I'm looking for a cheap wireless PCI card

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by TrolleyDave, Dec 7, 2008.

Dec 7, 2008
  1. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I've just got a Xbox360 and have been using ICS to connect the xbox to the net. It works but it gives me a strict NAT type so I can't play against people on-line. I've read that setting the ethernet and wireless as a bridge will fix the problem. Whenever I try to bridge the connections though my wireless card loses access to the net. I've read all the guides and tried all the suggestions I can find (although I'm open to more!) and still no joy. Does anyone know of a good cheap PCI wireless card that will let me bridge connections?

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    I would of thought you would be better off getting a wireless router? You can pick them up for about the same price as a wireless PCI/USB card if you look around.

3. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've already got a wireless router. It's just that it's in a completely different room to the PC and 360 so I can't run a cable direct from the 360 to the router. The PC connects to the router via a wireless card and the 360 is in the same room which is why I want to route the 360 through the PC.

4. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  5. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Have you checked to make sure that your Windows firewall isn't blocking any of the data that is going and coming from the 360? The Windows firewall automatically goes up when you make an ICS. You probably just need to configure the port fowarding correctly. It's also possible that the router is blocking the ports.

I would simply get a USB rather than a PCI, unless your computer is ancient and runs USB 1.1.

6. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    I switched Windows firewall off just in case it was causing a problem and the ports are definitely open on the router. Will any USB wifi adapter allow me to make a bridged connection?

edit : Never mind, I switched to a new router and my problems are solved.