Hacking I'd like to request a simple custom firmware patch (that doesn't exist yet)

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Background: I often connect my 3DS to a Wi-Fi network that doesn't have internet access. It's a local area network only - unless the internet is on. The thing is, the 3DS constantly tests the connection for internet access, and when it doesn't find it it resets the connection and starts over. It will stay connected for about 2 seconds, which isn't enough time to do Wi-Fi file transfers.

Request: I was wondering if someone could patch the firmware so that instead of looking for an internet connection, the system accepts a local area network connection as a network connection. I expect that inclusion in Luma is ambitious, but maybe a .CIA could patch this. I also appreciate that this is probably pretty niche, but I know people sometimes people take on projects for fun or to learn.

Thanks

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Background: I often connect my 3DS to a Wi-Fi network that doesn't have internet access. It's a local area network only - unless the internet is on. The thing is, the 3DS constantly tests the connection for internet access, and when it doesn't find it it resets the connection and starts over. It will stay connected for about 2 seconds, which isn't enough time to do Wi-Fi file transfers.

Request: I was wondering if someone could patch the firmware so that instead of looking for an internet connection, the system accepts a local area network connection as a network connection. I expect that inclusion in Luma is ambitious, but maybe a .CIA could patch this. I also appreciate that this is probably pretty niche, but I know people sometimes people take on projects for fun or to learn.

Thanks
That option/requirement already exists (is implemented) on latest Luma versions (starting from v10.1), indeed.

Just update your Luma CFW to the latest version (in case you have it outdated), then enter to Rosalina Menu (pressing L+Down+Select on HOME Menu), choose System configuration > Control Wireless conection, and finally choose the WiFi slot that corresponds to your local network (WiFi connection must be activated on your console), and exit.

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That option/requirement already exists (is implemented) on latest Luma versions (starting from v10.1), indeed.

Thanks, that worked!

Only thing is, if I use the Nintendo Wi-Fi SD card tool to transfer some files, the whole system crashes when exiting the tool, and it won't boot again (not even into open_agb_firm) until I boot an older Luma. Once I do that I can boot 10.2 again.

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Only thing is, if I use the Nintendo Wi-Fi SD card tool to transfer some files, the whole system crashes when exiting the tool, and it won't boot again (not even into open_agb_firm) until I boot an older Luma. Once I do that I can boot 10.2 again.
That's weird. I'll check that later

Edit: Well, apparently your problem is associated to this, after all

Last edited by fmkid,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is, the 3DS constantly tests the connection for internet access, and when it doesn't find it it resets the connection and starts over.
I don't know the precise nature of this test offhand, but presumably it tries to access Google.com or nintendo.com or some other such site, right?

So, in that case, all you need to do is reconfigure your router to direct such requests to a device on your local network. It should be easy enough – easier than writing a custom firmware patch, certainly.

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know the precise nature of this test offhand, but presumably it tries to access Google.com or nintendo.com or some other such site, right?

That's a good idea. It turns out the feature I wanted is available and working in Luma now - it's just hidden away and has to be re-enabled after every reboot. I think your solution sounds good - although I do not know how to implement it. My router is running DD-WRT so I expect it can be done on the router itself.

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Is that an assumption or did you recreate the scenario and find no issue on yours? It's not clear from your text.
Ok. I try to reproduce the situation and you're absolutely right:

An exception ocurred
Processor: ARM11 (core 0)
Exception type: prefetch abort
Fault status: Debug event
Current process: menu (00040030000080F02)
It (specifically) has nothing to see with EmuNand using, after all. Perharps is an specific error from Luma CFW.

I will try to test a different (old) Luma version to see if still happens

Edit: It seems to be a Nintendo system issue, not related to Luma (according to what was said here):

https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/issues/952

Edit 2: Unabling the "ARM11 exception handlers" option (on Luma's config menu) avoids that behaviour (black error screen and mandatory shutdown to reboot) and, in change, only an original system error message (on a window) is showed.

And yes, I know that unabling that option is not recommended by a lot of tempers, but is just to test in that case

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Here we go