iPlayer hands-on impressions

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jun 16, 2009.

1. wolfmanz51

wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    Somewhere in cali
    no Moonshell DOESN'T have better video playback But, Moonshell2 Does especially if encoded right with NEW converter included in the stable release My videos have no artifacts no skips no glitches and I can skip to any part of a movie without any hiccups(the Iplayer can't keep the voices synced "at least not from what shaun showed!" . The sound is plenty loud even without headphones or artificial volume boost. plus the size is usually reduced by over half after conversion( which is much faster with the new version) and Moonshell2 has per Video auto bookmarks all done in the background. Lets not forget that Moonshell2 has amazing Audio functions like displaying album covers while playing Music along with ID3tags. Any way I could go on and on About the Advantages of Moonshell 2 V.S. i Player, But you are right I don't know all the functions. After all this is apparently just a beta version of the final software they want our Criticism here it is. Honestly I'm waiting for the Announcement that the Hardware and software is open source so Homebrew can Make use of it because from what I've heard and seen this cart is for people who don't like to convert videos and unless I see otherwise I'll Stick with my AceKard2i and moonshell2.

2. RomanHelmet

RomanHelmet Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Ohio, US
    Looks pretty cool. I'm most excited for the possibility of running enhanced homebrew with the extra horsepower this thing has. I'm gonna wait until the final review to make my judgement, but I think I'll just stick with my sakura video player. It's so nicely integrated with the GUI, and also has resume functionality which is great. However I still haven't tried the new moonshell yet, maybe that's better than the sakura player. Also, most of the videos I download are anime in h/x264, and also have soft subs, so I'd likely have to re-encode everything anyway.

3. Necromanson

Necromanson Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2008
    United States
    New York City
    That was a well written review which is a pleasant surprise on a site like this (no offense). Nice job, even for a temporary review.

That being said, this looks interesting. Like everyone else I'm curious to see the price tag, if it's cheap I'd consider going for it. The notion of having an on-board CPU makes me curious to see if they are able to utilize this technology to effectively load GBA roms from a slot-1 cart. I guess we'll wait and see. If anyone ever pulls that off I'll be sold for sure.

4. DarkMega NT Warr

DarkMega NT Warr Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2007
    Canada
    Wow, it's running better than I expected. Will probably get one just for DS showing off purposes...

On a side note.... Yay, Urusei Yatsura! Anyone know what that other anime is though?

5. si_ok

si_ok Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2006
    New Zealand
    Christchurch, New Zealand

You can always run moonshell off this card.... it DOES do homebrew...

6. Maikel Steneker

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    That's really impressive! I'll be looking forward to this!

7. Evan123456789

Evan123456789 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2009
    United States
    ACT Australia
    i think from the beginning movie playback on DS has been a problem and the main problem was memory if you have a 4gb micro SD it's useless for movies the only ones that would be worth while are the 16 gb and 8 gb but no one owns them because that adds an extra 50 - 100$ AUS I think for this team to have conquered that problem there should have been some onboard memory and micro SD (this is possible we've all seen it with the ACEKARD RPG) or maybe there could have been two micro SD slots for more memory
    I will not be buying this

8. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    i think jdbye was trolling you....
    n64 and psx emulation are still not that great on the wii

9. nicky041192

nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 9, 2008
    UK
    wow. looks brilliant. cant wait for the full review.

10. funem

funem Retro Powered..

Nov 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    out of nowhere....
    That looks seriously impressive, especially the way it skips forward and backwards with ease ( unlike moonshell ). Unless they can get this to the shops rather than on-line sales I still think, unfortunately, this will remain a niche product, which is a shame as I think this would do well in retail outlets.

One question, sorry if its been asked I haven't had time to read the whole thread, being a modern card I take it that it supports SDHC cards.

11. paul3100

paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 15, 2007
    scotland
    Iv read all 4 pages and no one has said if it sdhc or not but i would imagine it would be! stupid really to make such a card without it when you think the avarage avi is 700mbs and larger these days...

I for one would like to get this card but not really for the media part but for enhanced homebrew including better emulators :-)

paul

12. Nerdii

Nerdii Banned

Banned
    May 2, 2009
    The Place? Perth... Warn: BIG.
    We need a rom loader straight away!

13. shaunj66
    OP

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    Yes it supports SDHC cards. Sorry I should have mentioned it, but it's such a standard now that I forgot.

14. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Aug 2, 2008
    You'd have this for like 2 weeks, and then you'd ask yourself why on earth you got it.

Still nice to see all the effort put into in

15. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    nice review... i wish there would have been amr player cuz it is very small in size

16. layzieyez

layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    I can't wait until it is reverse engineered by a competitor and released at a vastly discounted price. Competition is good (just look at flashcart prices).

17. shaunj66
    OP

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    The price hasn't even been announced yet. [​IMG]

18. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    where the hell do you shop?
    i'm an aussie and my 8gb class 6 uSD was like 20-30 bucks

19. Toni Plutonij

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    Depths of Nuclear powerplant
    I was about to say that, most of our members have 8GB microSD carts, and I know that fair number of them use 16GB as well!

20. Nerdii

Nerdii Banned

Banned
    May 2, 2009
    The Place? Perth... Warn: BIG.
    I have an 8GB!

This card is shaping up to be probably the best so far! (Except for not being able to play r0mz!)

EDIT: Watched the vid! AWESOME!!! Changing the Aspect Ratio to the original is awesome! No squished vids!

MY Good and Bad FEATURE LIST:

GOOD [​IMG] :
    • Plays a lot of video formats!
    • Plays a lot of music formats!
    • Change the Aspect Ratio of videos!
    • Looks like it has a good build quality!
    • Plays homebrew!
    BAD [​IMG] :
    • Can't play r0mz.
    • Can't run HQ video.
    • Probably won't be cheap. ('New technology' LOL)