Infinity Ward and Neversoft merging into single "Super Studio"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, May 5, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Infinity Ward, or at least, the shambling husk of Infinity Ward, is pretty much the Call of Duty developer whenever Treyarch's doing their thing in the background. Neversoft is the developer behind the Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero series - two franchises that are just about deader than "deader than disco" jokes.

But with their powers combined they form... uh, Infinity Ward.

:arrow:Giant Bomb

Tell me what thy lordly name is, ye who Activision has offed!'
    Quoth the raven, `Neversoft.'

As the article mentions, the Neversoft team has worked on the Call of Duty franchise before, so this isn't entirely new territory for them. Honestly, the Infinity Ward team needs as many talented people as it can get its hands on, and it's not like Neversoft is too busy with its own franchises anyway. Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned there, about not overexposing a series until everyone is sick of it, but who knows?

At this rate, how long will it be before the studio swallows the whole company? Activision Infinity Blizzard is a very workable name, after all.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Neversoft, eh?

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    On topic, that's nice I suppose. IIRC, the only things Neversoft did was Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk, so maybe Infinity Ward will make a "Call of Guitar: Hero Pro Skater" :creep:

3. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Too bad Infinity Soft,NeverWard,Infinity Never, or Wardsoft didn't happen.

Maybe Neversoft franchises can comeback.

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Yup...that's some serious teaming up there. And with neversoft not really bringing out new games lately, it's no wonder why they went for the infinity ward name either (but why is there a neversoft logo in this article, then? :unsure: ).

If I understand the relationships correct, activision blizzard owns both of these studios, so it's logical they call the shots on this. It doesn't alter the relationship, though (yeah, I get that the A.I.B. thing is a joke, but I wanted to know the real relationships first).

5. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Tony Hawk's Guitar of Duty: Ghosts :ph34r:

6. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Unless this means new "Guitar" games, I could care less.

7. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Posts like this are a diamond dozen, aren't they?

The_Hulkster likes this.
  8. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Well I wouldn't care more.

Side note, I would have thought NeverSoft was dead had I not read this article. They did make some quality games.

9. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    If I can't ride Skateboards in my next Call Of Duty game, or shred someone's face off with a guitar solo, I will be most upset

10. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I'm not too sure about this because I love Neversoft.
    They've been helping with call of duty for a while I'm pretty sure since Guitar Hero is dead.

11. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    there was a time when tony hawks, guitar hero and call of duty was about quality through and through and not milking nor fan pleasure. i hope they bring their old ways back like call of duty world at war or tony hawks n64.

12. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Does this rule out any more Tony Hawk or guitar games? I think those game types aren't that popular anymore anyway.
    Because the author likes seeing big creepy eyes in company logos.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Super studio you say, wonder if this will be like music supergroups or "written by ten of your favourite writers".

calmwaters I am not sure where Tony Hawk games sit these days. I am pretty sure the EA "Skate" games did pretty well so there is a market of sorts, all we really saw from the Tony Hawk series was stuff like downhill jam and needs custom controller nonsense. Before that was the increasingly silly underground and whatever else titles. The question is whether the "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD" title did it any favours, from where I sit it could go either way and with EA Black Box being lost in the shuffle it could be a time to consider a return.

14. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I thought I heard something about guitar hero making a comeback on the current generation of consoles. I'm up for some Wii U guitar hero as long as they use the same controllers/guitars, since I still have my three guitars and drum set.

15. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    I'd really love to get on a skateboard while owning people with an uber guitar that shoots lasers.

chavosaur likes this.
  16. Alato

Alato GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2008
    Canada
    I guess they could use the help from a company that already has experience making the same game year after year.