PS1/2 I need help softmoding my fat PS2.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a guide here:

http://gbatemp.net/topic/101682-ps2-softmod/page__pid__1355357#entry1355357

But the link for the files in that guide is megaupload. Which of course is no longer operational. I have everything that guide said. The action replay max, memory card, USB drive. Does anyone have another link to download the files from? Or maybe another similar guide I could follow? I'm not new to modding. I already did my wii and psp. So the one for ps2 shouldn't be hard. I'm mostly just doing this so I can play burned backup ps2 games from blank dvd-r disks.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a guide here:

http://gbatemp.net/t...57#entry1355357

But the link for the files in that guide is megaupload. Which of course is no longer operational. I have everything that guide said. The action replay max, memory card, USB drive. Does anyone have another link to download the files from? Or maybe another similar guide I could follow? I'm not new to modding. I already did my wii and psp. So the one for ps2 shouldn't be hard. I'm mostly just doing this so I can play burned backup ps2 games from blank dvd-r disks.
download the FMB noobie rar, should contain all you need on the ps2, for backed up disc at least.
freemcboot.info/downloads/Noobie_Package.rar

Also check out the guide:
http://freemcboot.info/

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks but I don't think this is going to work for me. My action replay max doesn't have the media player. I will probably have to buy a swap magic. Where can I buy swap magic 3.8?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There also the PS3 memory card adapter way (easy to get) Its not in those guides because its a newer method not even a year old...

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PS3 memory card adapter. But how do I use that to softmod the PS2?

http://www.ps3news.c...c-boot-install/

I have never used it myself, so I cannot help. Magsor said he had done it himself iirc.

Thanks but I don't think this is going to work for me. My action replay max doesn't have the media player. I will probably have to buy a swap magic. Where can I buy swap magic 3.8?

Sorry, I do not know of a reseller selling singles copy of swap magic. I have seen them on amazon for double the price of what they usually go for.
Swap magic is a nice way of playing backup but not worth buying just to install FMB. As there are many cheaper ways of getting FMB memory card without spending much. There's even a topic few threads down with people who does install for the cost of postage both ways.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait I'm confused. What exactly do I need to do to get my PS2 to play backups burned on a blank DVD? Because that's what I'm trying to do.

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait I'm confused. What exactly do I need to do to get my PS2 to play backups burned on a blank DVD? Because that's what I'm trying to do.

Use your PS3 memory card adapter to soft mod your fat ps2. I did it only 2 weeks ago and I started off in a worse situation cause I had to order the ps3 memory card adapter off ebay.

It must be the official PS3 memory card adapter. The cheap no-name brand ones won't work. They will work on your PS3 but they are not compatible with the Windows drivers and software needed to intall the hack onto your memory card. I used an official Sony 8MB memory card; however I am pretty sure others will work.

It was extremely easy to softmod the ps2 using this hack and I was able to run various games I had burned to disk.

The games had to be ESR patched and I had to launch them using the ESR launcher under FreeMcBoot..

I did have some issues getting the games to boot but I figured out a way to make it boot every time. I have a feeing my issues had more to do with the dvd media I was using. The drive seemed to have a difficult time reading the backups. If you can I reccomend using an IDE hard drive with the ps2 ethernet adapter.

Regardless, my fun with the modified ps2 was short lived as I found out about motioninjoy and pcsx2 emulator. I now use my ps3 controller and play the games in a higher resolution on my pc...

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
second previous poster seem confused. Anyhow i uploaded what i have to mediafire. The problem is that its in french. I will translate it later. (dunno when)
http://www.mediafire...2w7wqcq3nw3nmgl
1.Install the drivers for windows
2.run the correct batch file for your console
YOU DONT NEED A PS3 just a windows computer
make note that unlike the normal fmcboot install the full process takes about 30 minutes because transfer time is really slow

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
You need to install freemcboot on your memory card. Then you just patch any iso's you download with an ESR patcher, burn them onto DVDs, and your PS2 should read them.

I haven't heard of the PS3 memory card adapter trick, but if you can't make it work, I'd suggest getting Agent Under Fire (or one of the games listed that are confirmed to work, though some don't use .ELF file, such as Nightfire, which is why I suggest getting only AUF) instead of Swap Magic. It works out much cheaper, I bought a used copy of Agent Under Fire on eBay for only $4+free shipping. Since you have a fat PS2, you need to break the front panel of the disk drive (where you have that little PS symbol, don't worry though, it's attachable even after you break it), and make one of those slide cards (I used an old credit card to make it). Search for videos on youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
second previous poster seem confused. Anyhow i uploaded what i have to mediafire. The problem is that its in french. I will translate it later. (dunno when)
http://www.mediafire...2w7wqcq3nw3nmgl
1.Install the drivers for windows
2.run the correct batch file for your console
YOU DONT NEED A PS3 just a windows computer
make note that unlike the normal fmcboot install the full process takes about 30 minutes because transfer time is really slow

Thank you for this. How do I install the drivers?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I finally figured out how to install the drivers. Now I'm waiting on for the NTSC-U-Install Full to finish installing. So after this finishes, I just put the memory card into the PS2? Do I put it in slot 1 or slot 2? And does the memory card have to always stay in the PS2 when you boot it up? Installation is complete. But it didn't take 30 minutes. It took 14. Is that okay?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I put the memory card into slot 1 on my PS2. Here's what came on the screen:

Browser
System configuration
Open PS2 loader 0.8
PS2EDSL
ESR
UlaunchELF
SMS lecteur media 2.9
PSX launcher
DVD region free
Recharger la configuration
Configuration - free McBoot

How do I navigate this? Which one loads the backup?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found out that you launch backups from ESR by watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZW6U4DHi8

But it's not working for me. I put the burned disc in, highlight ESR, push X and I just get a black screen. I'm frustrated. All I wanted to do was play kingdom hearts 2 final mix+ :(

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As stated by other users you need to patch the iso using esr patcher.
I am glad it worked great for you. Your patience will pay off; you now opened your ps2 to the great world of homebrew.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... well the game plays. But there seems to be a bit of skipping/slowdown during cutscenes. In other words good but not perfect. Not complaining though. At least it's working.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... well the game plays. But there seems to be a bit of skipping/slowdown during cutscenes. In other words good but not perfect. Not complaining though. At least it's working.

Try burning the games on higher quality disc like Verbatim, or TY/JVC branded disc. Sony disc has always been decent for me and are easy to find here in stores.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did. I use verbatim DVD-R. The same kind I use to burn gamecube games and play them on wii. I have a question. Is it possible to put more than 1 PS2 ISO on a single blank DVD? I know you can for gamecube games but I haven't read anything about it for PS2 games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"