Homebrew Install RetroArch?

Marc1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now i installed the RETROARCH CHANNEL but it just doesn't load... I don't know how can this be any more difficult to do... I don't say it's a bad thing (retroarch), actually it works great, is just getting it to work is the difficult part...
I agree 100% I actually got the channel to install, it's the roms that I'm fighting now for no art cheats etc

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what is your folder setup like?

Edit: download this and extract it to SD:/retroarch/

https://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/frontend/bundle.zip
that will add in assets and databases.
When I get off work I'll snap some pics of how I have my folder setup for ya.

metalsniper63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As soon as i figure this thing out, i'm going to write a tutorial, because this is Ungodly Difficult to get to function properly .

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as i figure this thing out, i'm going to write a tutorial, because this is Ungodly Difficult to get to function properly .

i got everything working with the channel, but thats after trying the elf install, rpx install, and finally the channel install. im gonna wipe everything and start from scratch with the channel, so that i can get a good feel for a proper install.

Reactions: Marc1984

Marc1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got everything working with the channel, but thats after trying the elf install, rpx install, and finally the channel install. im gonna wipe everything and start from scratch with the channel, so that i can get a good feel for a proper install.
When you say everything do you mean box art, cheats etc? Also what version are you using?

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say everything do you mean box art, cheats etc? Also what version are you using?
latest channel version. installed the channel, black screen. added the retroarch folder from the retroarch-rpx zip. this brought progress as the app would now load to xmb, but with a white background aka missing assets. copied all the files over from the bundle.zip i linked earlier to sd:/retroarch. then entered sd:/retroarch/assets and copied everything in that folder to sd:/retroarch/media. all of that gave me a functioning retroarch channel.

next i scanned my nes rom folder at sd:/roms/nes, and that gave me a nes tab with all of my nes roms on the xmb menu. for cheats, just download through retroarch content updater, and for thumbnails "boxart", your options are to download through retroarch "slow" ,or download them onto your pc and tranfer to your sd.
the best place to get individual system thumbnail packs is to visit this link. http://thumbnailpacks.libretro.com/
http://thumbnailpacks.libretro.com/
this is not really meant to be a tutorial, just my experience in getting this to work.

Marc1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@reminon
So uploading a image is being special at the moment...

Sd/roms= SNES, NES, and
latest channel version. installed the channel, black screen. added the retroarch folder from the retroarch-rpx zip. this brought progress as the app would now load to xmb, but with a white background aka missing assets. copied all the files over from the bundle.zip i linked earlier to sd:/retroarch. then entered sd:/retroarch/assets and copied everything in that folder to sd:/retroarch/media. all of that gave me a functioning retroarch channel.

next i scanned my nes rom folder at sd:/roms/nes, and that gave me a nes tab with all of my nes roms on the xmb menu. for cheats, just download through retroarch content updater, and for thumbnails "boxart", your options are to download through retroarch "slow" ,or download them onto your pc and tranfer to your sd.
the best place to get individual system thumbnail packs is to visit this link. http://thumbnailpacks.libretro.com/
this is not really meant to be a tutorial, just my experience in getting this to work.

Thanks i'll give this a go, again...

metalsniper63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

when you say, "added retroarch folder from the retroarch-rpx.zip" where did you put that content? in the root of SD? i tried that and still get a black screen...

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you say, "added retroarch folder from the retroarch-rpx.zip" where did you put that content? in the root of SD? i tried that and still get a black screen...
when you open the retroarch-rpx zip you are presented with 2 folders: "retroarch" and "wiiu". you only need the retroarch folder. extract it to sd:/, then delete the "sd:/wiiu/apps/retroarch" folder if you still have it, so that it doesnt conflict with the channel's built in rpx.

metalsniper63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i finally managed to get the channel to work. Actually you don't need to copy the "Assets" folder to media because it is there already. At least for me it was.
I just cannot make RETROARCH to automatically detect my roms. I have to select my rom manually. But you know what? i will just leave it at that , i only wanted retroarch to play 3 games (Metal Slug 4, Rage of the Dragons and Castlevania SOTN), and i already have them running fine.

Reactions: Marc1984

Marc1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i finally managed to get the channel to work. Actually you don't need to copy the "Assets" folder to media because it is there already. At least for me it was.
I just cannot make RETROARCH to automatically detect my roms. I have to select my rom manually. But you know what? i will just leave it at that , i only wanted retroarch to play 3 games (Metal Slug 4, Rage of the Dragons and Castlevania SOTN), and i already have them running fine.

Finally got mine setup! Box arts, cheats, etc... @A Plus Ric get some one on one with me maybe he can help you too

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To get Retroarch to detect your roms you have to use a pc tool called playlist buddy, but if your happy with the setup you have then you can keep it the way it is now :)
But remember if you ever want the proper rom lists the apps called Playlist Buddy :)

metalsniper63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
yeah, i saw the Playlist Buddy app, but i have a Mac, and i'm really too lazy to make the playlists myself. So it's fine, i just hope we get Dynarec for PSX so i can properly play Castlevania SOTN

Reactions: Marc1984 and ploggy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah but I'd tie him up in the females bathroom