iPad?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Kwartel, Jan 28, 2010.

?
  1. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dunno

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. .Chris

.Chris Clueless

Feb 20, 2009
    United States
    United States
    ur right

2. mrfatso

mrfatso That guy!!

Apr 17, 2008
    Senegal
    @Your Home,behind the sofa
    if that's the case, think of it as a portable bullet vest, only problem, it only covers one side and it is still too expensive.

3. xxRAG3

xxRAG3 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 6, 2009
    United States
    The iPad is meant to be a very luxurious paperweight

4. Giga_Gaia

Giga_Gaia GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2006
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    And for 899$, I could have a really decent laptop, but why spend 900$ on a laptop, when I could save about 3 times that money and get an alienware laptop.

5. Man18

Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    HAH you dont know jack shit about the Ipad leave the topic and let everyone what you voted for so they can remove it from the ballot

[​IMG]

Go back to school or at least as your mommy to hire you a tutor.

6. zeromac

zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Mar 7, 2009
    Earth
    If it runs the exact same firmware and looks exactly the same with a size difference than its just a bigger version!

Offtopic: Do you guys know about the iphone mini? i saw a girl at school today with one [​IMG]

7. Gore

Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 15, 2007
    United States
    iPhone mini is a fake. It isn't made by Apple.

8. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    [​IMG] Well I just googled iPhone mini and apparently it is a Chinese clone? [​IMG]

9. Cermage

Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 2, 2007
    no multi-tasking makes me a sad boy. no flash support is a given. this is apple we are talking about.

i can see it turning out alright, i like typing on the ipod touch/iphone and my main problem with it is that the screen its too small. Being able to play 720 h264 is nice, something i've found the intel atom's struggling to play on some netbooks.

hopefully its community turns out something like the iphone/ipod touch jail breaking community. some of the things you could do with that could end up being extremely nice.

10. Man18

Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    i think he means the touch

11. Blue Zoidberg

Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    USA, that big island near Cuba
    Not only a fulling functioning laptop, but a sexy fully functioning laptop. [​IMG]

12. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    I don't know what to think about it until I've actually tried one ...

13. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Hurr Durr. You're stupid. The iPad defined by Apple is a tablet PC, isn't it? All of us refer to it as a big iPod Touch. What does you "digging creative mp3 players" have to do with the iPad.

I doubt anyone cares about your music player preference in a conversation about the iPad. I find it hilarious that you're telling me that I need a tutor or to go back to school when you fail to provide a proper argument.

14. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
  15. Uncle FEFL

Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

Sep 7, 2009
    United States
    PM me for Social Security information
    As we can all tell by the votes, the iPad was not at all revolutionary. Nor was it a good idea. "OMG, GIANT iPod Touch for only FOUR-HUNDRED BUCKS?!! I IZ GETTING THAT!!!!!1!"

Gimme a break, Apple.

16. mthrnite

mthrnite So it goes.

Former Staff
    Jun 30, 2006
    United States
    th' south
    Enough with the HURR DURR YOU STOOPIT bullshit ok?

Anyway, I'm considering an iPad since I get so much out of my iPhone in the life-organizing area.

It'd be great having a bigger screen, being able to prop it up to see my recipes while cooking, actually being able to read a book on it without eye-strain, working in OmniFocus and other of my important apps at the kitchen table, that sort of thing. Being able to watch my tv shows on it while i wash dishes will be a plus too. So yeah, I'll basically be treating it as a really big and much snappier iPod Touch, but that's fine if you want that.. in fact I think it'll be damn handy. Yeah I wish it cost less, but I wish everything cost less. Bottom line, it'll fill a niche for me. I won't know for sure until I'm able to mess around with it for a while at an Apple store, but so far, it's looking pretty probable that I'll get one.

17. Blue Zoidberg

Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    USA, that big island near Cuba
    You're going to stare at an LCD screen for hours at at time and not get eye strain? I want whatever drugs you're on!

18. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Gallifrey
    LCD screens rarely cause eye strain, at least for me...it's usually CRT displays that cause the problems.

19. mthrnite

mthrnite So it goes.

Former Staff
    Jun 30, 2006
    United States
    th' south
    I'm referring to the size. There is a big difference between the size of an iPhone's screen and the iPad's screen. It would be really nice to be able to read a book for hours, like you mention, but I don't have that kind of time. What time I would have to read, staring at an lcd screen would not be so bad. It's wide enough that it would have the flow of a book, while big enough to not have to strain my eyes looking at a small font.

..and you most certainly do not want the drugs I'm on.

20. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    My two cents...

Unless Apple learns from the short-comings of the iPod Touch I don't think it has a chance of selling to Apple fans and/or rich kids that won't care about the expense and will just put it in a closet after a day.

Single tasking on iPods is a pain in the ass and even with the very unofficial backgrounding program that allows you to keep more Apps open (than those that Apple thinks you should be allowed to) it is very far behind on usability even compared to something like a Pocket PC 2002.

It may do ok with avid readers who want a backlit color display considering the price isn't all that crazy compared to the ebook readers currently available for not much less that are e-ink and have nothing else to offer but I doubt there will be many sales from this alone.

If Apple would open up the system to devs and users then it would definitely do good but with how anal they are at controlling everything I doubt that would happen.

Also from what the announcement eluded to it will take input from fingers so unless they change how the touch abilities work from the Pod then using it as a sketchpad/drawing tablet won't work because it ignores input of styluses, etc.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted