Hacking I'm aggravated at screen protectors...Solutions?

spardasieg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I bought a screen protector at gamestop for 7 dollars, was horrible, bought one from shoptemp, 2 dollar one, was even worse, now Its without a protector and I feel I cant play games, do these screens scratch or are they like iphones where its dumb to put on one?

I'm about to go crazy here...

Japhle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally how well a touch screen lasts is based on how it is treated. Usually touch screen wear won't be too much of a problem as long as you are not really hard on the thing and you don't play ouendan/EBA (From experience). If you do plan on playing touch screen heavy games you should probably get a good screen protector. One good screen protector is the genuine hori screen protectors. They should be abut $10, I've seen them at target, and I'm sure they are other stores. They are available online, however watch out for fakes (jlo mein). So if you do plan on playing a ton of touch screen heavy games, I recommend buying a good screen protector such as hori.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have Invisible Shield Screen protectors and have served me well for a long time. Hori is another brand you should think about buying. Both are high quality and I'd really recommend getting screen protectors for the sake of your DS.

//Qtis

ufotrash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, what makes for a crappy screen protector? I thought its just basically a layer of something over your screen, how can some be worse than others?

Anyway, I bought a busted up DS for parts the other day, and the touch screen was SO scratched up it was practically completely white in the middle with scratches...I couldn't even believe it, and was just a little annoyed I had to buy another bottom screen... so I put the thing down for a while. I went to inspect it later on cause I was suprised it was so messed up looking but its picture was still fine (no broken pixels, weird lines or whatever) and the touch was fine(no jumping etc), I then realized this thing had a screen protector on! So I peeled it off and lo and behold the screen beneath it was totally immaculate! It was like a miracle!

So my opinion is that protectors are definitely a wise investment if your DS sees a LOT of action. Don't expect them to last forever, like what I saw, they take all the damage instead of your actual screen. And they don't exactly break your wallet so you can always replace it easier than having to eventually get your DSL repaired and replacing your whole bottom screen you know?

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A crappy screen protector scratches, may have poor visibility, the stylus may not slide so well, etc.

Are you sure that you peeled off a screen protector? The touch part of a touchscreen is kind of like a screen protector (a thin transparent layer over the actual screen), you may have peeled this off.

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
I have ordered and tested maybe a half dozen or so $2 screen protectors all with a Hori logo and all I consider fake. Many of them I wasted trying to figure my own method of installing them w/o bubbles. The one that's on there now I'm happy with its clear and have had no issues. A alternative is to just scratch the screen and have a backup replacement touch screen at hand.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally use those invisible shield ones (not the famous invis-shields that go for 14 dollars). I used to hate screen protectors cause of the bubbles. Get one with a protective film you have to peel off after applying and smooth out the bubble using a credit card. Thats what I do.

It also just takes practice, I used to suck at screen protectors, now I can apply them with only getting like 2 bubbles, before I smooth them out. When I get it on, people can't even tell its there.

ufotrash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
logical thinker said:
A crappy screen protector scratches, may have poor visibility, the stylus may not slide so well, etc.

Are you sure that you peeled off a screen protector? The touch part of a touchscreen is kind of like a screen protector (a thin transparent layer over the actual screen), you may have peeled this off.

Haha no I know my way around the DS, I wouldn't peel off the touch part, and you couldn't just cleanly peel that off while the trim or border was on it.
And well, that I am currently using the DS and it touches A-OK. So I don't know what brand of screen protector the previous owner of that DS was, but it sure was a sturdy one.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no problem with the touch screen screen protector, just one small bubble in the corner. What I did for my psp and my top screen, was I Used a credit card. If you get dust in there, wash the protector with water, shake off excess water, wipe the screen, and put the screen protector on. with the credit card, squeeze out and air bubbles/ dust you might have, the water helps get it out, and make sure to dry it off with a microfiber cloth.

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Njrg said:
Scratch that. Turns out I'm not allowed to have an opinion according to LogiCat.
No, darling, it was just a misunderstanding. Your post was good and helpful.
smile.gif

Reposting Njrg's post:
QUOTEMake sure you peel "all" of the screen layers.
I bought a set at walmart. Not only did it have one layer that I needed to pull off, but I later found out there was a second layer.

And before you put on a screen protector, cleen the screen (Which is common knowledge), and thouroughly WASH YOUR HANDS. You're going to be mighty pissed if your greasy fingers makes a print or smudge on the sticky part of the protector.

My newest screen protector was the first one I installed without air bubbles. Am pleased even though I accidentally got DSi protectors for DSLite. -_-

zuron7

RBYG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
spardasieg said:
Is this legit? Also this will not have air bubbles?

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Pro...4568&sr=8-1
For attaching without air bubbles
For removing air bubbles
If you dont want air bubbles there is a way to put the screen protector.Use the the links above to remove air bubbles.
If you just apply it there will always be air bubbles.
Also if the size of the protector varies by a even a few millimeters it will have air bubbles.

Edit:Just wanted to tell you that my best experiences of screen protectors have been with official Nintendo one's or I take phone screen protectors and cut them with scissors to the size of the the DS's touch screens.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's a solution, man up and just play on it. The stylus and screen are created to be used together. I've had my Lite for years and played pleanty of touch-heavy games without scratching it. As long as you keep it clean (ie dont leave it kicking around in your bag with no case where bits of grit can get on the screen ready to be pushed around by the stylus next time you play) and you don't apply a load more pressure than you need to play you'll be fine.

spardasieg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zuron7 said:
spardasieg said:
Is this legit? Also this will not have air bubbles?

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Pro...4568&sr=8-1
For attaching without air bubbles
For removing air bubbles
If you dont want air bubbles there is a way to put the screen protector.Use the the links above to remove air bubbles.
If you just apply it there will always be air bubbles.
Also if the size of the protector varies by a even a few millimeters it will have air bubbles.

Edit:Just wanted to tell you that my best experiences of screen protectors have been with official Nintendo one's or I take phone screen protectors and cut them with scissors to the size of the the DS's touch screens.

Thanks, Hori are the official ones aren't they...I will order one.

GBAtemp29

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A new touch screen is only about $15. I figure I'll just play directly on mine and just replace it later if I think it's needed.

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a screen protector.

When a friend and I purchased DSLs together, he got a screen protector and I passed on the extra expense.
A year later you could really see the difference in the two screens. Mine had some hazy diffused spots on it where his looked good as new with a good screen saver.
I was able to polish out my screen with car polish and now sport a screen protector on mine.
Those screen protectors really are a necessary accessory if you are going to be reallly using your touch screen regularly.

On a side note, one drop of car polish rubbed into a screen saver keeps it sllick and easy to slide the stylus upon.

Replacement touch screens do not seem as responsive as the OEM variety.

Just my thoughts on the subject....

D

Deleted-236924

BlueStar said:
Here's a solution, man up and just play on it. The stylus and screen are created to be used together. I've had my Lite for years and played pleanty of touch-heavy games without scratching it. As long as you keep it clean (ie dont leave it kicking around in your bag with no case where bits of grit can get on the screen ready to be pushed around by the stylus next time you play) and you don't apply a load more pressure than you need to play you'll be fine.
This.

My friend has got his DS for around one year and a half.
I've had mine for three years and a half.

He got a screen protector on his touch screen.
I have no screen protector on my touch screen.

He didn't even finish any of the Pokémon Ranger once. Currently playing through TWEWY.
I've finished the first Pokémon Ranger about 5 times and the second one twice. Finished TWEWY.

His DS has both sides of the hinge cracked and the screen protector is damaged to the point AKAIO looks bad.
My DS has no cracked hinge, the touch screen doesn't have anything on it and AKAIO looks nice on it.

spardasieg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
His DS has both sides of the hinge cracked and the screen protector is damaged to the point AKAIO looks bad.
My DS has no cracked hinge, the touch screen doesn't have anything on it and AKAIO looks nice on it.

No offense but this post makes little sense, How does a screen protector have anything to do with hinges, also maybe he is rougher with his screen, He can replace the protector right...?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse