Installing CFW on 9.2

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by johnluong96, Mar 15, 2016.

1. johnluong96
    OP

johnluong96 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    United States
    Hello guys, I just downgraded my 2DS from 10.6 to 9.2 and now I'm looking to install a CFW. I know that there are couple out there (I don't mind too much of what I get, just want to install CIA files and setup A9LH) and I was wondering if there is a good video tutorial that can help me install a cfw and perhaps after help me A9LH? Text tutorials really aren't my thing. >_> If it matters at all, I'm using OoT3d + Powersaves.

2. Ryu X

Ryu X GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2007
    United States
    Honestly I wouldn't set up a9lh unless you understand what you are doing any why you are doing each step because it can be really easy to brick. I would set up cakes or rxtools in emunand booted through menuhax.

Al9x is something you want to read though the guide several times to not miss a step you can watch a video to get a better idea but its still better to read the guide.

I watched this guys videos before although they are kind of outdated on both of them, but you can get a general understanding of what to do.
    cfw -
    al9x -

3. johnluong96
    OP

johnluong96 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    United States
    If I follow all the steps for the CFW video, will I be good?

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you don't know what you're doing, I suggest you follow this guide (yes, it's text) to setup rxTools emuNAND. Afterwards, you should also follow the part of the guide that explains how to launch rxTools at boot through menuhax so you don't have to use oot3dhax nor the web browser.

For the average user, setting up A9LH is time-consuming, mildly risky, and unnecessary. The only tangible day-to-day benefit of A9LH is slightly faster boot times.

5. tipsytoto

tipsytoto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    United States
    I'd say a9lh is a tad overrated as someone who just did it on one of my consoles. Scary potential system brick opportunities during the long setup and all you really gain is a slightly faster bootup time that works 100% of the time instead of 90% of the time. You also attain some anti-brick support via being able to boot directly into decrypt9 and potentially reflash an older version of your sysnand if you brick it.

BUT you lose out on region free(none of the a9lh cfw's currently support it), which I personally think is a pretty big loss but people like to defend a9lh on that front because it will likely be supported in the near future and a lot of region locked games can 'be found' region unlocked.

Other than the initial cool factor of being able to turn on the system and have it work just like an unhacked 3ds, there isn't much to a9lh for the layman user. rxtools is easier to setup, minimal risks assuming you've already downgraded and will provide you with all the functionality you could want for the most part. If you can live with the slower boot time and the once in a blue moon hang on startup, I'd skip a9lh. Just my personal opinion as someone using both, but hey, who knows, maybe there are some cool features I am unaware of that a9lh provides to power users.

joeh1974 likes this.
  6. InjusticeBoy

InjusticeBoy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    With 3.0 beta 2, I get stuck at "Installation Data Suite" screen. It advances only to the 2 box, and just stays there stuck. Anything that can work to fix it?