Ktaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok so i just started playing rune factory and luminous arc personaly i think they're both good games. I usually prefer japanese voice voiceovers in games and if there's no option I just shut off voices in options. But it doesn't work in rune factory!? and i can't stand the horrible voice actors of the game i mean it's even worse than star ocean 3
wtf.gif
. so i was just wondering if there's a way to import voices from the japanese game like someone did with rouge galaxy for the PS2. (btw luminous arc had alright voices and even an option to turn them off)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it is possible and has been done for a fair few DS titles for exactly that reason.

Simple way that may not work: swap the sound files, in case you were unaware the DS ROMs tend to use a well documented file format so it is quite easy to find sub files. Furthermore 99% of sound files all the same format which is known as SDAT after the extension it has been given. You simply have to disassemble the rom file system and swap out the sound file before rebuilding.
Search for megman on the following page:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=457
You might even be able to use a padded file and ndsts (this simply overwrites the old file as long as the new one is the same size) if the Japanese sound file is smaller (uncommon but not unheard of).

Some of the newer localisations have been done in such a way as to frustrate the above technique which means you have to hack the soundfile. This is the more complex technique.

The sound files as well as the DS roms have their own format, unfortunately there are no tools capable of rebuilding so you will have to get handy with a hex editor:
Spec of the format:
http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/sdat.html
Another page on it:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=...er=asc&start=60

Common things include: different order/numbering in the new sound file. Depending on how the game is written it can have no effect, play the wrong file, play the wrong file but end up with noise or even crash the game.

Once all the files are swapped over and the header fixed you can (re)insert it into the rom as above.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a sweet piece of info there, FAST6191. I'm saving this post in my favs, should I need to utilize that info later down the road. Thanks.

On a slightly different note, I actually enjoy the voices (English) for Rune Factory. I think I even recognize some of the actors from other games and anime.

Tenkaichi

Trophies
Website
www.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
I've tried my fair share of extracting the files from Luminous Arc, and it does have the same issue as the Megaman game in that post above - where the file size shrinks and (I think as a result) the rom doesn't work, at least for me (it trims down to around 115,000kb.)

The guy suggests looking for sound_data.sdat, but I can't find anything in the existing folders that looks like something I can get to that same effect... upon reading the other two links, I probably have to bust out the hex editor for this one, right? :heh:

Ktaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cool that there's a possability of it working ^^.......except that i was like
wtf.gif
when trying to understand how. anyho thanks for the info FAST6191
yaynds.gif

ok i tried replacing the sound_data.sdat from rune factory (U) with the one from rune factory (J) but the game ends up smaller after I repack it so is there someway to like....fill it up to it's original file size to make it work? ^^;

Tayki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
btw: replacing voices in Luminous Arc works just fine, just copy "strm", "strm_aft" and "strm_btl" from japanese rom into usa one. It's a loooot better to play with japanese voices
happy.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw: replacing voices in Luminous Arc works just fine, just copy "strm", "strm_aft" and "strm_btl" from japanese rom into usa one. It's a loooot better to play with japanese voices
happy.gif

How do you do that, though? The ROM appears on my computer as one file. So, how do you get into it to make alterations?

Thanks

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
happy.gif

How do you do that, though? The ROM appears on my computer as one file. So, how do you get into it to make alterations?

Thanks
I used DSlazy (google it) and loaded the rom and unpacked it. There, you should see a folder called DATA. Go in there and you should see all the folder you need to replace it. That said, does anyone know what rom number the Japanese Luminous Arc is?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used DSlazy (google it) and loaded the rom and unpacked it. There, you should see a folder called DATA. Go in there and you should see all the folder you need to replace it. That said, does anyone know what rom number the Japanese Luminous Arc is?

Thanks

BTW, I think the Japanese version is ROM #0846

Tayki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Is it possible to make a patch for undubbing the (U) version of Luminous Arc?
What for? You can easily do it yourself by using dslazy
happy.gif
Here is what you have to do:
1. Download dslazy from here - http://l33t.spod.org/ratx/DS/dslazy/dslazy.zip
2. Unpack It
3. Copy Japanese and USA roms in the folder where dslazy is.
4. With Dslasy Unpack Japanese rom.
5. Dslazy will create a folder called "NDS_UNPACK"...or something like this, I don't remember exact name
happy.gif

6. Rename this folder into something like "LA(J)" (name doesn't matter, just rename it)
7. Unpack USA rom (don't rename the folder)
8. copy "strm", "strm_aft" and "strm_btl" from the folder that contains Japanese rom into the folder with Japanese one.
9. In dslazy click "nds_packer"
10. Bingo! You can play Lumionous Arc with Japanese voice-acting!
happy.gif

I hope somebody will find this "guide" helpful...

monkeyboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did any one import the japanese dub of rune factory into the english one yet? And if any one did, may you explain how you did it?
I viewed the files in the rom and I don't know which one to replace.

Merumeru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XD undubbing luminous arc was easy

ive tried replacing the sound files in Rune Factory, but the game wont load when I do

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting, so no-one has had luck replacing the voices in rune factory with the dslazy unpack/repack method yet...?

I would try but i don't have the (J) rom i think yet.

Can anyone who has played both comment on whether the J voices are much better? Personally i havent found the english voice actor too bad yet, although they don't say much at all.

GTVu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Umm... The trick with this one is to use a hex editor and cut off some bytes off the (J) rom sound file since it's larger than the (U) sound file. After you do that you import the new (J) sound file using ndsts. Hopefully that made sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto