Installing a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit OS

~De arimasu

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My friend recently did something to their laptop (not a clue what) and from what I can gather from their explaination, they need to reinstall the OS.

Unfortunately they don't have their 32 bit copy of Vista but I do have my copy of 64 bit Windows 7. The question is, what effect will upgrading from x84 Vista to x64 Windows 7 have on the laptop?

I mean in terms of from x84 to x64 rather than Vista to Windows 7 as I already know what that does cos I did that with my own laptop.

Any information is appreciated
smile.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To start with you can't upgrade from x86 to x64 versions of Windows, if that's what you meant by 'upgrading'. You need to do a fresh install.

Does the laptop in question also have a x64 cpu?

There shouldn't be much of a negative effect if the laptop is capable of running 64bit Windows. 16 bit applications will no longer work, think dos games. There's always a dos emulator for that anyway.
tongue.gif

The majority of 32bit applications will function perfectly.

If you have over 3.5 gigs of ram 64 bit windows will allow you to access it. Some applications are beginning to perform better on 64 bit windows also. There's not too many yet, but this is slowly increasing.

Before you install a 64bit OS you should make sure that there are 64 bit drivers for it. 32bit ones just won't work. If the laptop was released when Vista was released, there should be 64bit compatible drivers for it.

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also keep in mind, you do not need to format your hdd to install a new os. In fact, unlike xp win 7 doesn't even recommend it.

~De arimasu

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edhel said:
To start with you can't upgrade from x86 to x64 versions of Windows, if that's what you meant by 'upgrading'. You need to do a fresh install.

Does the laptop in question also have a x64 cpu?

There shouldn't be much of a negative effect if the laptop is capable of running 64bit Windows. 16 bit applications will no longer work, think dos games. There's always a dos emulator for that anyway.
tongue.gif

The majority of 32bit applications will function perfectly.

If you have over 3.5 gigs of ram 64 bit windows will allow you to access it. Some applications are beginning to perform better on 64 bit windows also. There's not too many yet, but this is slowly increasing.

Before you install a 64bit OS you should make sure that there are 64 bit drivers for it. 32bit ones just won't work. If the laptop was released when Vista was released, there should be 64bit compatible drivers for it.
So if the driver is a 32bit one, will it just be a case of installing a new one or will the laptop just not work?

I'm not wanting to be held liable for rendering her laptop completely useless because I've not looked into things enough xD

vjgbatemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're going to reinstall the OS you may as well go for the 64bit version. once installed just download all drivers from windows update.

tpb ftw dude.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
~De arimasu said:
So if the driver is a 32bit one, will it just be a case of installing a new one or will the laptop just not work?

I'm not wanting to be held liable for rendering her laptop completely useless because I've not looked into things enough xD

It's a simple case of installing a compatible driver. Chances are that Windows 7 will have some drivers built in already for it. Like the poster above said, you can try Windows Update for the others, or go to the laptop manufacturers website and see if they have 64 bit drivers there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp