Idea for new Wii exploits?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by XICO2KX, Dec 3, 2010.

Dec 3, 2010

Idea for new Wii exploits? by XICO2KX at 6:05 AM (2,469 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. XICO2KX
    OP

Member XICO2KX GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Hello! [​IMG]
    I was reading something about the Photo Channel on Wikipedia, and it says that it can read the following formats: [​IMG]
    JPEG, JPG, MOV, AVI, MP3, AAC, M4A
    And it also mentions that the current version v1.1 was last updated on December 10, 2007... [​IMG]
    So, in theory, all the vulnerabilities discovered for those file formats since then should still be unfixed! [​IMG]
    Here's just a few examples: [​IMG] I know that all these exploits are application/platform/implementation dependent... [​IMG]
    But who knows, maybe the programmers at Nintendo made similar mistakes! [​IMG]
    Has anyone tried testing something like this yet? [​IMG]

2. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    No, Windows exploits don't work on the Wii.

3. bjorno

Member bjorno GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Lol. This reminds me 'like' the PSP. Getting it into HEN mode by using TIFF exploits. Well maybe its possible to play some kind of video, or some kind of photos
    to make the wii crash and start the exploit. Not sure though if its possible.

4. steveo1978

Member steveo1978 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah its possible that it might be possible. Like bjorno said they did something like that on the psp.

5. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    It is a good idea, but the problem is that they are OS and software dependent. But yes, maybe Nintendo have some error there.

Hmm... you guys know viruses can be embedded in jpeg files etc. I wonder if its possible to implent Hackmii installer in one too.

6. XICO2KX
    OP

Portugal
    You mean something like this? [​IMG]

7. bjorno

Member bjorno GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    yup. That is the ChickHen exploit. You go to photos and the photos will crash your psp and reboot it in HEN mode.

8. XICO2KX
    OP

Portugal
    Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills or knowledge to do this... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But is someone willing to give this a try? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The formats it supports are well established and therefore more stable formats. Depending on whether they used open libraries or not will affect how easy it is to find exploits (Sony used an open TIFF library, and that's how there have been 2 or 3 TIFF exploits for the PSP AFAIK). TIFF is generally a fairly unstable and uncommon format, never actually seen an TIFF images that WEREN'T exploits, but JPEG (and JPG is JPEG) is more common and therefore most libraries to handle it are more developed and hence more stable.

10. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    TIFF is still pretty common for some scanners and parts of the printing industry. Then there's fax. Kinda sad really, but it's easier (cheaper) to implement than PS or PDF, and more reliable across interpretations.

11. XICO2KX
    OP

Portugal
    You're right, sorry! I should have written "can read the following file extensions" instead of "formats"! [​IMG]

Anyway, I wonder if the Bannerbomb exploit was based on a Heap Overflow similar to this one! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. steveo1978

United States
    I kinda wonder if it could possible done by sending an email to the wii.

13. XICO2KX
    OP

Portugal
    Yes, nice idea! [​IMG]
    Or even by transferring "infected" Miis on a Wii Remote from a hacked console to an un-hacked one!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. steveo1978

United States
    the email thing probably never gonna happen. Just sent an email to my wii since I had not done it in a while and it was pretty basic not sure if it can get pics or anything else other then just words.

The Mii thing is kinda funny though get one that looks like a little gremlin that launches an exploit.

15. XICO2KX
    OP

Portugal
    lol [​IMG] That would be awesome!!! [​IMG]

16. FragAguy

Member FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    You can actually import mii's to your pc. All mii data is actually XML data. So it could be possible to find an exploit I think.

Edit: I mixed some things up, so I was mistaken with what I said. My comment is incorrect so don't quote me. Sorry for that.

17. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
  18. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile