I need a web host

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Ace, Jul 3, 2011.

Jul 3, 2011

I need a web host by Ace at 10:01 PM (515 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Ace
    OP

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    Heya, tempers.

As a few of you may recall, I created the Tempbar almost 5 or 6 months back. Back then, Mazor was hosting it, presumably with unlimited bandwidth. However, his domain went down, and as did the website.
    Recently, I got a backup of the website sent by him at my request (Thanks so much, Mazor!), and I decided I could try finding some web host. I first went with a free hosting plan (2GB webspace, 10GB bandwidth), and I opened this on the 28th, updated the link in the thread.
    Whether it was due to the traffic of my personal use of the website, or everyone else using it again, I hit the bandwidth cap in 5 days, and got my account and domain suspended, on the grounds that my website was running their CPU over 70%, and that was apparently very bad. So, I sent a help ticket to let me shut down the site until further notice, and here I am.

What I seek now is a new host with PHP-compatability, and hopefully with unlimited bandwidth. I'd also very, very, very much prefer a yearly fee, rather than a monthly one, because I really don't know whether I'll be able to pay the same amount every month. I know a few of you host websites of your own, and since I am a real newbie at this, I'd really like to find something that'll not get me banned from webhosting [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,

Ace Faith~

2. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    heliohost.org has (iirc) unlimited bandwith, but only 200MB storage space

and it's free by the way

and it has php, and other shit

here are other free webhosts (some of them dont give the same things though)

3. Ace
    OP

Sweden
    Thanks. I might just go with heliohost. And trust me, I'm not gonna need anymore than 200 MB, even. I probably Only need around 100 kB, the problem is since the sidebar constantly updates (due to the high activity on the site), it pushes the bandwidth and CPU to the limit... Alright, I'm registering, then I'll see if it works out for me.

4. Sausage Head

Netherlands
    don't know about the downtime there, as i dont check on my empty website very often (read: never)

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Or you could ask Costello very nicely and come to some sort of agreement to make it official?

6. Sausage Head

Netherlands
    tempbar.gbatemp.net [​IMG]

7. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    X10hosting.com

8. Ace
    OP

Sweden
    Hmmm......... I'll see if helio work good first, I think.

Another thing I might be able to do is to donate the source to anyone who'd be willing to work on it further, or change its direction. It would all be easier if it were a Greasmonkey script of some sort, but I don't know anyone who can. As it stands now, it'd be unfair to host the Tempbar here because it feels massively incomplete.