Homebrew I saw an interesting comment...

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Trust me, this probably means nothing, but it's worth a shot]

tUYyllM.png
I saw this on smea's stream -
tUYyllM.png

I'm curious as to - how so? All I've ever heard is "it's impossible" and it does seem hard/impossible to do.
Would it involve decrypting the game Vitamin style? Something like HANS or Loadiine? Is the person just plain wrong, and this thread not worth posting?

Reactions: The9thBit

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's wrong. I asked about what he's referring to on #cakey a while back. Basically, the permissions needed for a Loadiine-esque setup are out of userland reach.
We can launch ROM hacks, and we have full control over (non-privileged) process launching. So why can't we slip in entire games? The problem is the code.bin. Replacing that requires privileges that we don't have in userland. Though I don't know the specifics, (or anything about it period) it works on the Wii U because it's not as smart about it. Apparently.
I don't blame you for asking, however ;)

Last edited by Swiftloke,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's wrong. I asked about what he's referring to on #cakey a while back. Basically, the permissions needed for a Loadiine-esque setup are out of userland reach.
We can launch ROM hacks, and we have full control over (non-privileged) process launching. So why can't we slip in entire games? The problem is the code.bin. Replacing that requires privileges that we don't have in userland. Though I don't know the specifics, (or anything about it period) it works on the Wii U because it's not as smart about it. Apparently.
I don't blame you for asking, however ;)
Alright then...

But I wonder, is there any other way around it?

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright then...

But I wonder, is there any other way around it?
Probably not. Even though I don't really understand the specifics that well, (barely at all) I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it would require on-the-fly patching. This would be extremely difficult to do, and definitely impossible from userland. With the difficulty involved, it'd be easier (or at least more worthwhile) to find an arm9 exploit.

Reactions: CeeDee

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
It will be a pain in the ass to get all the services you need with just a random title takeover. Very limiting.
With an a11 khax this would seem to be more feasible.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Im 100% precent sure this is an edgy teenager who doesn't pay attention in computer class
Nope, Myria is the one who developed libkhax. You know, the library that is pretty juch the basis for all <= 9.2 hacks?
And btw this could be possible in 9.3-10.7 but with the removal of svcBackdoor (stubbed) it's kinda... impossible?

Last edited by Wolfvak,

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible; it's just annoyingly difficult to implement. It's not worth the trouble. And I sure as hell wouldn't help with it.

You just overwrite an existing game's code and read-only data using gspwn, and redirect RomFS reads elsewhere. But it would have to be done on a per-game basis, making this totally not worth it.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's possible; it's just annoyingly difficult to implement. It's not worth the trouble. And I sure as hell wouldn't help with it.

You just overwrite an existing game's code and read-only data using gspwn, and redirect RomFS reads elsewhere. But it would have to be done on a per-game basis, making this totally not worth it.
There you have it folks. We have our poster :)

Reactions: Ricken

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
It can be possible as said, but it will be too difficult and complex to do anything that no one will bother as said.
And also as said there"s no much people that are going to do that for let the piracy going trough it.

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's wrong.
She.

By the way, this is how .3dsx files work. Homebrew Launcher replaces an existing program's code and read-only data using gspwn.

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I have had a few ideas in the past not related to game takeover(well, semi-related, but not the main part of them). I might look into a few things, but no one get their hopes up.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
There's also the problem of provided services: say that you want to run a pirate title that relies on services like the one used by TWLSaveTool (and let's pretend the PokeBank transfer app doesnt exist). In that case youd probably be screwed as soon as the game tries to use it.

Same with any other game/app that requires services and you dont have a legit title that provides them.
svcBackdoor *could* be used, but that relies on pre11.0 and it slightly fucks up the memory iirc, so it may leave it in a state the game wont be able to handle.

Last edited by Wolfvak,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I think if you got a single, simple game working in userland, there would be a huge outcry for more and developer interest would surely follow.

Never underestimate pirates. :P

Last edited by zoogie,

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh. Thanks for the explanation!
But why would it have to be done on a per-game basis? :unsure:
(Disclaimer: I don't care about pirating on 11.0. I have a9lh, plus im not a pirate ;))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey