Homebrew Installing Bootmii backups on another Wii

TirantRex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Main Wii is out of commission ATM and I would still like to play some Wii games. I have a very recent backup of my old Wii's Nand and was wondering if I can just install that backup on a new replacement Wii? (The Wii's are the same color and the same motherboard revision)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No (unless you were to swap the GPUs as they contain the OTP which sets the encryption key), but if you have a backup of both consoles (or at least the keys.bin of the new one) you can use Betwiin to convert the backup for the new console and then restore that!

TirantRex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No (unless you were to swap the GPUs as they contain the OTP which sets the encryption key), but if you have a backup of both consoles (or at least the keys.bin of the new one) you can use Betwiin to convert the backup for the new console and then restore that!
Thanks! I'll look into that. I haven't homebrewed the new console yet but I'll do that right now and get the new keys.bin.

TirantRex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried running betwiin.py and got this error:

File: "[path of betwiin.py]", line 15
print "Cluster chain for %s:" % (entry.patch+entry.name)
Syntax Error: invalid syntax

D

Deleted User

I tried running betwiin.py and got this error:

File: "[path of betwiin.py]", line 15
print "Cluster chain for %s:" % (entry.patch+entry.name)
Syntax Error: invalid syntax

Perhaps your file path has special characters. I get errors like this a lot, so maybe that's the problem.

D

Deleted User

I've never used this software before, but do you need to have Python installed? If yes, then you need to have the latest Python 2.7.x running in order to use this code, as the error message suggests it runs on an older Python syntax (which used the "print" word as a statement instead of a function, something that Python 3.x uses and requires).

TirantRex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never used this software before, but do you need to have Python installed? If yes, then you need to have the latest Python 2.7.x running in order to use this code, as the error message suggests it runs on an older Python syntax (which used the "print" word as a statement instead of a function, something that Python 3.x uses and requires).
I'm a little confused. So do I need to use a version of python 2.7.x or should I use the most up-to-date version of python?

D

Deleted User

Wait, let me get this straight. Does the program itself say that it requires python to run? I say this because of the file "betwiin.py", which has a .py extension (indicating it is a Python program). If the answer is yes, then you need Python 2.7.x, 3.x will not work.
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2716/
Make sure to uninstall Python 3.x (if it is installed) before running the setup above. If you do not do this, then you will have to mess with your environment variables.

TirantRex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, let me get this straight. Does the program itself say that it requires python to run? I say this because of the file "betwiin.py", which has a .py extension (indicating it is a Python program). If the answer is yes, then you need Python 2.7.x, 3.x will not work.
Make sure to uninstall Python 3.x (if it is installed) before running the setup above. If you do not do this, then you will have to mess with your environment variables.
I installed Python 2.7.16 and the program runs but it's missing modules. I'm now trying to figure out how to install pycrypto. Will work on this more tomorrow.

TirantRex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I got the program to start running but it errors out after setting up the files it needs.

TirantRex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is what happens now after installing pycrypto, numpy, and also OpenSSL: The program runs until it gets to "Updating cluster 3f (block 7)" the next lines read as follows:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\[path]\betwiin.py", line 54, in <module>

superblock_clister = find_newest_superblock(input_nand)
File "C:\[path]\nand.py", line 523, in find_newest_superblock
print "Superblock @%x: %x" % (superblock_cluster, superblock.version())
File "C:\[path]\nand.py", line 496, in version return unpack (">1",self.data_buffer[0x4:0x8])[0]
struct.error: unpack requires a string argument of length 4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr