Intermittent power issue with old model 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by grafate, Mar 16, 2017.

1. grafate
    OP

grafate GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    So backstory on this was it was working well for 3 years. Then last Thanksgiving weekend it didn't turn on. So I bought a new one for my son and left this older XL in the closet till last month I found it. I was about to trash it but decided to press the power button and it turned on. However later that night it would not turn on again.

After 5 or 6 weeks I found out by accident that when it sits and nobody touches it, it will turn back on after sitting for around 5 to 6 days. And it will continue to turn on if back to back power off then back on. but once it sits for more than say 2 to 3 hours after turning off it won't turn back on and you have ot wait 5 to 6 days again.

What I tested so far was using a new battery so I can eliminate that. Any ideas what else it could be?

2. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 GBATemp's Official Skiddo™ | Founder of Skiddoism

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Try taking the whole 3DS apart and look at the motherboard. I'm no good with 3DS hardware, but if you show a picture I might be able to point out obvious differences.

3. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    I would call the Mystery Machine on this one! Sounds spooky :-)
    I think you have a fuse problem, or even the battery