Internet shaping

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by eltrut, Aug 31, 2010.

Aug 31, 2010

Internet shaping by eltrut at 5:13 AM (698 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. eltrut
    OP

Member eltrut GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Does anyone else have to use shaped internet? This is the first time in a loooooooooong time I've had to use it and, well, it's just not that much worse (I'm normally on a 1.5Mbs connection).

Do other countries even know what internet shaping is/have it? (When you go over you plan limit instead of buying more temporary quota or having no internet it slows you down to what i thought was meant to be dial-up speeds)

2. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    didn't know what that was til you explained it, I've got a huuuge data cap, i've never actually went over it

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    My speed is capped to around 56k speed if I go over a certain amount during a 30 day rolling.

I never really considered it internet shaping. Always thought that term was more related to traffic shaping where certain protocols get high priority on the isp network, while others like torrent traffic get low priority.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    I have it. And the problem with it is that I can never know how much of my bandwidth I've already used up. Which really sucks, because I nearly always pass the cap and get put back to dial-up speed.

Well, it's not like the regular speed is that much faster, but still.

5. lolet

Newcomer lolet Member

Sweden
    I don't think I've ever had a limit. Usually have 10/10mbit. Right now I have 100/10mbit but I only get out 40/5mbit out of that on this computer. Don't really need that much.