Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gullwing said:
It's here... At last multi-tasking support for ipod, Iphone and Ipad
http://live.gizmodo.com/

?

Didn't the Iphone already have multi-tasking capabilities?

I keep on remembering the Iphone commercial where someone is playing Pong, while talking to someone, while making hotel reservations, while get a reservation for a restaurant.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sora1234 said:
Gullwing said:
It's here... At last multi-tasking support for ipod, Iphone and Ipad
http://live.gizmodo.com/

?

Didn't the Iphone already have multi-tasking capabilities?

I keep on remembering the Iphone commercial where someone is playing Pong, while talking to someone, while making hotel reservations, while get a reservation for a restaurant.
Sort of. But you have to go back to the home screen to start something up, and many programs won't run in the background without some kind of third party tool (backgrounder).

I can't say I really care about this though... I'd rather have my iPod touch working in Linux.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
luke_c said:
Just to let you know the multi-tasking is only for iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3GS, previous devices won't get it.
Does that include the 3rd gen iPod touch that's 8gb?
Because the 8gb model is practically a rebranded 2nd gen model.

Sjaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
RupeeClock said:
luke_c said:
Just to let you know the multi-tasking is only for iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3GS, previous devices won't get it.

There is no 3rd gen 8gb iPod Touch. All 8gb models are 2nd gen. No multitasking for you! (Neither for me, as I have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen).

Really Apple, what a fail.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
luke_c said:

Does it use 3G software? If so, then yes.

“There was no decision to make as far as multitasking. Some of the earlier hardware can’t support multitasking at all.” – Jobs
BS

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sjaz said:
There is no 3rd gen 8gb iPod Touch. All 8gb models are 2nd gen. No multitasking for you! (Neither for me, as I have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen).

Actually, I have a 3rd gen 32gb, lol.

Sjaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
RupeeClock said:
Sjaz said:

Actually, I have a 3rd gen 32gb, lol.

Lolz didn't know that. Anyways, I know people with iPod Touch 1st gen with jailbreak can multitask! Why can't Apple make it, so I can multitask without a jailbreak. Really, reasons stack up to jailbreak my iPod Touch....

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only thing from 4.0 that looks cool for me is app folders. I have an iPhone 3g, so no multitasking.. ever probably. this might finally push me to jailbreaking...

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
32GB MC 2g.
Doubt I'm doing to update if I don't get anything new
dry.gif

D

Deleted User

I've got a 3GS but I really don't care about multi-tasking. The apps start up fast enough and almost all remember what you were doing before you quit.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
As much as I hate how I won't get multitasking, us iPod touch 2G and iPhone 3G owners should be grateful for actually getting the update.

Why the hell would I say that? Well, it turns out iPod touch 1G and iPhone 2G owners will not receive this update. I completely disagree with this approach, seeing as how the iPhone 2G and iPod touch 1G share guts similar to the iPhone 3G. From a business standpoint, it makes sense though; as they say, out with the old, in with the new.

Also... The iPad's 4.0 update will arrive in the fall, which is when we will be talking about iPhone OS 4.1.
tongue.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They decided to cut multi tasking from the 2G iPod and 3G iPhone though, and the 1G iPod and 2G iPhone won't even get the update. Seriously Apple? You finally listen to people's good suggestions, and you fuck it up.

Oh well, that's what backgrounder is for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Wut.