Hardware Initial experience with a brand new switch.

lostboysteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got one for my son but I did also purchase BOTW for myself.

First issue: For the life of me I could not connect to any of my 3 routers. Switch is in a room about 25 feet from my main unit. After calling Nintendo, I was advised that the switch has an optimal wireless range of 15 feet or less. When I moved closer to the router alas it worked. Strange. Btw, I could see all of the routers from the switch with decent signal, but it just refused to connect. So now that I moved my modem and router into the room with the switch I suppose it will be ok, but this is quite aggravating.

Second issue: This thing has no streaming services. Shit, it doesn't even have some sort of Nintendo stream service.

The good news is that hopefully an update will make both of these things possible.

It is a cool system in theory, but as usual the execution is questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lostboysteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had no issues with wireless, but yeah I'm really holding out for Netflix or something on it

How far from the router are you? It's really strange and for a Nintendo rep to tell me 15-20ft max distance is just insane to me. Especially for a "hand held" unit.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Second issue: This thing has no streaming services. Shit, it doesn't even have some sort of Nintendo stream service.

They're coming, just need to give it a little time now. Netflix has already confirmed that their Switch build is ready. And Japan has already received its first streaming service on the Switch.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had no issues with wireless. Can connect to my router over 20ft away. Also I don't understand the hype for streaming services. While it would be nice, at this point everyone owns some device that can stream Netflix.

Reactions: Xzi

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How far from the router are you? It's really strange and for a Nintendo rep to tell me 15-20ft max distance is just insane to me. Especially for a "hand held" unit.

When I'm home I'm probably about 30-40 feet from it, and I'm probably about 25 feet from the nearest access point in my dorm

Reactions: lostboysteve

lostboysteve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had no issues with wireless. Can connect to my router over 20ft away. Also I don't understand the hype for streaming services. While it would be nice, at this point everyone owns some device that can stream Netflix.

Yeah, but only so many hdmi ports.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
@lostboysteve You might want to check if something is interfering with the signal, one of my friends has super thick wall in his apartment, so the wifi only works in the room where the router is, or if the room's door is open. Other emitting devices can affect the quality of the signal too.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing questionable is you not reading up about what you're buying before complaining about the lack of features. Yeah, it doesn't have streaming features yet but if that's even part of why you're looking for a Switch you look it up on google first. The Wifi antenna in the console sucks. Not your fault, you could have found some posts about it here but it's not a widespread complain really.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only thing questionable is you not reading up about what you're buying before complaining about the lack of features. Yeah, it doesn't have streaming features yet but if that's even part of why you're looking for a Switch you look it up on google first.
You could have written that in a way that it is not rude at all, and still send the message.
Anyway, I agree... The system description doesn't mention streaming support, and actually (even though there probably will be streaming applications later) it has always been advertised as a video games machine first (and almost only), not as a media center.
It makes me sad to see people that buy lemons that look like lemons in the lemon section and later complain they don't taste like oranges, it is very sad really...

That said,
The Wifi antenna in the console sucks. Not your fault, you could have found some posts about it here but it's not a widespread complain really.
The product is advertised as having wifi connectivity, and it is responsibility of the brand that is selling it to make it work correctly with the features they advertise. It is not up to the consumer to research that everything written by the company in the product box is true, if something is not true the company should be made accountable.

That said, I've experienced with my own Switch perfect WiFi connectivity, and my router is more than 7 meters away.
Perhaps your are using 2.5GHz WiFi and that doesn't work well with it (no idea, I am on 5GHz), or perhaps your Switch is defective.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wi-Fi chip on the Switch is worse than the one on the 3DS.
I have a 3DS, and when I try to download something (2GB) from the eShop it takes hours.
I have a Switch, and when I try to download something (6GB) from the eShop it takes minutes.
Hmmm... The outlier I guess. /s

To be honest, when I think about all the devices I have around here, iMac, MBP, XB1S, Switch, WiiU, etc...
The only thing that has a Wi-Fi chip that gives me unexpected headaches (connection going away, etc) is my damn Sony BRAVIA.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I had to change the channel setting on my router to get the Switch to stay reliably connected. Give it a try, OP. If your router is on "Auto" it's probably gonna default to channel 1, just like all your neighbors who are also on "Auto." Choose a specific channel like "12" and see if your connection gets more stable.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS, and when I try to download something (2GB) from the eShop it takes hours.
I have a Switch, and when I try to download something (6GB) from the eShop it takes minutes.
Hmmm... The outlier I guess. /s

To be honest, when I think about all the devices I have around here, iMac, MBP, XB1S, Switch, WiiU, etc...
The only thing that has a Wi-Fi chip that gives me unexpected headaches (connection going away, etc) is my damn Sony BRAVIA.
I was refering to the range, oops.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +2