Internal Hard Drives

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by shlong, Aug 21, 2010.

Aug 21, 2010

Internal Hard Drives by shlong at 3:27 PM (922 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. shlong
    OP

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    We have 2 Toshiba laptops, one that is seriously slow, and another one. This other one had its charger-thing broke, so we got one of those multi headed ones(inter-changeable heads). Unfortunately, the only one that fitted the laptop...broke...
    Mum doesn't want to get a new charger, so dad's bring one of his old work laptops back...[sarcasm]yay[/sarcasm]...
    However, there is some important stuff on the broken-plugged one, which we want to get off, but can't
    I want to put the internal hard drive of the broken-plugged one in the shitty one.
    I've searched Google, but nothing really helpful. Wondering if anyone knows if I can just...switch them?
    We did have this thing where you basically turn the internal hard--drive into an external one...but dad lost it [​IMG]

Help appreciated muchly! Cookies for help!

2. OneUp

Member OneUp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Depending on if the two hard drives are the same type (IDE or SATA) you can move one drive to the other computer. However, whatever operating system you had on the hdd likely won't boot properly/at all. I know XP won't boot but I haven't tried Vista/7 with any hdd swapping.

3. shlong
    OP

Italy
    So, if one has XP, the other Vista...it might not work?

4. OneUp

Member OneUp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If the hard drive you wanna get stuff off of is XP it won't boot due to different hardware configuration.

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You could always grab a linux live cd and boot into linux if the hdd won't boot into Windows. That way you'd still be able to access the files on the drive.

Alternatively you could try booting into safe mode of Windows and remove drivers such as motherboard, graphic drivers etc. Usually it's drivers that prevent Windows from booting when the hardware drastically changes.

6. shlong
    OP

Italy
    Thanks guys! Going to give it a go...
    Promised cookies:
    [​IMG]

7. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    You will want an enclosure kit. That is what turns it into an external haddrive

8. shlong
    OP

Italy
    yeah we had that [​IMG]

9. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    Operating systems these days (with maybe an exception to *nix) check for hardware changes on boot up. If there's more than 7 or something then they no they're on a different computer and the boot up does not continue.

10. harg

Member harg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    WAIT! The easiest way is to buy a charger! Would you rather have a broken PC and buy a new one or just buy a new charger?(Or you can buy a PC to PC cable)