I need ideas to create a game!

b1g4s

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi! I need to do a project for a school and it's the final project, I want to create a game in "unity", but I have no ideas for the game. Please help me, I do not want to pay € 50 to do the project again!:cry:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious, normally we have people buzzing with ideas but no means to make them or have to have explained that ideas are worthless, or that I might well steal their idea but I have a thousand of my own to get through first, and even if I did then I would still have been the one that did all the work.

Do you know how the project is going to be marked, and indeed what kind of person is marking it? I hate love to be cynical so I do have to say play the marking system and see if a game is going to be hard to do what they want. If they want nice art then a text adventure is not going to allow you to do that very well. If they want some kind of gameplay then don't do a walking tour type game.
Is the marker likely to be a 60 year old 2 years from retirement and only ever heard of games on the news when some moron kills someone, and upon examination of their home they had one of those deadly murder simulator machines. Alternatively if you are doing some kind of 3d animation course then how are you going to do a full game of sorts when everybody else might be spending 50 hours building and rigging one model? Also on the matter of markers then it is said that when you are doing writing essays for exams that most will only read the start so make the introduction good, and that is only an essay that takes 5 minutes to read at most so make the first impressions of your game a good one -- give 'em a taste of the end game scenario if you want.

Step one. Don't make a 70 hour RPG or anything similar in scope.

Step two. Do you have any old games you like? Do you have any gameplay styles you like?

In my case there is an old arcade game called rampart. Most would say it is the precursor to tower defence games but while pong, pac man, space invaders, asteroids, tetris and the like get remade endlessly I have not seen a proper look at rampart I kind of want to say ever.
Alternatively I like co-op beat em ups. Not played a good one in a while really.

If that is not going to work for you then what sort of thing would you want to play? Adventure game could show some puzzles and art and is very doable in unity.

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Curious, normally we have people buzzing with ideas but no means to make them or have to have explained that ideas are worthless, or that I might well steal their idea but I have a thousand of my own to get through first, and even if I did then I would still have been the one that did all the work.

Do you know how the project is going to be marked, and indeed what kind of person is marking it? I hate love to be cynical so I do have to say play the marking system and see if a game is going to be hard to do what they want. If they want nice art then a text adventure is not going to allow you to do that very well. If they want some kind of gameplay then don't do a walking tour type game.
Is the marker likely to be a 60 year old 2 years from retirement and only ever heard of games on the news when some moron kills someone, and upon examination of their home they had one of those deadly murder simulator machines. Alternatively if you are doing some kind of 3d animation course then how are you going to do a full game of sorts when everybody else might be spending 50 hours building and rigging one model? Also on the matter of markers then it is said that when you are doing writing essays for exams that most will only read the start so make the introduction good, and that is only an essay that takes 5 minutes to read at most so make the first impressions of your game a good one -- give 'em a taste of the end game scenario if you want.

Step two. Do you have any old games you like? Do you have any gameplay styles you like?

In my case there is an old arcade game called rampart. Most would say it is the precursor to tower defence games but while pong, pac man, space invaders, asteroids, tetris and the like get remade endlessly I have not seen a proper look at rampart I kind of want to say ever.
Alternatively I like co-op beat em ups. Not played a good one in a while really.

If that is not going to work for you then what sort of thing would you want to play? Adventure game could show some puzzles and art and is very doable in unity.

Funny that you would mention rampart. While it can be considered a tower defence ancestor, I think the fact that it did not get as much love was the fact that it mixed up a bit too many elements in it for the time. Unlike most tower defences you have actual aiming to do. Also the use of random tetris blocks to build your territory seemed a bit unlogical to me. Added to that the 1-player difficulty wasn't that well calibrated in my opinion (if you know someone who managed to finish the 1-player mode tell him he deserves a trophy).

b1g4s

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

In this case it can not be a simple game, I had to think a little and I came to the conclusion that it would be better a survival game but the big question is what I can do to differentiate from the others. I do not want to publish the game, because I just want to finish the course so do not worry that I will give the credits to anyone who helps me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny that you would mention rampart. While it can be considered a tower defence ancestor, I think the fact that it did not get as much love was the fact that it mixed up a bit too many elements in it for the time. Unlike most tower defences you have actual aiming to do. Also the use of random tetris blocks to build your territory seemed a bit unlogical to me. Added to that the 1-player difficulty wasn't that well calibrated in my opinion (if you know someone who managed to finish the 1-player mode tell him he deserves a trophy).
On single player it varies quite a bit between versions. Compare the SNES and megadrive/genesis versions some time.
As for the elements thing to me it reminds me more of a lot of board and war games -- loads of those have build out phase and then destroy phase, not so many do it time after time but it is hardly unheard of. Even without that though I would still say plenty of older arcade games do lots of random elements, and that I called them arcade games to me serves to highlight a lot of problems with the term genre -- root beer tapper and asteroids are both arcade games and beyond both being fairly reaction/speed based there is not a lot to tie them.
All that said though the main thing that caused me to raise an eyebrow was rampart was ported to everything back when, and now barely a peep outside the occasional collection.

In this case it can not be a simple game, I had to think a little and I came to the conclusion that it would be better a survival game but the big question is what I can do to differentiate from the others. I do not want to publish the game, because I just want to finish the course so do not worry that I will give the credits to anyone who helps me.
People often say they want innovation and novel, and while those things are nice to see the pale when compared to good. Though in this case remember you are doing it for an exam so you also need to showcase something the marking scheme wants to see, I don't know what this game is for (is it for art, 3d modelling, game design, a certain sub class of game design, maths, science, history...) or I might be able to say something there.
Ignoring the marking thing then maybe start by thinking what you want to challenge.
Survival so.
Is it cold?
Is it water?
Is it food?
Is it needing to get somewhere?
Do you need to make something to signal rescue?
Do you just have to survive for a given period?
Are there hostile elements beyond the environment itself. Being hunted and being alone are two different things.
Is the player character taught anything or is it purely on what the player themselves knows? If it is going in cold then the player might in turn be taught by dying a lot -- walk up to a berry bush and it says you can harvest it, oh no they are poison berries and you would have known that if you examined the plant and saw it had milky sap.
It is a recreation of a real story?

Are you after pulse pounding action or is it a sense of boredom and hopelessness that you want to go for?

b1g4s

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
On single player it varies quite a bit between versions. Compare the SNES and megadrive/genesis versions some time.
As for the elements thing to me it reminds me more of a lot of board and war games -- loads of those have build out phase and then destroy phase, not so many do it time after time but it is hardly unheard of. Even without that though I would still say plenty of older arcade games do lots of random elements, and that I called them arcade games to me serves to highlight a lot of problems with the term genre -- root beer tapper and asteroids are both arcade games and beyond both being fairly reaction/speed based there is not a lot to tie them.
All that said though the main thing that caused me to raise an eyebrow was rampart was ported to everything back when, and now barely a peep outside the occasional collection.

People often say they want innovation and novel, and while those things are nice to see the pale when compared to good. Though in this case remember you are doing it for an exam so you also need to showcase something the marking scheme wants to see, I don't know what this game is for (is it for art, 3d modelling, game design, a certain sub class of game design, maths, science, history...) or I might be able to say something there.
Ignoring the marking thing then maybe start by thinking what you want to challenge.
Survival so.
Is it cold?
Is it water?
Is it food?
Is it needing to get somewhere?
Do you need to make something to signal rescue?
Do you just have to survive for a given period?
Are there hostile elements beyond the environment itself. Being hunted and being alone are two different things.
Is the player character taught anything or is it purely on what the player themselves knows? If it is going in cold then the player might in turn be taught by dying a lot -- walk up to a berry bush and it says you can harvest it, oh no they are poison berries and you would have known that if you examined the plant and saw it had milky sap.
It is a recreation of a real story?

Are you after pulse pounding action or is it a sense of boredom and hopelessness that you want to go for?

Thank you so much you help me a lot!

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Make a game about a dude that has to go to school to show their project but pretty much the entire world wants him dead.
Like, aliens arrive, zombies show up, earthquakes, black holes and any ridiculous thing you can imagine.

Then make that, in the end, he arrives late.

b1g4s

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Make a game about a dude that has to go to school to show their project but pretty much the entire world wants him dead.
Like, aliens arrive, zombies show up, earthquakes, black holes and any ridiculous thing you can imagine.

Then make that, in the end, he arrives late.

History of my life :sad:

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
LOL, ironically i have a lots of videogames idea but no one for programming, design and so on ( i would only able to direct the project; how the gameplay should be, how characters should look and how story was)

b1g4s

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
LOL, ironically i have a lots of videogames idea but no one for programming, design and so on ( i would only able to direct the project; how the gameplay should be, how characters should look and how story was)
Only need concepts and don't worry it's a school project I don't want make money with the project

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make a game that is a cross between Star Fox and Panzer Dragoon, but with custom armor sets and dragon breeding.

Make a walking sim that tells a story as you progress into the world

Build a tetris clone

Script a dating sim but for robots

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup