Interesting things about Metroid

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Metoroid0, Apr 1, 2013.

Apr 1, 2013
  1. Metoroid0
    OP

Member Metoroid0 Any objections Adam?

Japan
    Just sharing what i wind out, and it was fun for me so i guess it will be 2U2 :lol:

Enjoy :grog:

Watch in HD

Ninn and Engert like this.

2. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Woah, cool. Had no idea that DYKG made a Metroid video.

3. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    That was pretty interesting. I'm not gonna go binge other videos by them. Haha :P

4. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Little known fact: The protagonist, Metroid, is a girl.

Who knew?

The Real Jdbye, B-Blue and xwatchmanx like this.
  5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Metroid0 is a great example of nominative determinism.

6. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you like this series, you should give props to the original researchers over at The Cutting Room Floor. The guy who runs DYKG has been culling information directly from the wiki, down to the very same letter, and profiting off the work of others via his ads on his website (which is why he's always pushing to visit his webpage, like his videos, etc.). I frequent and submit work to TCRF often enough that I can recognize direct copy-pastes pretty easily, and its disheartening to see how little of the submissions really are original and not taken from outside sources. I've asked him about it, but he proceeded to harangue me, saying both that nothing is wrong with taking something already soundly-worded (plagiarizing) and contradictorily that he finds all the information by his own datamining.

He can't even be bothered to make good aliases when submitting the info--half the time he just makes up some loosely-related name to the game, such as the recent Bomberman info-image ('Submitted by "Fileman"').

geoflcl likes this.
  7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    wait her name is Metroid?

Metoroid0 likes this.
  8. LoloLakitu

Member LoloLakitu Shwowow Schogog

Canada
    [​IMG]

xwatchmanx likes this.
  9. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Sometimes I foget that my sarcasm is so advanced, people think im an idiot.

Gahars likes this.
  10. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Yeah, that's why.

11. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    A bit of trivia for you all:
    Samus Aran was supposed to be a panda bear. However, in 1984 China stopped giving away pandas to The U.S. and Japan, instead opting to provide them on 10-year loans for fees of $1mil per year... In an act of rebellion, Gunpei Yokoi made the decision to change Samus' design to that of an American woman in a bikini as a show of solidarity with the United States.

12. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Last I checked, Cutting Room Floor doesn't own the "facts". They just are... "facts."

Metoroid0 likes this.
  13. Celice

United States
    There was never the suggestion of ownership--only that the guy behind DYKG profits off the work of others, and rather than help support the research by paying for the cost of hosting the TCRF forum or wiki he takes information from, pockets it for himself.

14. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

You just made my day! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Gahars likes this.
  15. xwatchmanx

United States
    But TCRF doesn't own that information... so why would he owe them anything? It's a wiki. If I wrote a book on a scientific subject, and used Wikipedia a LOT for my research, does that mean I'm "stealing" from wikipedia contributors' work and owe them anything? Of course not. Whenever you contribute to a wiki, it's understood that you're sharing that information freely for others' to use in whatever way they want. If you don't want people to use your work for free, then don't work on a freaking wiki.

16. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Wow. Awesome vid with some very interesting facts. Thank you.
    Awesome avatar by the way.

17. rdurbin

Member rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i guess thats like how some people think in zelda games the person you control is zelda and not Link.

Actually in the original NES instruction manual for metroid it says Samus is a man, not sure if they did that intentionally or it was a typo or nintendo of america just not knowing...

18. xwatchmanx

United States
    I'm pretty sure calling Samus a man in the manual was purposeful misdirection on NOA's part.

Rydian likes this.
  19. Celice

United States
    I never said he owed TCRF anything (are you reading my posts or just justifying an interpretation?).

I said, and I'll say again quite clearly: much of the information DYKG posts comes from sites like TCRF, but especially TCRF, with almost no recognition of where the original information came from (to verify that the information isn't fabricated; to find out more information about the game or data found; etc.). This creates a disparity about proving whether the information is sound, for rarely an explanation of the source of the information is given, besides, at best, ambiguous "found in the game" explanations. Moreover, the costs of maintaining the source of this information isn't just a generous or honorable thing to do, as DYKG culls information directly for its own profit and merit--it actually would be an intelligent and beneficial move, for if TCRF can no longer pay for its server costs, that is a huge loss of profit for DYKG's wallet by means of losing further research to cull.

DYKG isn't just missing a chance of being charitable towards its sources--it's missing a chance to actually improve its own standing.

20. xwatchmanx

United States
    Your very first post accused DYKG of "plagiarizing"... You see, accusing someone of "plagiarizing" insinuates that someone owns the information being plagiarized... otherwise there's nothing to be plagiarized.

All your posts here basically amount to "I'm not saying TCRF owns information and DYKG is stealing, but.... TCRF owns information and DYKG is stealing." Just because you word it differently or use more technical terms doesn't mean that's not what you're saying.

That said, I do agree with you on the bit about being charitable to TCRF. DYKG isn't obligated, but it would certainly be nice and beneficial if it did. I know I certainly would if I was in DYKG's position.