Intellivision announces new casual-targeted console

Amico_VintageWoodgrain_Rounded.png

Intellivision is finally ready to re-enter the console market with the Intellivision Amico. Named after the Italian word for friend, the Amico is a "really simple, fun party machine" focused on ease of use and couch multiplayer. Intellivision is not competing directly with industry titans like Sony or Microsoft, seeing itself as more complimentary to them, and instead is targeting non-gamers and children. The main feature of the Amico is its unique controller, which features a small touchscreen on the top half and a click wheel on the bottom half, that features 64 pressure-sensitive inputs (some other buttons can be seen on the side of the controller in the trailer, but they aren't referenced and likely aren't used for gameplay). Every game for the Amico will be designed around this controller, whether they're remakes of classic Atari and Intellivision titles or new titles designed specifically for the Amico. Some of the new titles demonstrated included an edutainment Sesame Street game, a few sports or board games, a game called Dolphin Quest that's being created by the original Ecco the Dolphin team, and a quick peek of the brand new Earthworm Jim title, also being created by its original team. In accordance with the focus on smaller titles, digital games will cost $9.99 or less, while physical titles will be $19.99 or less. Also, seemingly because of its younger target audience, controversial monetization tools like microtransactions and loot boxes will be strictly forbidden on the platform.

The Amico will be available on the 10th of October, 2021. The standard black and white options will retail for $249.99, while the woodgrain option will cost $279.99.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I agree that the price is just too much.
But this is a new player in the console market, even though they released consoles before.
That was like 40 years ago though, so a lot has changed.
It's not easy or cheap to release new hardware.
I think the price is this high because otherwise they would just lose money or lose too much money.
The silicon shortage also isn't helping.
And if I remembered correctly, the developers of Bit.Trip actually made a game for the system.

The price just kills it, but if it was cheaper I wouldn't see the problem with such a system being given to kids below 8 years.
It would be a good "my first game console" system in my opinion.
And you probably get some mothers and fathers who don't know anything about games to play along with them.
this not now console on the market type of deal same with that atari crap they lunched this are just pc/android machines just running an overlay at best, also for 10$ a game you will never amount to any market when your console cost the same as 25 games.

imagine if the ps5 costed the value of 25 games same for any other console, when the hardware price is so damn steep compared to the games something fishy is going on.

Also you know parents that want to give kids there first console and even play with them would just get a nintendo console, nintendo has highly accessible games for every age and the games are actually good.

i cant see anyone just wasting 250$ and then more 10$ on each game that lasts like 15 min at best do to most of them being hi score only games.

this thing will bomb hard same for the atari crap they released afew months back.

srs you can get a switch cheaper than this(lite) and even standard one would get you way more fun, like people said everyone with hands on reviews demolished this crap.

RocketFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So sad to see all these negative responses.
Most, if not all, people on this website are not the target audience.
That doesn't mean no one is buying it or will enjoy it.
To me it seems like diversity in the number of companies making consoles and trying new things is just a good thing for the industry. Maybe I'm the target audience - a retro gamer (yes, and geezer), but wondering if I could have some fun with it and get my wife and kids to spend time with me on something like this.

I do think there is a tough financial road ahead for this thing. From what I saw, Tommy' is saying a LOT more people are playing games "casually" (like for a few minutes of fun on their phones - with the dreaded flash games) than even the large number of serious gamers who are going to put hours into playing through something with a plot. There are limitations created by the way gaming has evolved. It may be a great game, but when would you ever play "Red Dead Redemption" sitting on a couch with your kid or a buddy who is over for some beers? (Well, maybe some Ratchet and Clank, though.) IMO this is just trying to get into the space which is more like Nintendo than PS5 and XBox - and take a few of those millions away from Nintendo. To me it seems like a reasonable goal. Since I am pro gaming, I am pro more options.

Also - why do you guys all think $250 is so much? Lunch for 2 at Five Guys yesterday was $25 and we SPLIT the fries! LOL. They are getting in the $100 range for USED Intellivision and Colecovision flashbacks on e-bay. Sorry - $250 is not very much money in 2021. Also, a price halfway between an Evercade Vs (retro emulation box), and a PS5 is probably appropriate-ish for this device.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
To me it seems like diversity in the number of companies making consoles and trying new things is just a good thing for the industry. Maybe I'm the target audience - a retro gamer (yes, and geezer), but wondering if I could have some fun with it and get my wife and kids to spend time with me on something like this.

