IOS61 in vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Teffy, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Teffy
    OP

Teffy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    So, I have a copy of the Mother 3 Wii channel. The only problem is it requires IOS61 to work. Virtual Wii does not have IOS61. Is there a way to install IOS61 to the vWii system? If not, is there a way to change what IOS a WAD uses to load?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There's a VC release of Mother 3? Or are you talking about something else?
    I thought IOS61 was only used by the shop channel. Are you sure it requires IOS61?

3. Teffy
    OP

Teffy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    It's not an official release, it's basically a custom-made channel running a GBA emulator and the fan-translated ROM. And yes, it definitely uses IOS61 considering that's what YAWMM says it uses (and gives an error saying IOS61 is a stub), and forcing it to install using WiiMod causes a reset on launching the channel, indicating an IOS loading failure.

4. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Well, you should be able to load it with a backup launcher which would force it to load with IOS249 or something like that and I'm sure you could even change the setting of the backup launcher for that channel to make it run with something else a little more normal like IOS33 or something.

(There's also a way to edit a WAD and change which IOS it's set to use by default ... I just don't know how that's done off the top of my head.)

5. Teffy
    OP

Teffy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    If you find out how to do that it would be much appreciated, I'm not sure why the group that made it decided IOS61 was the one they'd use... then I can fix Mother 3 and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (both were made by the same group with specially modified emulators)

6. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    This method is a bit silly. Do they really require specially modified emulators? Why won't normal Wii emulators work?

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Can't you just play it on an emulator? It's basically the same thing, and it won't have that silly requirement.
    There probably is no way to get IOS61 on vWii since the only official software that uses it is the old Shop Channel and it's probably stubbed on every vWii. Since regular Wii IOSes don't work, there's not much hope of finding a way to get IOS61 on vWii.

8. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    - get "vba gx", it is a game boy advance emulator for wii and vwii, it works, I use it myself
    - get a rom of Mother 3 (no support here, how to get it, sry)
    - go here: http://mother3.fobby.net/ and download the fan translation patch and use the included patcher on the rom
    - go here to download a channel forwarder for the vba gx emulator: http://gbatemp.net/threads/forwarders-are-back.340226/ just install the .wad with any wad manager (YAWMM for example)

tadaaa, you can play Mother 3 in english

9. Felipe_9595

Felipe_9595 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2010
    Cote d'Ivoire
    USe Retroarch or VBA GX, profit

10. Teffy
    OP

Teffy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the tips, but the reason for the specialized emulators is due to both games using combo systems that rely on rhythm and timing that VBA GX cannot do thanks to frame drops and slowdown, unless the emulator has been updated for both games in the past year.