Install Ubuntu to USB?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by raiderscrusade, Jun 28, 2011.

Jun 28, 2011
  1. raiderscrusade
    OP

Member raiderscrusade GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hello,

Recently I have been interested in installing Ubuntu (latest version).

What I want to do is install it to a USB, rather than as a 2nd OS on the current HDD.

This is because I want it to be a portable OS, if you like, that I can take anywhere and use by just plugging in the USB and booting into it.

The only problem is that I have no idea how I would go about installing Ubuntu to the USB, rather than the HDD. I know how to boot into the USB, I just don't know how to install it onto the USB.

So, has anybody tried doing this? Having Ubuntu installed on a USB and treated as a portable OS?

Do you know of any tutorials I can find, that tell me how to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. ShinyLatios

Member ShinyLatios Local "That Guy"

Netherlands
    I remember doing this... while following instructions on the official site [​IMG]

I think you first install to USB, then when inside Ubuntu you could optionally install to HD?

edit: yep. check here!

3. Holified 2x

Member Holified 2x GBAtemp Fan

United States
  4. raiderscrusade
    OP

Member raiderscrusade GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I think both mentioned guides focus on making a bootable installation USB, from which Ubuntu can be installed off, rather than installing the OS directly to the USB.

5. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    I've got a bootable ubuntu on my external hard drive that is on a separate 100GB partition, while there still was data on the drive itself. You just need a separate partition on your hard drive and install ubuntu to that location. Not really something special

Little note BTW: Hard drive speed will impact performance greatly, I've got an external hard drive that gets its power from the USB ports only and it got some lag in it.

Edit: Edited my post greatly after googling it, nutella's reply is a reaction to my old post

6. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    Just install it like you would on a regular HDD, but choose your USB for the installation, making sure you install the bootloader to the USB too. Then you can boot off your USB in the same fashion as you booted the Live CD/DVD/USB.