Hacking In-Game Text Reader On its way...

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
They seem to be blaming hardware limitations, then how do other cards have this feature?

One other card has this feature: the Supercard DS One. If you take the time to look at it, the Supercard team has implemented it horribly. This in-game text reader will most likely trump Supercard's version because TeamCyclops generally makes their features very professional, and user-friendly.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahh dont fight guys :[
lets just all be one happy family
and be grateful team cyclops is finally releasing this
its good news :]
now i dont have to look online so much
and can play games on trips when i dont have my comp
and no worries
team cyclops will update this feature fershure

Xeijin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Fat D said:
which does not render it a contractual obligation. But this argument leads nowhere, so I take the personal viewpoint joker. I believe you can enjoy the extra features, but must not demand them, you say they are expectable.

I think you are taking this much too seriously. My comment was meant to be taken more as an expression rather than any sort of rant or moan about the cyclo team (as you seem to have understood it) evidenced by the fact that you are the only one who has taken issue with it. I am not unhappy with the Cyclo team, I think they are doing a fantastic job. My main and utmost concern is regular updates to ensure compatibility with new games and stability. However if a feature has been promised so profoundly by the cyclo team, and has been delayed so often I am going to take the personal viewpoint joker and say that I am going to demand them to an extent. I doubt very much that I was the only person who bought a Cyclo on the basis that the In-Game Text Reader would be implemented.

Xeijin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Infinity-X said:
RupeeClock said:
Infinity-X said:
I don't really see the problem with it being in the same folder as long as the feature works..

No, I can see why people would want a separate folder.
The root of the microSD would get very cluttered if people added a lot of text files for each game, and that can cause problems.

I'd quite like it if you could put text into x:\Cyclo\text actually, with the same Mario.txt to Mario.nds thing.
But then the problem is if you have two Mario.nds files somewhere on your cyclo.
But isn't that why we have folders? To organize? Thats why I have a folder called games, homebrew, music, and videos so it'd be easier to find everything. So can't people just make a folder for the game?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Xeijin said:
If I have misunderstood you then let me explain why a seperate text folder would be better. Even if you have your folder 'Games' and assuming you chucked all of your NDS ROMs in there, you would also have to put all of your text files in there at the same time, thus having a load of nds roms and text files mixed together. Obviously this isn't a HUGE issue, and you can prevent this stuff coming on the Cyclo menu by hiding it but it would have been better to have a dedicated folder.
I do not recall the non-game files being visible in the GUI, so the clutter would be minimal. And it is about one folder for games, right. We already have the save files, RTS files etc. in there, why are text files bothering you now?

Xeijin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Fat D said:
Xeijin said:
If I have misunderstood you then let me explain why a seperate text folder would be better. Even if you have your folder 'Games' and assuming you chucked all of your NDS ROMs in there, you would also have to put all of your text files in there at the same time, thus having a load of nds roms and text files mixed together. Obviously this isn't a HUGE issue, and you can prevent this stuff coming on the Cyclo menu by hiding it but it would have been better to have a dedicated folder.
I do not recall the non-game files being visible in the GUI, so the clutter would be minimal. And it is about one folder for games, right. We already have the save files, RTS files etc. in there, why are text files bothering you now?

I was assuming they appeared along with other files as with other carts. If they do not then obviously it is not an issue. As my original post said it is not a HUGE issue I just think it might have been better to have them in a seperate folder. I do not create ~4MB RTS files for all of my games (in fact only two have RTS Files, Advance Wars and FF Tactics A2) and in fact it may be that there are already too many files in the games folder.

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freeben666 said:
I hope this useless feature don't slow the games...

Maybe they'll have an option to turn it off or if there is no txt file, the option doesn't activate.

QUOTE(NeSchn @ Jul 10 2008, 01:08 AM) Nice, So now I don't have to kick people off the computer when I am stuck in Apollo Justice.

I just downloaded the txt file and put it in my moonshell folder and went to that when I needed help in the Ace Attorney games, since you can save just about anywhere.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to see how this feature develops. I've got a slot-2 Supercard and use the in-game guide feature for Pokemon, and I usually don't mind the font or lack of position saving between reboots. What does irk me is the the fact that it breaks lines in the middle of words, as it doesn't move a word to the next line if it's too long to fit on the current one.

So I'll be reading the scre
en and it will break off a
t random times because i
t can only display a certa
in number of characters
per line. It's highly frust
rating.

I attempted to forcibly change the number of characters per line before converting to SCB format, but the converter refused to work with it unless it was set to 80 characters per line, much more than the 27-28 or so that the screen actually holds.

In essence, I'm curious to see if the CycloDS Evo implementation will have this same issue or if you can bypass it by forcing the character width to be something other than 80, since it uses plain *.txt files with no conversion necessary.

Xeijin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
I'm curious to see how this feature develops. I've got a slot-2 Supercard and use the in-game guide feature for Pokemon, and I usually don't mind the font or lack of position saving between reboots. What does irk me is the the fact that it breaks lines in the middle of words, as it doesn't move a word to the next line if it's too long to fit on the current one.

So I'll be reading the scre
en and it will break off a
t random times because i
t can only display a certa
in number of characters
per line. It's highly frust
rating.

I attempted to forcibly change the number of characters per line before converting to SCB format, but the converter refused to work with it unless it was set to 80 characters per line, much more than the 27-28 or so that the screen actually holds.

In essence, I'm curious to see if the CycloDS Evo implementation will have this same issue or if you can bypass it by forcing the character width to be something other than 80, since it uses plain *.txt files with no conversion necessary.

That sounds interesting. Someone has released a command line application that sets the characters to 51 per line, but it suffers from the problem you indicated where words continue onto the next line. Could we possibly change this through the txt file somehow?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, if you want the wrapper app thingy itself, go ahead. It's a Perl script, so you'll have to have some form of Perl installed on your system first (I use ActivePerl) but after that it's a simple command-line utility that wraps the whole text file to the specified number of characters per line while moving words to the next line if needed. I found it on GBAdev sometime, can't remember exactly where though. Just run the file through and rename the output file to end in *.txt again.

http://danthemanms.googlepages.com/WRAPPER.PL

(you can actually also use this script on the DS itself with the use of DSLinux and its implementation of miniperl, though you'll need slot-2 RAM or it will crash)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-