feedback is much appreciated,

Tozarian.

2. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States
    All Ipod touches, Iphones, and Ipads can be jailbroken.
    I heard a rumour that a new Ipod touch was coming out in September I think.

3. ore0

Member ore0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would return it not just because of all the extra space and newer ipod, but because the OS 4.0 multitasking and other features are only going to work on the 3rd Gen.

Source

Otherwise I would just wait for the newer version to come out if you can wait. But it might be a couple months, I really don't know...

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  5. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    It depends on the cost. If you pay $20 more for a 3rd gen, get that. Otherwise don't pay that much more for 3rd gen. I'd wait myself for the 4th gen iPod.

6. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If I were you, I would hold off until the fourth generation (likely in September). The fourth generation will definitely be faster, have more storage, and will likely have a camera. Unfortunately, (untethered) jailbreaks probably won't surface for a while on it.

Even if you don't want the fourth generation, as the date gets closer to September, stores might sell the iPod touch 3G for cheaper to clear out inventory for the newer units.

7. imshortandrad

Member imshortandrad GBAtemp Regular

United States

I second that. [​IMG]

8. ore0

Member ore0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I actually heard from a lot of places that 4.0 has already been jailbroken by developers [​IMG]

9. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It's not a matter of the software.

The hardware will likely have additional measures in place to prevent it.

10. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I say wait for the 4th gen.
    But even all the features on the 3g haven't been unlocked yet, even with the 4.0OS.

11. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    trade in the 2g for now, apples products quickly lose value as their newer products get released.

12. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    That's the opposite of what's true.

Apple products are well-known for holding their resale value incredibly well.

13. Tozarian
    OP

Member Tozarian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Thanks for your help guys, I decided to hold off until the next gen and keep the one I have now.

14. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    its not like apple didn't slash 2g prices leading up to the 3g release or anything. 300US -> 220 for a 16gb model, you can pick them up easily, used from amazon for 180, nearly half price. 1st gen being in a worse situation, considering the 16gb model launched at 500, you can pick them up for 150~ and less now.

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Yeah, a single three year old product in a hugely volatile industry makes a great representation of resale value for an entire brand which has very diverse product offerings, and even there it's still holding better resale value than competing products released in the same time period (see: HTC Kaiser which now sells for an average 100USD).

Just take a look at their computer line. By far they hold the best resale value of any company in the industry.