Hacking Idea for hacking virgin 4.3 sysmenu

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know quite a lot about wii modding, so i know what I'm talking about, I'm no coder however, so correct me if I'm wrong.

If the SNEEK developers continue in such a way that you can choose whether to write to the real nand or to the sd/usb nand, isn't it possible to use a modded SNEEK nand to mod the original nand on the nand chip? I read in the 4.3 thread that the coders of the hackmii installer have a stack of unused exploits that can make the installer work again, so can't an bootmii install in either cboot2 or ios not be used for this purpose?

EDIT: Or a mod on SNEEK can be made which boots the wii and uses an modded ios on the sd/usb nand to install a modded ios on the system, without any user interaction

These are just ideas, maybe someone can think of an easier way, looking at this idea....just sharing here....

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
bootmii install in either cboot2 or ios not be used for this purpose?
I think you mean boot2.

Anyway, once the new hackmii installer comes out, you'll be able to use bootmii with the cboot2 loader and DOP-Mii to install the buggy IOS36 you need for everything else.

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
QUOTE said:
bootmii install in either cboot2 or ios not be used for this purpose?
Once the new hackmii installer comes out, you'll be able to use bootmii with the cboot2 loader and DOP-Mii to install the buggy IOS36 you need for everything else.

Wasn't the bug used to downgrade ios36 fixed? I thought that it was said on wiibrew:
ES_AddTitleFinish now checks the signature (Trucha Bug Restorer and similar won't work anymore)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uh, you clearly don't really know what you're talking about. For a start, BootMii is never installed in "cboot2". Its just "boot2". Also, if BootMii can be installed, why would you need to use SNEEK to modify NAND (which completely defeats the purpose of it, and is silly, but I'll get to that in a moment)? Just use cBoot2.

And your idea of SNEEK writing to NAND instead of SD is ridiculous. The whole point of SNEEK is to redirect ALL NAND calls to SD. If it wrote to NAND, it'd been pointless.

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Uh, you clearly don't really know what you're talking about. For a start, BootMii is never installed in "cboot2". Its just "boot2". Also, if BootMii can be installed, why would you need to use SNEEK to modify NAND (which completely defeats the purpose of it, and is silly, but I'll get to that in a moment)? Just use cBoot2.

And your idea of SNEEK writing to NAND instead of SD is ridiculous. The whole point of SNEEK is to redirect ALL NAND calls to SD. If it wrote to NAND, it'd been pointless.

Sorry for the typo, I mean boot2 instead of cboot2, and why would that defeat the purpose? Bootmii doesn't require an altered ios, and there is no way to get a a modded ios on a virgin 4.3 sysmenu, am I correct?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe someone can code sneek so when it downloads updates, it can download and install all of the non important stubs to the SD card and what is actually useful (ios 58 and such) to the real nand? That way all of the crud can be discarded. It would probably have to be hardcoded into the program to do this and require an update to sneek for every system update unless the coders of sneek can write an algorithm to detect what actually needs to be downloaded vs stubs and such.

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Maybe someone can code sneek so when it downloads updates, it can download and install all of the non important stubs to the SD card and what is actually useful (ios 58 and such) to the real nand? That way all of the crud can be discarded. It would probably have to be hardcoded into the program to do this and require an update to sneek for every system update unless the coders of sneek can write an algorithm to detect what actually needs to be downloaded vs stubs and such.

Or you just use a modded ios from the sd/usb nand to write to the real nand, and thereby enabling homebrew etc.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Or you just use a modded ios from the sd/usb nand to write to the real nand, and thereby enabling homebrew etc.
This is basically what cboot2 does, except it only needs some components from an unpacked IOS36 v1042 and an unpacked boot2 wad, not an entire NAND dump.

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
QUOTE said:
This is basically what cboot2 does, except it only needs some components from an unpacked IOS36 v1042 and an unpacked boot2 wad, not an entire NAND dump.

Does bootmii have an option to install/downgrade ios36? Never really looked into bootmii only used it to backup my nand so...

If so...mods please close this thread it's useless

nknave

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually what we should be expecting is the following:

- hackmii_installer_v0.7 (4.3 SM Compatible)
- ability to install BootMii to at least IOS 256
- use cBoot2 to load using BootMii
- run patched WAD Manager to remove stubbed IOS249/250 and install cIOS249 and 250 from wad ripped with BlueAlpha* (can't remember the name of this app)
- hackmii_installer_v0.7 should be able to install HBC again and we may launch *.dol files etc.
- using PriiLoader or Some Menu Patcher to block all anti-homebrew syscalls from Nintendo.
- Keep enjoying homebrew on your Wii

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nknave said:

- hackmii_installer_v0.7 (4.3 SM Compatible)
- use cBoot2 to load using BootMii
- run patched WAD Manager to remove stubbed IOS249/250 and install cIOS249 and 250 from wad ripped with BlueAlpha* (can't remember the name of this app)
- hackmii_installer_v0.7 should be able to install HBC again and we may launch *.dol files etc.
- using PriiLoader or Some Menu Patcher to block all anti-homebrew syscalls from Nintendo.
- Keep enjoying homebrew on your Wii

There only are 255 IOS slots.

Anyway, there is no reason it can't be installed to IOS254 again FYI. Just cause they stubbed it means nothing. TT just need to bump up the version number and overwrite the stub.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
nknave said:

There only are 255 IOS slots.
I think technically there are 256 slots (0x0 through 0xFF) but the highest number for a slot would be 255.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
here is an idea;

randomly install an IOS between 200-250, when a tool wants to use a special IOS it does ES_GetTitles() and just looks for one between 200-250.
So far nintendo's solution was to stub unofficial IOSs, they won't stub 50 IOS slots!

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Gokiller said:
If the SNEEK developers continue in such a way that you can choose whether to write to the real nand or to the sd/usb nand, isn't it possible to use a modded SNEEK nand to mod the original nand on the nand chip?
Nope.

Gokiller said:
so can't an bootmii install in either cboot2 or ios not be used for this purpose?
Nope.

QUOTE(Gokiller @ Jun 23 2010, 05:25 PM)
EDIT: Or a mod on SNEEK can be made which boots the wii and uses an modded ios on the sd/usb nand to install a modded ios on the system, without any user interaction
Nope.

SNEEK does not touch your NAND. In order for it to even know there was a real NAND would break it.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SanGor said:
So far nintendo's solution was to stub unofficial IOSs, they won't stub 50 IOS slots!
I can see them doing that. Stubs don't take much space because most contain one content (which is shared), so adding 50 stub IOSes would take like 2 blocks (hypothetical space for tickets and TMDs).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: