Intel CEO predicts that chip shortage will continue until 2024

107035353-1648051986266-gettyimages-1239441298-semiconductor_hearing306_032322.jpg

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger thinks the current semiconductor shortage will last until 2024. Speaking to CNBC's TechCheck, he explained that the current shortages are impacting the equipment used to manufacture chips, reducing their ability to ramp up production. “That’s part of the reason that we believe the overall semiconductor shortage will now drift into 2024, from our earlier estimates in 2023," said Gelsinger, "just because the shortages have now hit equipment and some of those factory ramps will be more challenged."

Intel is making a concentrated effort right now to increase semiconductor manufacturing capabilities in the U.S. and Europe to disable the "tight hold" Asian manufacturers have on the industry. Intel has already broken ground on two $20 billion plants in Arizona, has pledged to build a $36 billion plant in Germany and is expected to invest "up to $100 billion" on a new complex in Ohio, which Intel believes may be the world's largest chip manufacturing complex. These investments are unlikely to help the current shortage, however, as the Arizona plants are not expected to begin production until 2025, and ground has not yet been broken on the other two.

:arrow: Source

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Very bad take. AMD only has a different approach with the public.
Once you actually get your hands into IT infrastructure, wonder why AMD is everywhere: videogames, cloud computing, AI simulations, military, tech production pipeline, supercomputers. Just to name a few.
I work in that industry and have solid business experience directly with AMD, I can tell you for sure that AMD might seem the underdog for the general public because their ray tracing or drivers are not as good as Nvidia's or whatever, but it is factually a tech monster, nothing underdog there.
Exactly. AMD used to be the underdog in the Phenom days... But those days have long-since passed.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you actually get your hands into IT infrastructure, wonder why AMD is everywhere: videogames, cloud computing, AI simulations, military, tech production pipeline, supercomputers. Just to name a few.
That actually makes this whole thing even crazier - if AMD is not so much an underdog, then WHY ARE WE ALWAYS FOCUSED ON INTEL?!? I mean, come on! I know Intel is a big company, but I think AMD deserves some mention of their activities! :glare:

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That actually makes this whole thing even crazier - if AMD is not so much an underdog, then WHY ARE WE ALWAYS FOCUSED ON INTEL?!? I mean, come on! I know Intel is a big company, but I think AMD deserves some mention of their activities! :glare:
Are we always focused on Intel? I feel that AMD get a huge amount of publicity.

AMD have a double edged sword using TSMC, on one hand it has given them a performance and power improvement that Intel have struggled to match. But it means they aren't in control of production.

This causes a problem if you are going to design a laptop that is shipping in a years time, do you roll the dice and hope that AMD will be able to meet your requirements or go for Intel. When Intel will be worse for battery life/heat, but will definitely ship.

This is the only reason that Intel have managed to stay at all relevant.

Neither AMD or Intel is an underdog, they both have their own troubles.

• Sad
Reactions: HarveyHouston

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Ridiculous that the chip shortage will have lasted at least five years before it ends. First we blamed the floods in Asia, then we blamed Coronavirus, now we blame the war in Ukraine. It wouldn't surprise me if this has all been an artificial shortage all along and these world events just keep revealing the pressure of that artificial shortage.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ridiculous that the chip shortage will have lasted at least five years before it ends. First we blamed the floods in Asia, then we blamed Coronavirus, now we blame the war in Ukraine. It wouldn't surprise me if this has all been an artificial shortage all along and these world events just keep revealing the pressure of that artificial shortage.
That would surprise me.

There is no single cause for the chip shortage, the semiconductor industry was on the verge of imploding for years before you became aware of it. Small changes in raw material supply and manufacturing have long knock on effects.

Increasing fab capacity takes a long time. But what you don't want to do is have an oversupply because then you risk fabs going out of business when they can't repay the money they borrowed to build all the new fabs.

A lot of the demand is for legacy processes, justifying building another 30 year old fab because it currently has demand would be a difficult decision to make.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Minox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@