I do think there is a tough financial road ahead for this thing. From what I saw, Tommy' is saying a LOT more people are playing games "casually" (like for a few minutes of fun on their phones - with the dreaded flash games) than even the large number of serious gamers who are going to put hours into playing through something with a plot. There are limitations created by the way gaming has evolved. It may be a great game, but when would you ever play "Red Dead Redemption" sitting on a couch with your kid or a buddy who is over for some beers? (Well, maybe some Ratchet and Clank, though.) IMO this is just trying to get into the space which is more like Nintendo than PS5 and XBox - and take a few of those millions away from Nintendo. To me it seems like a reasonable goal. Since I am pro gaming, I am pro more options.

Also - why do you guys all think $250 is so much? Lunch for 2 at Five Guys yesterday was $25 and we SPLIT the fries! LOL. They are getting in the $100 range for USED Intellivision and Colecovision flashbacks on e-bay. Sorry - $250 is not very much money in 2021. Also, a price halfway between an Evercade Vs (retro emulation box), and a PS5 is probably appropriate-ish for this device.
becuase most of those casual players that pplay for only afew minutes at the time just play on their phones, they dont buy a 250$ console to play mobile like games because they already have it on their hands imo.

nintendo has a very wide range of options from games that take hundrerds of hours to small simple games, this system wont have that and its more expensive than a switch lite and even regular switch or xbox series s is a much better deal, they can play those games and more, and not be limited to only that type of games, the games they offer here you can play them on your phone already so i dont see many people wasting 250$ on this "mobile games quality" console tbh.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also - why do you guys all think $250 is so much? Lunch for 2 at Five Guys yesterday was $25 and we SPLIT the fries! LOL.

The majority of people can't afford to waste $25 at five guys, those who can will likely buy a xbx or ps5 from a scalper.

There is a very small niche of people who could afford to buy this and would be seen dead with it.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not really sure where to start on this system. Do I think $250 is unreasonably expensive. Given that the internals are weaker than a $99 unsubsidized smart phone, yeah, I kinda do. And the shitty touch screen controllers aren't changing my mind at all. By Tallarico's own admission, the console will have no 3rd party support. There are going to be a few vetted 2nd party devs, but nearly everything is going to be released by Intellivision themselves. Everything surround this machine is completely toxic. There are people who hate it so much that they dox youtubers who make pro Amiico content. The Pro Amiico people have practically turned into a cult-like echo chamber who don't want to hear any criticism about the machine. Honestly, if it stays viable as a console for a year I'll be absolutely stunned. I think it'll be dead in 6 months. I keep hearing this called the Ouya 2.0, and I find that really unfair. The Ouya wasn't a vanity project build around the cult and ego of one man.

TL;DR This is a clusterfuck for a myriad of reasons.

RocketFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
becuase most of those casual players that pplay for only afew minutes at the time just play on their phones, they dont buy a 250$ console to play mobile like games because they already have it on their hands imo.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Obviously Nintendo is going to do a lot of things better than Intellivision, but I don't blame Intellivision for jumping in there and trying. Look. if I was forced to make a big $$ bet I would have to bet against them. They maybe already missed the Window - because if the demographic they want is grandparents and young kids they should have flooded Walmart and Target with the devices during the last two Christmas seasons.

There are people who hate it so much that they dox youtubers who make pro Amiico content.

Hating and attacking people of different opinions (or who are literally different) has always been a thing. The evil dictators and lynch mobs of the past would approve of those tactics! :wtf:

I am someone who tends to root for the underdog, and I'll also put in a vote for "B" content (movies, comics, video games, whatever) , which may not be a s slick, but sometimes contains hidden gems and innovation. For example, the Intellivision controllers look kind of cool to me. The multi-way disk thing might have some merit over the traditional 4-switch d-pad which I like and use so much.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hating and attacking people of different opinions (or who are literally different) has always been a thing. The evil dictators and lynch mobs of the past would approve of those tactics! :wtf:

Seriously? I mean, technically, you are correct, but that doesn't justify any of that behavior. When evil dictators and lynch mobs are the arbiters of how people should act, you're part of the problem.

If the console were retailing for $99, like the Ouya did, I don't think there would be as much hate toward it. I get rooting for the underdog, but the underdog does need to stop pissing on my leg first.

RocketFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
technically, you are correct, but that doesn't justify any of that behavior.
Woah - not expressing myself clearly there - I am very anti lynching and doxxing! I was trying to say doxxers are no better than the lynch mobs of the past - no tolerance.

Maybe I just put my money where my mouth is and "pre-order" - only slightly nervous I will not see any hardware - ever. LOL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F