psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I'm having a lot of trouble installing DVD backups of my Wii games to an External HD to use with the USB Loader. I've tried installing a handful of backups but few of them seem to work. The only one that worked was Punch-Out, but it didn't work very well.

Is there a special procedure for extracting the ISO from a backup and then putting it on the External HD? I've tried using ImgBurn to make the ISO but the WBFS manager I've downloaded won't read it.

Also, when I open the ISO file with WiU 1.1 or backup-creator, it says it's not a Wii ISO file.

Using cIOS Rev10, if that helps any.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no special procedure. It really should work each time. Have you tried installing them through the Wii like you would with a legit game?

psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I installed a legit version of WiiSports, which ran just fine. I then tried to install backups of a few other games. None of them worked except for Punch-Out, which didn't work very well.

I thought it might be something to do with the type of media that I'm using. However, all of the games loaded perfectly fine with WiiGator 0.3 Gamma previously...

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have the actual .iso still on your computer then you have wbfs manager just directly install that to your drive. It doesn't read it from the disc. In order to dump an .iso off of a disc you would need to use something like superdump and do it from your Wii. That would take longer than just installing it to your drive from the wii directly though.

What usb loader are you using to do this? If it installs at all from discs that work in normal disc loaders, any problems are more likely to be with the settings for the game or the usb loader you are using or the cIOS revision you are on or something of that sort.

psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
If you have the actual .iso still on your computer then you have wbfs manager just directly install that to your drive. It doesn't read it from the disc. In order to dump an .iso off of a disc you would need to use something like superdump and do it from your Wii. That would take longer than just installing it to your drive from the wii directly though.

What usb loader are you using to do this? If it installs at all from discs that work in normal disc loaders, any problems are more likely to be with the settings for the game or the usb loader you are using or the cIOS revision you are on or something of that sort.

I'm just using the Waininko USB 1.5 with cIOS rev10. Do you think upgrading to 13 would make a difference?

Also, I don't have the actual ISOs on my computer anymore. I was trying to extract the ISOs from my backup discs so I could try to put them on external HD using the WBFS Manager. But for some reason, the WBFS Manager is rejecting the ISOs I make using ImgBurn.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try using USB Loader GX or something that has more features. Upgrading to rev13a will give you back usb support for other devices at the very least and shouldn't hurt.

You're not supposed to be able to extract .iso's from a Wii disc through your computer unless you have a certain special dvd drive. As I said you'd need to use an app like superdump or something through the Wii to do that.

Edit: Also if you have been deleting anything off of the drive, there are some versions of things that caused stuff installed after that to get corrupted unless it was exactly the same size as what was previously deleted.

What happened was say you installed game A then game B then game C. Then you deleted game B and installed game D which was bigger than game B. It would cut into the install of game C a bit and corrupt them both and basically everything after game A would be screwed up unless you just formatted it again and started over. I'm not sure exactly what version of things fixed that, but just to be safe if you did delete stuff, just start over by formatting it again and reinstalling stuff.

psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Try using USB Loader GX or something that has more features. Upgrading to rev13a will give you back usb support for other devices at the very least and shouldn't hurt.

You're not supposed to be able to extract .iso's from a Wii disc through your computer unless you have a certain special dvd drive. As I said you'd need to use an app like superdump or something through the Wii to do that.

Edit: Also if you have been deleting anything off of the drive, there are some versions of things that caused stuff installed after that to get corrupted unless it was exactly the same size as what was previously deleted.

What happened was say you installed game A then game B then game C. Then you deleted game B and installed game D which was bigger than game B. It would cut into the install of game C a bit and corrupt them both and basically everything after game A would be screwed up unless you just formatted it again and started over. I'm not sure exactly what version of things fixed that, but just to be safe if you did delete stuff, just start over by formatting it again and reinstalling stuff.

I took your advice and tried GX. The interface seems cooler... but no luck. When I tried to install a backup game, it said "Not a Wii Disc."

I'll try updating to rev13 and see if that makes a difference.

psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just updated to cIOS Rev13. Still no difference... :-\

Does it make a difference if I downloaded some of these games scrubbed? Like I said, they worked fine with the WiiGator loader...

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psxboy500 said:
I took your advice and tried GX. The interface seems cooler... but no luck. When I tried to install a backup game, it said "Not a Wii Disc."

I'll try updating to rev13 and see if that makes a difference.
it shouldnt make a difference...what gx is telling you is true, they arent wii discs - and unless you have something like cioscorp, the wii will never seem them as wii discs, i believe.

psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leondmsmith said:
If you have a backup game you can use nero to make an iso image which WBFS will be able to use. I have done this many times.

That's the problem, though. I've been using ImgBurn to creating an ISO image and WBFS isn't able to use it. It doesn't recognize it as a Wii ISO.

As I said, many of the games I've downloaded have been scrubbed. I've had to unscrub them in order to burn them on a DVD. However, I just got WiiPlay scrubbed, put the ISO onto the HD without unscrubbing it, and it worked fine...

lajd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psxboy500 said:
...I've been using ImgBurn to creating an ISO image and WBFS isn't able to use it. It doesn't recognize it as a Wii ISO.

As I said, many of the games I've downloaded have been scrubbed. I've had to unscrub them in order to burn them on a DVD. However, I just got WiiPlay scrubbed, put the ISO onto the HD without unscrubbing it, and it worked fine...

Imgburn is way better than nero and it's output should be easily used by any PC wbfs manager. I suspect your discs are damaged. Did you try installing from the ISOs that you originally downloaded?

Also, it wouldn't matter if you are installing scrubbed ISOs.

And what did you mean unscrubbing?

psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. It seems I've found the source of my troubles. Now I just don't know where to go from here...

Here's a topic I posted in the Wii Hardware/Utilities forum. But it seems as if more people post on this one:

Hi all,

Silly question -- but I've got to ask it. Seems like I've gotten myself in a bit of a bind. For the past few months, I've been using WiiGator 0.3 Gamma to play backup DVDs of Wii games.

I've acquired a number of these games scrubbed. In order to unscrub them, burn them on a DVD, and play them on a Wii, I've been using backup-creator.exe. It has worked well.

However, this past week, I decided to switch over to an external HD setup and run USB Loader 1.5. I've been trying to install my backup Wii games -- formerly scrubbed -- onto the HD. But when I insert a backup disc, it says "Not a Wii DVD" and won't let me install.

So I decided to use ImgBurn and dump the ISO file off the DVD, opting to try and use a WBFS manager to load the ISO on that way. However, this did not work with my formerly-scrubbed games either. When I rip an ISO, the WBFS manager and a slew of other applications tell me it's not a Wii ISO, leaving me out of luck.

How do I know it's a problem with the games that were at one time scrubbed? I've dumped DVDs that were formerly non-scrubbed ISOs onto the hard-drive, and it's worked just fine. It's only the DVDs whose ISOs were one time scrubbed that I am having problems with.

Now comes the big question: What should I do? Is there a way I can make these ISOs scrubbed again? Or make it so the WBFS Manager and other applications at least read them as a Wii ISO again?

lolorlofl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
psxboy500 said:
So I decided to use ImgBurn and dump the ISO file off the DVD, opting to try and use a WBFS manager to load the ISO on that way. However, this did not work with my formerly-scrubbed games either. When I rip an ISO, the WBFS manager and a slew of other applications tell me it's not a Wii ISO, leaving me out of luck.

QUOTE(lolorlofl @ Jul 21 2009, 08:50 PM) You can't make up backups of your own Wii game the traditional way unless you have a certain DVD drive (from LG I believe). The only way to make backups of your own Wii game is to do it through the WiiHttp Dumper application.

http://forums.nintendo-scene.com/index.php?topic=2415.0

Follow that guide for more info.

WiiJoe73

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psxboy500 said:
OK. It seems I've found the source of my troubles. Now I just don't know where to go from here...

Here's a topic I posted in the Wii Hardware/Utilities forum. But it seems as if more people post on this one:

Hi all,

Silly question -- but I've got to ask it. Seems like I've gotten myself in a bit of a bind. For the past few months, I've been using WiiGator 0.3 Gamma to play backup DVDs of Wii games.

I've acquired a number of these games scrubbed. In order to unscrub them, burn them on a DVD, and play them on a Wii, I've been using backup-creator.exe. It has worked well.

However, this past week, I decided to switch over to an external HD setup and run USB Loader 1.5. I've been trying to install my backup Wii games -- formerly scrubbed -- onto the HD. But when I insert a backup disc, it says "Not a Wii DVD" and won't let me install.

How do I know it's a problem with the games that were at one time scrubbed? I've dumped DVDs that were formerly non-scrubbed ISOs onto the hard-drive, and it's worked just fine. It's only the DVDs whose ISOs were one time scrubbed that I am having problems with.

Now comes the big question: What should I do? Is there a way I can make these ISOs scrubbed again? Or make it so the WBFS Manager and other applications at least read them as a Wii ISO again?

Yeah I had the same problems.....I searched for a little while and found this thread. The program you're looking for in this thread is called bunpatcher

Just put bunpatcher and the .iso into a folder in the root of your C:\ drive in Windows, then go to the command prompt (Run > cmd) and type bunpatcher.exe xxxx.iso xxxxnewone.iso

That will do the business on your .iso file creating a good file that you can then transfer with WBFS to yourt hard drive where your USB loader will pick it up. Simples.
rolleyes.gif

psxboy500

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiJoe73 said:
psxboy500 said:

Hi all,

Yeah I had the same problems.....I searched for a little while and found this thread. The program you're looking for in this thread is called bunpatcher

Just put bunpatcher and the .iso into a folder in the root of your C:\ drive in Windows, then go to the command prompt (Run > cmd) and type bunpatcher.exe xxxx.iso xxxxnewone.iso

That will do the business on your .iso file creating a good file that you can then transfer with WBFS to yourt hard drive where your USB loader will pick it up. Simples.
rolleyes.gif

Thank you so much! It worked PERFECT. You're a true life-saver.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@