Hacking I need some opinions.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was thinking about buying a modchip and I'm thinking about getting Wasabi and getting Wii-Clip with it. (I would solder it on myself but I don't want to take the chance of soldering it on my Wii.. I have experience soldering as one of my classes I'm taking in school, we're soldering resistors ICs and stuff. Also, Wasabi can upgrade via DVD and I don't want to open my Wii up everytime I want to update.) but I don't know if I should. Cause there are some problems sometimes with modchips like games not working and Wii's not working all together. Plus I don't have to put so much money into buying games as I can download and burn backups.

The other problem is that should I get the Wii Freeloader since I'm getting a modchip. If I get the Freeloader, I won't have to deal with opening the Wii and messing up something. But that means more money out of my pocket for import games. (And there are a number of games I want right now.) Plus, I could always download the Freeloader ISO or something.

So which should I go for: Wasabi modchip or should I just go ahead and buy the freeloader? I need opinions.
unsure.gif

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wasabi modchip is still pretty new, I'd wait a little for some user opinions. And the freeloader will just allow you to play import games, while a modchip will allow you to do that and play backups.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You lucky b**tard you get to take solder classes in school! Wait, are you in college? Since I'm only in 8th grade. I really want to learn how to solder, and I've watched videos and have felt confident about it, but still...

If I had a D2C Wii I would get Wasabi.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
Wasabi modchip is still pretty new, I'd wait a little for some user opinions. And the freeloader will just allow you to play import games, while a modchip will allow you to do that and play backups.
I wasn't going to buy it right away. I was going to wait on some peoples opinions and THEN buy it. (If its worth buying.) And yeh, I know what the Freeloader can do but all I really want to do IS play imports but also have a little extra features to help in the hacking community and such.

QUOTE(Nin10doFan @ Mar 4 2008, 02:46 AM) You lucky b**tard you get to take solder classes in school! Wait, are you in college? Since I'm only in 8th grade. I really want to learn how to solder, and I've watched videos and have felt confident about it, but still...

Actually, I'm in high school. 12th Grade. And soldering kinda isn't that hard. My first time, I kept bridging the solder and everything. (Which was just last week.) Now I don't really do that anymore. Most of it comes out perfect and I haven't bridged anything yet. I just don't have the equip (at home.) to do it which is why I'm getting Wii-Clip unless I can somehow borrow it from my teacher or something.

Marticuno

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Infinity-X said:
Salamantis said:
I wasn't going to buy it right away. I was going to wait on some peoples opinions and THEN buy it. (If its worth buying.) And yeh, I know what the Freeloader can do but all I really want to do IS play imports but also have a little extra features to help in the hacking community and such.

QUOTE(Nin10doFan @ Mar 4 2008, 02:46 AM) You lucky b**tard you get to take solder classes in school! Wait, are you in college? Since I'm only in 8th grade. I really want to learn how to solder, and I've watched videos and have felt confident about it, but still...

Actually, I'm in high school. 12th Grade. And soldering kinda isn't that hard. My first time, I kept bridging the solder and everything. (Which was just last week.) Now I don't really do that anymore. Most of it comes out perfect and I haven't bridged anything yet. I just don't have the equip (at home.) to do it which is why I'm getting Wii-Clip unless I can somehow borrow it from my teacher or something.

I'm in what you will call 11th grade, taking electronics as special or whatever. Soldering isn't hard.... I mean it's just some tin to connect two points so that power can go through
biggrin.gif
(duh)
Just make sure none of the tin touches other metallic points. If they do, they will short-circuit.

blizzak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
n
XP
Country
Canada
Richy Freeway said:
If I'm not mistaken, the Wii Clip is no good for the Wasabi. Totally different installation points.

i believe he talking about this wii clip http://www.wii-clip.com/ which claims to be fully compatible with the WASABI chip, but i have my doubts seeing as how it's not released yet. although you still have to solder the chip on the clip.

I've definitely considering modding my wii now that WASAbi has been announced as well and would prefer a quick "snap-on" installation. just incase i want/need to remove it for future mod chips or repairs

bosscolor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Btw Wasabi seems to be a really great modchip.

It's the only one with a flash memory inside
ohmy.gif

But we don't really know if the Team is serious but it seems to (Their website is the best looking for example)

for WASABI chip need one more wire for the point F with the wii clip...

So you'll have to solder on your motherbroad

NoAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Inexperienced solderers (spelling??) tend to use too much tin. (I speak from experience here.)
This can lead to electical shorts when the solder points are close toghether. It may also cause electomagnetical interference, but on digital circuits, like your WII, that is not so much a problem.

Do not underestimate the difficulties in soldering directly to the IC pins.
The pins are tiny and closely spaced so make sure you have the right equipment and make sure that you know exactly what you are doing. Shorts are easily created, and they WILL blow up your system.
Let's put it this way: I would not want a high school student who just learned to solder 2 wires together last week to solder an MOD chip into my WII. I want it done by a professional.
I've been working in electronics for several years after my education in electronics but have moved more or less away from it since.
I've soldered plenty of computer boards myself (For some of you it may be hard to believe, but a long time ago they were actually soldered together. None of this artsy-fartsy SMD stuff) but I do not dare to solder a mod-chip myself. Especially not a 30-wire one.

The wii-clip is a good alternative.
Soldering the clip on the mod-chip seems to be simple enough: more spacing, bigger contacts.
You still need to be careful and watch out with the amount of tin though.

There will be a clip for Wasabi, but it's not released yet. So you will have to be patient.
In the meantime, I advise you to practice soldering a lot.

In all hostey, I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing as you.
I know that I can solder a mod-chip onto the wii-clip. No problem.
And that wii-clip thing seems to be pretty good. So I'm waiting a little while to see what they come up with for Wasabi and then I'll decide.

If you feel confident that you can mod your own WII, then go for it.
Let us know how you fare.

Cheers,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 10180p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality