mikebarker00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all, just to let everyone know I am a total newbie when it comes to Wii hacking but managed to pick up a cheap Wii a few days ago and thought I'd give it a go anyway I think I have made my Wii beyond repair.

Ok so I read a simple guide on installing the home brew channel and soft modding it which I did with no problems and setup my external hard drive and stuffed it full of games and everything was looking great. Then I found out you could install old N64 games in wad format and been a huge Zelda fan I could not resist, I downloaded both 64 versions and Zelda and installed them all ok and then I tried to play Majoras Mask and had sound issues so I searched the net and someone said I need to use dop-ios and install iso53 (I think it was) which I did and then the problems start... after this the Wii rebooted and now any time I try and launch a channel my Wii just reboots and if I insert an original game I just get a blank screen.

I did some more research and some guy told me to update my Wii and format it and everything will be fine which I did (huge error I know) and now I am stuck with the same problem. again I so some more reseach I find this page http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=206684 which tells me my problems was the result of a bug in the software but now I am stuck here as I am now using 4.3e and I cant run a game to do the 4.3 exploit to reinstall the homebrew channel to run the new version of dop-iso and fix my problem.....

So I am wondering is there anything at all I can do?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
You're going to probably have to try a bunch of different games. It almost sounds like you got a corrupted IOS for whatever game you're trying to launch... but that may not be the problem.

Different games use different IOS's to launch, many games will use the same IOS. Try a bunch of game and see if you can even get one to launch, and if so report back to us which game it was.

Other than that, I don't have much advice at this moment. Hopefully you can get something to launch.

BTW, did you install priiloader? If so then that can be helpful. If you don't know if you got priiloader installed then turn off your wii, then press the power button to turn it on and then immediately press and hold the reset button. If priiloader is installed then you will see a menu pop up and it wont go straight to the System Menu

mikebarker00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, I just tired all 7 games I have all with the same results, I pop it in the Wii and loads up and even tells me what game it is on the channel but when I try and start it they all get a blank screen, I even tried an old Gamecube game I had with the the same result.

I also checked it see if I have priiloader and the Wii just loaded up like normal so I am guessing not.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever make a NAND backup with bootmii?

Whoever you bought it from probably really screwed with the thing. By what you have told us, it does not sound like it was anything that you did, although I did not read anything in that link that you posted.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Run dopmii v12 and do a syscheck, then your problem is fixed. You need to bannerbomb dopmii. To bad you updated to 4.3, only NAND programming can fix without boot2 bootmii

One other thing, if you used modmii or my softmod guide or installed darkcorp, you could still have a patched ios80 installed on the wii. If you did have a patched ios80 you could downgrade the wii to 3.2 via disc update, then fix your dop-ios brick and softmod the wii again. That would be nice if you had the patched ios80, but you would only have it from modmii's extra brick protection, my guide or a similar one, or darkcorp. If you had a patched ios you would need a modchip, but if you did my guide or darkcorp you would have dip patch so no modchip needed. If you think you have this I can point you to a disc that will install 3.2 via disc update, disc update is the only thing that works from the sm with the dop-ios brick.

Also worth a try, but it probably won't work. Turn on the wii to the wii menu, press the home button and reload the sm, see if anything works. That has worked once or twice, and failed many more times.

Also you are correct about your issue being from the bug in dop-ios 11.3-11.4, this is exactly what it does. Game disc will not load from system menu, recovery menu, maintenance mode, channels will not load, bannerbomb works, disc/online update works, priiloader works, boot2 bootmii works. Unfortunatly bannerbomb does not work on 4.3, and you updated so no more priiloader. Hope you have that patched ios80 or a nand backup from bootmii. You will probably need to send you wii to DeadlyFoez to reprogram the nand if you wand to fix it.

mikebarker00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm I am afraid I never did any of them so I highly doubt I have a patched ios80.

So can I class my Wii has basically dead?

Oh yeah, I tried to reload the sm via the home button and the Wii just reboots (surprise surprise)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm trying to undestand what happened, without understanding it, it's impossible to tell if there's another solution than a nand programmer. And i always thought a nand programme is not going to help you if you don't have the keys of your Wii.

So some version of DOP-IOS MOD had some weird bug(feature!?):
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=206684
that it installs some fake signed ticket for ???, i guess in order to get infos on the installed stuff. Am i right when i guess it's a ticket for every title found on the wii and it has the version 0xffff?
And because of this bug, the wii is able to start the system menu IOS and the system menu, but everything else crashes?
Also, updating works, but does not remove these ticket(s)?

I am really sorry for you, it looks really bad. In fact, this is the way i would brick a wii if i wanted to be mean and a black screen brick wouldn't be mean enough.

Streamlinehd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
mikebarker00 said:
Hmm I am afraid I never did any of them so I highly doubt I have a patched ios80.

So can I class my Wii has basically dead?

Oh yeah, I tried to reload the sm via the home button and the Wii just reboots (surprise surprise)

Yeah, you have the Dop-ios bug as mauifrog said. Unfortunately this bug is a pain in the ass to fix on system menu 4.3 because bannerbomb, games, and channels don't work. I wouldn't give up yet, you may still have a few options. If you have Bootmii installed to boot2 your drive light on the Wii will blink twice at startup. If this is the case, you simply need to use cboot2 to load Dop-mii and run a system check. If you don't have Bootmii installed as boot2, you may have Priiloader. Check to see if Priiloader is installed by pressing and holding the reset button on the Wii at startup until the Priiloader menu appears. If Priiloader is installed you can use the load/install file option to load Dop-Mii and run a system check which will fix the bug. If you don't have Bootmii or Priiloader, there's still a chance you installed a patched system menu IOS. What softmod guide did you follow? It could be possible that the guide had you install a patched system menu IOS in which case this brick is repairable via my system menu v912 downgrade disc.

Worst case scenario, you can have a backup of your working nand flashed with a programmer. Did you use Bootmii to backup your Wii before softmodding? If you did you will have a file called nand.bin on your SD card (unless you deleted or moved it). If you didn't make a backup, your last chance would be if the Wii is boot2 Boomii compatible it can be flashed with Bootmii and repaired. If you wish to provide your serial number I or someone else can tell you if the Wii is compatible or not.

mikebarker00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, I dont seem to have bootmmi installed as boot2 and also dont have priiloader installed.

I also dont have a nand.bin.

So my last two lives seem to be the v912 downgrade disc (What is this)? or to see if my Wii is boots2 Bootmii compatible... My Wii serial number is LEH14740416 (a 7 in a square?)

mikebarker00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok guys I tried the v912 downgrade disc method but my Wii will not read this disc but I managed to get it into recovery mode via the Gamecube pad, is there any other way I can downgrade in this mode via usb or somthing?

Streamlinehd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
mikebarker00 said:
Ok guys I tried the v912 downgrade disc method but my Wii will not read this disc but I managed to get it into recovery mode via the Gamecube pad, is there any other way I can downgrade in this mode via usb or somthing?

Unfortunately that downgrade disc is the only thing that would help from RM. To run the downgrade disc you would need a trucha patched and dip patched IOS80 or trucha patched IOS80 and a modchip. I wouldn't recommend spending the money on a modchip unless you are sure you have IOS80 trucha patched and this is why I asked what guide you used. The good news is that your Wii is boot2 compatible which means it can be repaired by someone with a nand programmer. The cost to have someone flash your nand is almost the same price you would pay for a modchip so I would say paying someone to flash it is your best bet at this point.

mikebarker00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Streamlinehd said:
mikebarker00 said:

Unfortunately that downgrade disc is the only thing that would help from RM. To run the downgrade disc you would need a trucha patched and dip patched IOS80 or trucha patched IOS80 and a modchip. I wouldn't recommend spending the money on a modchip unless you are sure you have IOS80 trucha patched and this is why I asked what guide you used. The good news is that your Wii is boot2 compatible which means it can be repaired by someone with a nand programmer. The cost to have someone flash your nand is almost the same price you would pay for a modchip so I would say paying someone to flash it is your best bet at this point.

Alright, yeah I will look into but I have one for question, would it be cheaper for me to buy a used Wii off Ebay rather then pay someone to flash the nand?

Streamlinehd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Out of respect for DeadlyFoez I would recommend you contact him and ask what he charges for the service. This is his territory on this forum so I won't go there. I will however say that it should be less to have it flashed but I'm sure round trip shipping to the states will drive up the price.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Quite frankly, it is better for the OP to send his wii to Bad_Ad84 because it will cost him a lot less in shipping charges. I'll send him a message and have him check out this thread and contact you.

Bad_Ad84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Drop me a PM if you want to go with the nand programming route.

Thanks to deadly for sending this thread to me and forwarding the work
smile.gif

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, without a nand backup or the keys, nand reprogramming is useless... unless your wii has a vulnerable boot1 so bootmii can be installed to boot2. Compare the serial number of your wii to the list in THIS THREAD to see if your wii might have a vulnerable boot1.

Other than that, I know of a certain someone who is currently working on a fix for this issue. Hopefully in a week or 2 the fix will be available if everything goes as planned. I can't talk about anymore details about it until given permission to do so.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds very interesting. Wonder what kind of fix this would be......

Either way earlier in the thread the serial number was compared by another member from the way it looks it has a vunerable boot1. Hope this wii can be saved. for that matter I hope all the ones that currently can't can be soon!

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, after this great person does his thing and his research and find more info out and this and that and all the other, then hopefully this will come to light without needing a reflashing. Whatever is cheapest for the OP is the best solution.

Bad_Ad84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
Unfortunately, without a nand backup or the keys, nand reprogramming is useless... unless your wii has a vulnerable boot1 so bootmii can be installed to boot2. Compare the serial number of your wii to the list in THIS THREAD to see if your wii might have a vulnerable boot1.

QUOTE(mikebarker00 @ May 2 2011, 08:09 PM) My Wii serial number is LEH14740416 (a 7 in a square?)

His Wii is repairable with NAND programming, I know LEH numbers off by heart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Tonight's nightmare sponsored but G-Fuel! lolo