Hardware I think my SD card is corrupted

spiritofcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a cheap USB SD card reader yesterday in preparation for getting my 3DS today.
After taking some photos with my 3DS I wanted to have a look at the contents of the SD card with my computer.
On my linux machine I plugged the USB card reader in with the SD car in it and the OS didn't even recognise that it was there.
On my windows machine I did the same and it found it, but said it needed to be formatted before it could be read.
I decided not to format it just yet.
At this point I put the SD card back in the 3DS and checked that the photos were still there, they were.
I copied the photos to the internal memory of the 3DS so I wouldn't lose them when I formatted.
Put the card back in the USB reader on my windows machine and told it to format.
At the end of the formatting process it said that the format had failed.
Tried clicking on the drive again and got the same "needs to be formatted" message as before.
Tried formatting again and again it failed.
Put the SD card back in the 3DS and now when I open the camera app it says "The device inserted in the SD Card slot cannotbe used. (OK)"
If I go into Settings, Data Management, 3DS, Extra Data, it shjows SD card with 0 open blocks.

Is there a way to format the SD card through the 3DS like the PSP can do for its Memory Stick?

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
I think that depends on the flashcard. I know with the Supercard DSTWO I had to customize the theme's and tweak some things again but everything else was the same.

spiritofcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ZeroDeception said:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d...ormatter20.html (Use to format)

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/...terfeit-drives/ (Use to Test)

Check the lock slider on the card reader If It's an SD non USB type.
Thanks for the links!
I tried the formatting program and it seemed to do its job, but afterwards the computer still refused to read the SD card.
The second program couldn't acces the card either.
I'm pretty sure it must be a problem with the reader. I'll take it back to the shop and see if they can exchange it or something.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
ZeroDeception said:
I think that depends on the flashcard. I know with the Supercard DSTWO I had to customize the theme's and tweak some things again but everything else was the same.

I'm sorry but i meant my SD card, you know, on the side of the 3DS, not a flashcard (i don't have a DSi type flashcard)

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
@ Altorn; Oh in that case yes you just transfer It over and all is well and the same. For some reason I had flashcard stuck in my head at the time and not SD card.
wacko.gif

@ spiritofcat; Yeah after you said those programs didn't work I knew It was the adapter that was defective but since you said you where gonna exchange It I didn't reply.

Glad to hear you are back on track with room to spare
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.