I need help after a theme...

somenewconsolemodderig

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just recently modded my 2DS and wanted to make a custom TWEWY theme for it. I followed this video but after putting the theme on my SD card with the themes folder and all the necessary files even with music under 3MB and no sound effects, it crashed my 2DS with the red text of exception and black screen. It didn't brick the whole thing, but only with the SD card on. Is there a fix for this? I don't wanna have to mod it all over again. Attached is the preview image from Usagi in case that did anything(?)

Attachments

• preview.png
    preview.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you telling me none of these theme tutorials bother including information about clearing the Home menu theme data?!

This is why Youtube videos are so heavily discouraged.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#other-troubleshooting
This isn't the first time I have seen noobies use YouTube tutorials as a way to educate themselves. About 99.9% of them get super outdated, especially following steps to perform on critical components of the system, which in turn could brick your system as a result just like with the Wii.

A rule of thumb is to follow https://3ds.hacks.guide rather than focus on a lack luster method.

somenewconsolemodderig

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I am VERY new to modding in general(modded this 2ds a day ago) but as for getting the system to work with the sd card, what should i do? im okay without the theme but i dont want a brick

(that said, if the faq tells how to get the theme to not kill me, that would be great too, and looking back i used the hacks guide but didnt check realize youtube videos are... less than stellar)

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah I am VERY new to modding in general(modded this 2ds a day ago) but as for getting the system to work with the sd card, what should i do? im okay without the theme but i dont want a brick

(that said, if the faq tells how to get the theme to not kill me, that would be great too)
What is your goal?

somenewconsolemodderig

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my goal would be to get the system working with the sd card in and get the theme up and running. using usagi nothing seemed out of the ordinary, however now that the system crashes every single time the sd card is in, its hard to say what to do. i already deleted the theme i placed in the theme folder anemone creates, but that didnt seem to do anything.
Post automatically merged:

EDIT: using kywjors(tysfm) link to the 3DS troubleshooting, the system is now unbricked! however, after this is it safe to install the theme, or will i experience this process again? i dont mean to sound ungrateful, this is already MORE than enough, I just would like to know if it's safe to install now that the theme data is cleared

Last edited by somenewconsolemodderig,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT: using kywjors(tysfm) link to the 3DS troubleshooting, the system is now unbricked!
Why didn't you try that before asking "what should I do" again..?

Also, please don't say your system is "bricked" if it's still doing things like working with the SD card removed.

however, after this is it safe to install the theme
I don't know why you would expect that. But I also have no particular idea why the theme isn't working to begin with.

Reactions: ShinyDarkrai47

somenewconsolemodderig

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why didn't you try that before asking "what should I do" again..?

Also, please don't say your system is "bricked" if it's still doing things like working with the SD card removed.

I don't know why you would expect that. But I also have no particular idea why the theme isn't working to begin with.
-i was trying to weigh in on the situation, also i was still looking through replies atm

-as for bricked, it felt bricked considering there isn't a whole lot you can do without an sd card to my knowledge

finally, if i just used the 3ds theme creator(usagi) it shouldn't have had an issue, and as i said, the music file i selected was within 2mb, so there was no reason for it to have caused an issue. i guess what im trying to say is, if I simply made the music file bcstm, and smdh and body_lz.bin, it should have done its job just fine. the image dimensions fit the screen, so really I just want the theme to work, and I didn't do anything which should cause a crash

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-as for bricked, it felt bricked considering there isn't a whole lot you can do without an sd card to my knowledge
You can do a whole lot more than you can with a "brick"!

I didn't do anything which should cause a crash
Well, it crashed anyway. You can either try to find more information, or you can try different things.

somenewconsolemodderig

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FINAL EDIT: i got it working!!

turns out either the way the folder was was unzipped, or usagi was weird. in any case i used kameeditor and now it works! thanks to everyone for guiding me in the right direction!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hi