I want to make...

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to make a somewhat plain, text-only sig, but I'm not really familiar with programs like GIMP and Windows Paint. I've been using both programs for quite a while. The one that I found that was the easiest to use was Windows Paint. I want to move on with a program that has more features like GIMP, for example. I've searched for tutorials on how to make sigs and do all of those fancy image editing stuff but to no avail.

Such a simple text-only sig can be like this:
149072_1658486431968_1531350431_31601922_3993477_n.jpg

I found that picture on Raymond's Photo Gallery (a friend of mine, and, yes, I know, what a coincidence) and thought that it was interesting.

I messed around with the Layers on GIMP, but I couldn't figure it out.

It would be extremely appreciated if someone directed me to a tutorial specifically associated with GIMP Sig-Making without using the "Render Logo or Button" option.

(I found a tutorial that was on GIMP's website, but it did not help that much because it was an old tutorial).

Help is appreciated!
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Make text.
2 - Make new layer.
3 - Make a gradient on the new layer. Yes, the text will appear to vanish because it's hidden behind this new layer.
4 - In the layer box you'll see Mode: Normal. Click it, and select "screen".

Congrats, you now have gradient-overlayed text. Make various text and try with various things overtop of it and various blending modes other than "screen" for various effects.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Paint.NET:
1. Make dem textz... be sure to disable anti aliasing on the text!
2. Select magic wand tool, set the flood mode to global, tolerance to 0.
3. Click outside the text.
4. New layer, make sure the new one is selected.
5. Now, press Ctrl+I to invert the selection.
6. Make a gradient over the text with the gradient tool. Hold Shift and drag down to make a perfectly horizontal or vertical gradient.
7. Press Enter to deselect the selected text.
8. ????
9. PROFIT!!!

PNG.png

You can give cookies whenever you feel like.
biggrin.gif

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
smile.gif
As always, the helpful Rydian.

I did the GIMP method just yesterday and was kind of off track. I didn't save the image for you guys to see, but I'll try all methods posted tomorrow, as I do not have time to do this today.

hakusa said:
Just in case you need it, you can go to dafont to search for a font that's suitable for your sig.
smile.gif

That's great! I need that too, just in case I plan to learn how to make sigs without any disruptions.

EDIT: Also, when making a new layer, what do I set it to? There are 4 options: Transparency, White, Background Color, and Foreground Color. Which type of layers should I use?

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the Paint .NET method and this is what I got:

ray.jpg

I messed up on it somehow. Am I supposed to make the new layer only visible, or do I have to make both layers visible?

hakusa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
I am r4ymond said:
That's great! I need that too, just in case I plan to learn how to make sigs without any disruptions.

EDIT: Also, when making a new layer, what do I set it to? There are 4 options: Transparency, White, Background Color, and Foreground Color. Which type of layers should I use?
biggrin.gif

Yes, I agree too that you should set it to "Transparency." Your sig will then be more flexible to use on other sites, and it'll look nicer too. (Unless that particular site's colour doesn't match your sig colour)

Another way which you can have a transparent background using GIMP is to add a new transparent layer and delete the background layer. Not sure whether this is the long way or whether it's easier to understand, but that's another way to do it.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock