[Idea] 3DBooks

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Jacklack3, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Jacklack3
    OP

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    In your basement Dick Size: 5 meters.
    So i was wondering if you can make this app that you put these .3db (3dbook) files in a folder and the 3ds shows them. There could maybe even be a book maker/editor! The app would show a bookshelf. Then there would be a folder tab on the top left! You click that and it shows the root of the SD card folders! (This means you would put your books in a folder in the root of your SD card! Lets say i had a random book in a folder! The default folder to have is Books. I can see the random books cover on the bookshelf. I click on it and it shows the description. I can click back or read. I click read and see text. Once im done a page i click a arrow! You know what i saying. Anyways. To make these...i leave that up to you. Anyways, hope you like my idea!

2. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    What are .3db files? Google says it is used by a tool called 3DMark, which has nothing to do with books.

3. Jacklack3
    OP

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    Oh, I just made it up. Maybe 3DBk? Sorry. :D

4. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    Nah, I was just wondering.
    Also, someone is(was?) working on a visual novel interpreter, which is kind of what you are requesting.

5. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    How about .epub or .pdf? Cause what you're asking for doesn't sound like what you want.

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    I would imagine reading ebooks would be one of the easier homebrew to create. Not sure how it would look on the 3ds though. Kinda low resolution, so it would have to be zoomed in a bit. Lower screen would probably be useless. Also, I'd call it 3DSBooks, 3DBooks sounds like there's actually 3D involved. Unless of course you're interested in reading one page per eye, lolz.

7. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    An eBook reader for the 3DS would be awesome!

8. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    There was some talk about this in another thread, what if you could save each page as a .png and scroll through them? Like a glorified image viewer.
    Like this

9. Jacklack3
    OP

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    That would be great! Because then you could have pictures in your book and well read comics!

EDIT : Can you give the what size the picture must be? Im using sunshell to view the pictures.

Last edited by Jacklack3, Oct 9, 2015
  10. MetroidJunkie200

MetroidJunkie200 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2008
    United States
    Maybe it'll make the text stick out more and make it a bit easier to read. :P

11. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    For the top screen 400x240 and 320x240 for the bottom screen.

12. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    There were several decent e-book readers for the NDS - I can't remember which one I used to use, but it was responsible for my reading habit transitioning almost completely from print to digital (mainly on my Nexus7 these days, but I've also got a generic/no-brand e-ink reader that still gets occassional use too).

13. Stecker8

Stecker8 Plug

Oct 9, 2015
    Here
    Deboog likes this.
  14. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
  15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It actually shouldn't be too difficult and I don't think you'd need a specific file format to get it done, just create a text rendering engine that'd read .epub's. The pages could very easily be 320x240 (so that the size is the same on both screens) while the top and bottom of the longer screen (when holding the 3DS like a book) could be used for various infos such as the page number, percentage of completion, remaining battery life etc.

The .epub specification is public, you can see how the files are structured and read them into strings with relative ease:
    http://www.idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-overview.html

However if you want to make a simpler proprietary format, it should be easy enough to create, just make a structure for pages, like this:
    Code:
    struct PageStruct{
       char PageNum;
       bool PageType; //0 for text, 1 for pictures
       wchar_t String [1200]; //40 lines of 30 characters each, 8x8pix font, fits a 320x240 box. If you want some space between lines, just account for that and lower the number of lines as needed.
       int Picture [76800]; //Array of integers (32-bit) for 320x240 bitmap or other graphic container of your choosing
    };
    ...and then use that template to build an array of pages, like this:
    Code:
    PageStruct Page[YourNumberOfPages];
    Bam, you've got a super-simplistic format ready! Now you'll just need a converter that'll put text into it, or you can do it manually, I guess.

16. Stecker8

Stecker8 Plug

Oct 9, 2015
    Here
    There is a bat to compile

17. Jacklack3
    OP

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    Its not working.'n'