Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kwartel said:
When it would be illigal to have on your PC, then it's also illigal to have on your Wii. So...
...are you saying it's illegal for Nintendo to download their own software? No. It's their copyrighted code, they can do what they want with it.

It's legal for you to download the software from their website, it's illegal for you to share it. You can share (original) links to the files, but it's illegal for you to share the file with other people.

Nintendo's EULA is not the law. It's just an agreement with Nintendo. You can't go to jail for breaking Nintendo's EULA.
Think of the EULA as telling your friend asking you to do him an important favor. You could just blow off the favor, but then he wouldn't like you.

Nintendo's EULA covers things like using homebrew. The law covers things like using homebrew to pirate.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
giantpune said:
it is illegal to share IOSes. they are nintendo's/broadon's code. yes, they're on nintendo's update servers. but that does not mean that anybody is free to download it from there and pass it around. it is still their property. and they actually never meant for people to be able to download and view the contents of IOSes. It is just by programs pretending to be a wii that we are able to get stuff from the server.

Try system menu tmd in your browser:
http://nus.cdn.shop.wii.com/ccs/download/0...00100000002/tmd

I didn't tell my firefox to pretend to be a Wii, but i can download from the server without any problems. As long as nintendo keeps the access to the server this way, nobody can tell that downloading from there for OWN use is illegal.
How exactly would you access the *.app files?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why hasn't anyone mentioned that the files on NUS are encrypted? To turn them into anything useful they have to be decrypted with a process that uses the common key - try and explain how that isn't violating the DMCA.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
How exactly would you access the *.app files?
Like this. To get content with cid 0x7b: http://nus.cdn.shop.wii.com/ccs/download/0...000002/0000007b

You need to decrypt them though with the common key. I'm sure someone else on here can explain how, since I can't (I use NUSD, it has a decrypt option)

QUOTEtry and explain how that isn't violating the DMCA.
A lot of people on this board don't live in the USA, so the DMCA is a moot point for many.

Also, Nintendo gave us the key. It's in the wii. TT just figured out how to extract it. Even if we didn't have the key, we could just do the decrypt on the wii, since IOS knows it. (No, this explanation probably won't stand in a court of law!).

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Arm the Homeless said:
What's so illegal about the common key? ebe42a225e8593e448d9c5457381aaf7. ebe42a225e8593e448d9c5457381aaf7. ebe42a225e8593e448d9c5457381aaf7. I said it. I said it three times. It's just a string of text.
Qu1ckz! Try it w1th teh DSi!
smileipb2.png

I couldn't help it.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The laws of your country/state are where the issue lies. The nintendo eula is baloney. Its to cover their own ass in case you create a mod (aka like cIOS) and decide that you will not share it and then an update breaks your wii because you modded the software. Nintendo will be held liable because you "read" the eula, in the event they damage your console and can prove you modded it.

copyrights are of course where this discussion should end up. that is what makes wads and such illegal. when you create a "legal" wad, this contains no code that can be copyrighted. its like writing a book. you cannot take someone elses chapter and call it your own. but you can use every letter the original chapter has as long as you arrange it in your own way and create your own chapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==