Improving a Mushy Original GBA d-pad

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by TheOligopolist, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TheOligopolist
    OP

TheOligopolist Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2017
    New Zealand
    Some of you may already know about this but I figured I'd post a quick overview of how to improve the feel and responsiveness with a small piece of thin card.

I bought an old busted up original Gameboy Advance. It was beat up pretty bad so I swapped it into one of those third party shells. During the swap I noticed the original d-pad membrane was torn so I had to use the third party one that came with the case. It felt pretty mushy and required a lot of force to get the up direction to register.

To improve things all we need to do is give the d-pad a little more height.

Open up your GBA until you get to this point:
    [​IMG]
    At this stage it's also a good time to give the contacts a clean with alcohol if they appear to be dirty.

Remove the d-pad, roughly cut out a piece of thin card into a circle (cereal box card works well). Punch a hole in the centre and sit it on the central spoke of the d-pad.
    [​IMG]

Trim up the card and increase the size of the hole in the centre so the d-pad membrane can fit properly into the d-pad.
    [​IMG]

Reassemble the GBA and see how it feels. You may need to experiment a bit with thinner or thicker card but you should notice an improvement right away. This really made it feel quite a bit more responsive in my case and it completely fixed the upwards directional input.
    As a side note you can use the same method on Xbox 360 controllers to drastically improve their d-pads as well.

Last edited by TheOligopolist, Apr 19, 2017
  2. JCR1

JCR1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2011
    Mexico
    improved my d pad with this method, thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice