idea: Pokemon battles through augmented reality

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by duffmmann, Sep 29, 2010.

Sep 29, 2010
  1. duffmmann
    OP

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    So I was thinking, it would be awesome, if they started selling special pokemon cards that have a code on them. Then when you view the code with the camera through an augmented reality game, a pokeball would pop up. On the screen you'd hit the button, and a pokemon would pop out. And if you have 2 or more, you can have them battle each other, that would be so badass.

2. admotonic

Member admotonic GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    That would be pretty cool but I don't think anyting like that would come out. I don't really have a reason for it not to come out at this stage but I just have a feeling. But who knows?

3. thebigboss14

Member thebigboss14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sounds cool but for now it won't be real maybe around 2012 or beyond because they are working in other stuff. It would be awesome if you could be awesome if you could transfer the Pokemos from your card to you game too and like have an special board where you could do lots of stuff with them. There are many possibilities but a few opportunities so let's just wait what the future holds for us.

4. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Would never catch on in the West, the AR function is more popular with Japanese audiences.

5. duffmmann
    OP

United States

I disagree, I think with AR implemented right into the device it has a much greater chance of catching on, as opposed to say the e-reader where if you thought you might want to get into that kind of thing you had to buy it seperately, and even though it never really caught on, it had a lot of features, so considering this has a better chance of catching on I think there will be even more features.

6. Zarxrax

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wtf? How can you say it's more popular with the Japanese when it hasn't even been released yet?

7. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    There has been some augmented reality stuff before, and it never got popular here.

8. duffmmann
    OP

United States
    not true, it just needs the right gimmick and the right audience. Shortly after blink-182 reunited, they did an augmented reality thing for doritos where if you had a bag with the code on it and held it to a camera connected to your pc, a concert of them performing two songs would pop up. Amongst the blink fanbase this was pretty big and pretty awesome, I would know considering I'm a huge fan and frequent blink message boards often. You just need an audience, and pokemon definitely has an audience, and what do you bet that a large portion of the pokemon fanbase will purchase a 3DS?

9. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Not just a gimmick, but a consistent one. If they were to do some update every 2 weeks or something using it, it would at least get people into the cycle of seeing something happen with it on a regular basis, so when a big title uses it, they'll already be familiar with it.

10. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    That sounds epic.
    If they do this i'm gonna buy heaps of cards.
    It'll look like pokemon are battling on your Table.

11. IchigoK2031

Member IchigoK2031 Wannabe Shirow Miwa...

United States
    The concept is already here, there's an AR defense game on the iPhone(just as an example) that uses a piece of paper, the app recognizes it through the camera, and creates a tower where the paper is. The game is based around said tower.

12. geenlung

geenlung Newbie

I'm guessing that if it is implemented for Pokemon, they would just give you a rare Pokemon of some sort (maybe with some fancy 5s CG movie), like those given at movie promotions or Nintendo events. The post-game add-ons for the main Pokemon games have never been too elaborate.

13. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    God that sounds neat. TD games are one of my niches, and if I had a iDevice with a camera I would get that.

14. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    What game is it? Sounds interesting...

15. cocomonk22

Member cocomonk22 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Already been done:

This concept from CES 2009 just uses normal Pokémon cards, all the information about the Pokémon model and abilities are stored in the software.

16. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I could see this being big in Japan, and possibly starting off well in the West and failing within a year. But this does sound awesome!
    Just watched the video and it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. LapisLazuli

Member LapisLazuli Thrills, chills, kills!

United States
    I think this is actually pretty possible seeing that little card in the trailer.

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Sorry, but this is just a bad idea. I already have to spend (if I legally buy) $35 for a Pokemon game on the DS. But some people want to spend $70 for both games in that collection (like Black and White, Red and Blue, etc). Plus you'll have to buy slightly older games to get all the Pokemon, not to mention drive out to miscellaneous Pokemon events just to get one Pokemon. You also need two DS's as well. Buying lame trading cards and scanning them for getting a Pokemon sounds like an idea that would've been presented in the series of fad games that Pokemon had in the 90's. It's just another lame way to get people to spend more money on Pokemon.

19. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    That looks awesome. I'm sure the demonstration wasn't realtime. It just didn't seem like it was. It was like it acted on queue with the demonstrator pressing a button or something, without any lag or anything.

I have a shitload of Pokemon cards still, so that would be awesome to test out if it gets released.

20. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    I thought something like this had already been done with the GBA's eReader, or was that something ele entirely?