Gaming I need some expert opinion

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i heard that some new psp slim are now unhackable so how do i know if its unhackable? is there any way for me to tell? i was thinking of buying from a friend who bought teh psp in euro untouched. it comes with only battery and a charger. dunno if it comes with a memory stick though
the sticky said taht there were other easier ways to get custom firmware. so what method is the easiest and will i have to mod my battery too if i use those newer method?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
What firmware version is it on? If it is on 5.03 you can run ChickHEN to load up a temporary custom firmware and test to see which motherboard your PSP has. I'll see if I can find a tutorial somewhere with all the files needed but in the meantime here is a way to test without hacking at all.

http://forums.pspslimhacks.com/user-help/1...-me-answer.html

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i saw the thread in your link but it has something like soft modding the battery. so does that mean i do not have to cut my battery to make a pandora battery? and by magic memory stick do you mean "a memory stick that has custom firmware on it"? also how does one know if i already have a custom firmware installed?

soulfire

gear... secando
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah i soft modded my own battery its pretty easy but you can't use it anymore to play games so if you softmod it i dont think you can use it anymore are a normal battery

a magic memory stick is just a normal memory stick but it has a magic logo on it and you can use it to put cfw on it.

and if you go to system options of your psp and then psp info or something you will see you firmware number.

if you just see just the number then in hasn't got cfw if there is something behind it its probably modded and has cfw.

example is firmware 5.00 ( if only that is has no cfw )

firmware 5.00 m33 ( then it has cfw on it )

FNQer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
figure out which motherboard version of slim you have. also, important to know what OFW you have already installed on it.

Recently, i started with a Slim with OFW and installed CFW 5.00M33-6 (not yet on those GEN-X) without using PB and MMS. Hellcat's Recovery Flasher + chickHEN R2 + some OFW + CFW = easy to install. you also got those xgen upgraders as an alternative method.

the conditions are that you have to get to 5.00 OFW installed to get CFW 5.00M33-6. if you have the latest OFW 6.10 or is it 6.20 then you might be stuffed.

i reckon sometimes its better to hold off upgrading to the latest firmware (upgrade/update) - especially when the OFW of PSP has always been a counterstep measure taken by Sony in their battle against evil. Sony dangles some carrot in releasing new system features but then carries a large stick of patching up loopholes and exploits to stop homebrew from running.

also TA-088v3 motherboard (version of Slim) does not run full cfw but it runs homebrew enabler. and then i think, there may be the later mb version of slim which are more troublesome installing cfw, but not sure about my assertion here.

which motherboard version? - check the battery compartment for serial number, date code, the OFW initially installed, the serial number on the retail packaging, etc.

a bit of a catch 22. if you got chickHEN or MHUspeed up and goin, then you would be able to identify your mb by using homebrew PSPident and Dark Alex's Motherboard identifier (not real name, can't remember). but these homebrew identifier s/w are to differentiate betw the TA-088v3 and TA-090v1 (i think) from the rest - to determine whether to install a full CFW or a homebrew enabler. remember you need to have a hacked psp to run homebrew on it.

i am not sure, if you have the undersirable mb, what happens when you try any of these upgrading methods - you would want to know what happens if it bricks and then if it does brick, whether you can recover/repair using the pb and mms.

i have a pb and mms handy, for just in case of an emergency - to repair bricked psp. you can soft- or hard-mod to create a pb but then you could get a 'pre-fabricated' pb.

if your mate purchased the slim a while back then its highly likely to be hackable with full cfw. hopefully, your mate hasn't upgraded the OFW on it to the latest...

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
If you're in the general Metro Manila area, just check around Greenhills. There are a TON of places willing to install CFW for you. There's a place in University Mall in Taft Avenue that'll install it for 200php. Check with some other game stores in SM. I dunno if they mod tho... Install and update CFW, yes. Mod... not so sure.

Sengster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
sorry to hijack this thread.

I have a psp slim 3000 with ofw 5.50.
I told that i couldn't update with chickhen because i need to have 5.03 and lower.
However now there is 5.50 GEN D, am I able to do a cfw update to 5.50 gen?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Sengster said:

I told that i couldn't update with chickhen because i need to have 5.03 and lower.

You can't do anything.
5.50 GEN D is for fully hackable PSP's.
PSP 3000's are not fully hackable, (only semi-hackable on 5.03 or lower)
I suggest staying on the firmware for now, don't upgrade because chickhen R3 might come out sooner or later.

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
deanxxczx said:
Sengster said:

You can't do anything.
I suggest staying on the firmware for now, don't upgrade because chickhen R3 might come out sooner or later.

No ChickHEN R3 was cancelled (If i am not mistaken) . And if it were to come it, they were
only developing it for 5.03 OFW.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Bently said:
deanxxczx said:
Sengster said:

You can't do anything.

No ChickHEN R3 was cancelled (If i am not mistaken) . And if it were to come it, they were
only developing it for 5.03 OFW.

No it wasnt canceled. Just really slowly being developed .

QUOTE(DarkSpace @ Dec 20 2009, 04:59 AM)
What was the R3, was it for Revisions?

IIRC, its for 5.50 OFW

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
Sengster said:

You can't do anything.

i went to a shop and it says it was using r2 chicken mod and i also heard that if you close the psp or take out the battery it will erase the cfw. is that true? if so will my games be intact after that? how do i prevent it from completely shutting down?

is that true that all the psp3000 are unhackable? I saw in the store that psp3000 also has chicken r2 mod, i dont know if i should buy that cuz im afraid that they are just partially hackable.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anthony001 said:
deanxxczx said:
Sengster said:

You can't do anything.

i went to a shop and it says it was using r2 chicken mod and i also heard that if you close the psp or take out the battery it will erase the cfw. is that true? if so will my games be intact after that? how do i prevent it from completely shutting down?

is that true that all the psp3000 are unhackable? I saw in the store that psp3000 also has chicken r2 mod, i dont know if i should buy that cuz im afraid that they are just partially hackable.
only PSP 3000's with 5.03 below are hackable,if you close the PSP 3k,you'll have to do ChickHEN again

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Sengster said:

Just means you'll have to kickstart the CFW all over again. Your games will still be intact, no worries. The best way not to shut it down is to put it on sleep mode. Works pretty well...

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i heard that the psp 3000 would hang if it was low on battery. is that true? should i buy the 300 series or the 2000 and lastly i heard that 3000 can't use pandora battery, so what can i use instead of the slim or phat pandora battery?

oh and will chicken let me play ps1 games? whcihc cfw is better?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anthony001 said:
i heard that the psp 3000 would hang if it was low on battery. is that true? should i buy the 300 series or the 2000 and lastly i heard that 3000 can't use pandora battery, so what can i use instead of the slim or phat pandora battery?

i dunno about the hang thing.you better get Slim so you can use pandora.ChickHEN brings you to a homebrew CFW ONLY.after bringing it in HEN you use the XGEN updater to bring you to a CFW which will run pops so you can play PSX games

lad_cali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anthony001 said:

I don't know about if 3k would hang or not cause i haven't heard anyone talking about this problem. Should u buy the 3k or 2k is depended on what u want. For example, do u want to buy a used or new console, and do u willing to spend a lot on a psp. If u have money to spend, u should buy a brand new psp 2k bundle (Daxter, God of war, star war are fully hackable). If u live on the US, u could buy these bundles on Amazon, and I think the cheapest is around 270$.

PSP 3k with firmware 5.03 or lower can be hack but not fully as it will return to ofw after u turn off your psp. PSP 3k can play iso, ps1 on memory stick like a hacked psp 2k. You can hack a psp 3k (firmware 5.03 or lower) with chickhen and 5.03 Gen-C. Basically, chickhen will allow u to install custom firmware (which is 5.03 Gen-C) on your psp. However, after you install custom firmware on your psp 3k, be sure to not turn off your psp ( hold the power button for more than 3 second), but you could put your psp in sleep mode to keep your psp stay on custom firmware. If you accident turn off your psp, u could always hack it again with chickhen and 5.03 Gen-c.

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks guys! i was confused how cfw works lol. i thought that if i install chicken it is different from installing m33/gen-c. so let me get this straight

1.) install chicken by using pandora battery
2.) after installing chicken i will now be able to install m33/gen-3 fw(do i need to do the pandora battery again?)

did i get that right? whats the hen and xgen updater? will i need to use pandora's battery again if i use xgen updater?

lad_cali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anthony001 said:
thanks guys! i was confused how cfw works lol. i thought that if i install chicken it is different from installing m33/gen-c. so let me get this straight

1.) install chicken by using pandora battery
2.) after installing chicken i will now be able to install m33/gen-3 fw(do i need to do the pandora battery again?)

did i get that right? whats the hen and xgen updater? will i need to use pandora's battery again if i use xgen updater?

pandora battery only is used for fully hackable psp 2k and 1k. You dont need and cannot use pandora battery to hack psp 3k (firmware 5.03 or lower) and psp 2k (main ta088v3).

so here is the steps to install custom firmware on psp 3k (firmware 5.03 only, if u have firmware lower than 5.03, you will need to download ofw 5.03 and install it on your psp. Do not use system update option in your psp!!!).
1. Install chickhen (it may take a few times, or may be 20-30 times, to install successfully. check the system information to see if install was success or not)
2. If chickhen was installed. Install 5.03 Gen-C for hen which i believed is the latest custom firmware. Pay attention to the file name because there are 5.50 Gen-A, 5.50 Gen-B, 5.50 Gen-C, and 5.50 Gen-D. Make sure you get the right file for psp 3k.
3. After you installed 5.03 Gen-C, your psp will be able to play games on memory stick. Remember that do not turn off your psp, you can put your psp to sleep mode, but do not turn off it or you will have to hack it again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup